reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not related to ReefPi I have an electrical question and given all the sparkys on this forum I'm hoping someone is able to share there input on the below.

I dose 2 part using the BRS 1.2ml/min dosers. My Alk doser runs 1.2 but the calc is almost double at 2.1 so I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to adjust the motor speed. Pretty much every BRS doser varies from 1.2-2.2 ml/min, it's a crapshoot what you get.

The BRS doser uses the below AC motor, unfortunately I cant find the datasheet on the OEMs website so the below pic is the only info on the motor I have.
1603215502898.png

I am wondering if I could use this AC motor controller to slow down the doser motor a bit which is made to work with AC fans from 8-50 watts. Does anyone know if this may or may not work?

I'd cry if I burnt out the motor on my new doser so hoping I can get some feedback before attempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1603215424111.png
I’m not sure about this. You have to try it out and let us know. I don’t think any of us is using this , to make a informed advice

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I'm having a weird thing regarding macros, I made a feed macro to switch off my return pump and wavemaker, also disable one of the temperature sensors to prevent the chiller switching on during feeding.

However only the item that's listed first will disable, on earlier versions it would work on a single macro. My work around is to have 3 separate macros and press run one after the other.

Is this normal behaviour with recent versions?

Can anyone else test and verify whether the issue exists on other setups?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I'm having a weird thing regarding macros, I made a feed macro to switch off my return pump and wavemaker, also disable one of the temperature sensors to prevent the chiller switching on during feeding.

However only the item that's listed first will disable, on earlier versions it would work on a single macro. My work around is to have 3 separate macros and press run one after the other.

Is this normal behaviour with recent versions?

Can anyone else test and verify whether the issue exists on other setups?
It is not normal . Is there any error in the log?

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got past my password problem, but so far I have a temp sensor hooked up - no problem configuring that - and a ph probe. When I try to configure that but when I try to choose analog input nothing shows up. I am using the robo tank with a pi 3+

Got it all set up

Last edited:

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not related to ReefPi I have an electrical question and given all the sparkys on this forum I'm hoping someone is able to share there input on the below.

I dose 2 part using the BRS 1.2ml/min dosers. My Alk doser runs 1.2 but the calc is almost double at 2.1 so I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to adjust the motor speed. Pretty much every BRS doser varies from 1.2-2.2 ml/min, it's a crapshoot what you get.

This looks like a synchronous motor to me. I'm not sure if the controller you are looking at would support this type of motor and what type they use in AC muffin fans.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went off into the weeds in life here for a while. I would like to eventually get a reef-pi setup for my new tank here at some point hopefully.. Is there a better place to look at building up a reef-pi in general? I see someone said to look at build threads. Could you list a few of the good ones that would be worth looking at maybe?

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks I got some inventing to do.. LOL

They do have this automated tester. I haven't checked recently how well it works and how long it takes to get one.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have this automated tester. I haven't checked recently how well it works and how long it takes to get one.

I got to see one in action when they were first released into the market ( IF I remember right, the beginning of 2010).... way pricy then as it is still more than I would like to spend.
I like to keep my systems as simple as I can for the most part. I also refuse to get a Apex system. I guess I just don't want to take the fun out of the hobby by over automating everything, just want also want to play.

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The BRS doser uses the below AC motor, unfortunately I cant find the datasheet on the OEMs website so the below pic is the only info on the motor I have.
1603215502898.png

I am wondering if I could use this AC motor controller to slow down the doser motor a bit which is made to work with AC fans from 8-50 watts. Does anyone know if this may or may not work?

I'd cry if I burnt out the motor on my new doser so hoping I can get some feedback before attempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1603215424111.png

Scrapping that attempt and buying 12v dosers from aliexpress and reusing old 12v power supplies is probably going to be cheaper, more reliable and safer than messing with the mains voltage of equipment that wasn't made for that. I got 6 with similar throughput directly from the kamoer factory for 36€.

Last edited:

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went off into the weeds in life here for a while. I would like to eventually get a reef-pi setup for my new tank here at some point hopefully.. Is there a better place to look at building up a reef-pi in general? I see someone said to look at build threads. Could you list a few of the good ones that would be worth looking at maybe?
There are some good build threads listed here. https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/resources/

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a synchronous motor to me. I'm not sure if the controller you are looking at would support this type of motor and what type they use in AC muffin fans.

Those controllers usually don't change the line frequency so its not going to work (they just chop some part of the waveform like a normal triac dimmer).

Have you triple checked the tubing? Also, mark the rollers with a sharpy and count actual revolutions per minute to see if the motor is running faster. Sync motors would only run at line speed or some multiple of it - so a multiple of 60Hz. Its possible whatever BRS is getting has different gearing mounted in it of course, or they're loading different ID tubing.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got past my password problem, but so far I have a temp sensor hooked up - no problem configuring that - and a ph probe. When I try to configure that but when I try to choose analog input nothing shows up. I am using the robo tank with a pi 3+

Got it all set up
Did you add Any of the the ph driver ? Analog inputs are created using that

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the adafruit guides

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrapping that attempt and buying 12v dosers from aliexpress and reusing old 12v power supplies is probably going to be cheaper, more reliable and safer than messing with the mains voltage of equipment that wasn't made for that. I got 6 with similar throughput directly from the kamoer factory for 36€.
My experience has been that diluted addition based on timer running 12v dc peristaltic pump is more than enough for my two parts. I still want to get stepper integration done, for more controlled dosing , but that’s related to testing (alk ) not dosing as such

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So remember a while back that someone was trying to use a pressure sensor to sence what the water level is in a tank. Did that work out?

pies666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
Using reef-pi for more than year now. I've got a strange problem which I suspect might be hardware one.
Sometimes when controller switch off/on devices (via timer) all the temp sensors (3 pcs) start reporting 0 deg C temperature. If I don't switch any equipment on/off all is fine.

I've also noticed that after this foult my external temp sensor is getting hot. When I reboot device all is fine but sensor is reporting 50 deg C or something close to that and decreasing to my room temp.

Any idea what can couse this behaviour? I suspect that there must be circut short somewhere. I'd replace the sensor straight away but as I said this problem only occurs while switching on and off other equimpent - also which sensor? All 3? This suggest that the problem is somewhere else, not the sensor itself. On the other hand all of them are conected to the same data cable so maybe this data pin is somehow shorting? They don't fail after every single switch. It can work ok for lets say 10 switches and then fail on 11th. Reverse voltage coming back from switch and somehow interupt proper work of sensors?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
My experience has been that diluted addition based on timer running 12v dc peristaltic pump is more than enough for my two parts. I still want to get stepper integration done, for more controlled dosing , but that’s related to testing (alk ) not dosing as such
Yeah steppers are nice for sure with their consistency and extra capabilities, but you definitely need to plan around the sound the make and dampen it somehow.

For myself, i have found that with the 12v dc pumps (with 1mm inner tube diameter, smaller than usual but if you need bigger tubes you don't need these fine adjustments anyway) i have achieved consistency where 18 out of 20 dosing attempts (consecutive, discounting drying out over longer periods) i can get exactly 3 drops (~0.17ml in total), 1 time it will be 2 drops and one time 4. and so far that calibration has held for a year atleast.

And that was with a tubeholder wider than 1mm, i didn't bother with calibrating on just the tubes or trying titration tips because i have found that adding or subtracting the 3 drops to a larger dose is enough adjustment.

Last edited:

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks for your input. I've reached the exact same conclusion...steppers are undoubtedly the way to go.

Now if only there was some DIY controller I could use to control them :cool:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just a quick question, now I have done pwm on light and exchanged some leds with 420nm and 400nm, all whats is left for full auto is missing sensors when liquids are running low. I use 7 dosing pumps for dosing . No wc for allmost 3 years. Can this be done on pwm? If so with what. I have 2 expansion boards I can use. Other stuff is all automated on reefpi ok milwakee controller for ca reactor is not on pi..tnx

8DF4C774-68B6-425E-9D0F-477C0278C19C.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back