reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1610474231743.png

Chart Min/Chart Max
I had to do a full browser refresh.. which I had though I had done.. but apparently not. I see it now.

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably amazon. I don't remember for sure. There are probably a lot of sources available. Even guitar or music stores have them I think. Buy one, see if you like it. If you do, buy more.
I used these aviation connectors from Amazon

They worked well for me for Temp probes and an EHEIM Feeder.
1610475976731.png

Malaclypse13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone, I wanted to drop a quick thank you for all the work that folks have put into this project and for Ranjib for making it happen, this platform is fantastic and I'm super happy to be using it!

On thing I've had a lot of trouble with: I have a multistep Macro that I use for auto-water changes, it works great when I run it manually. However It never runs at all when I try to call it from a timer. I'm using 4.0, I'll likely update to 4.1 in the near future now that I know it's available.

Is there a log somewhere that I can take a look at to see why this timer isn't apparently doing anything? I don't mind spending some time to troubleshoot, but I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell me the what the heck is happening.

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone, I wanted to drop a quick thank you for all the work that folks have put into this project and for Ranjib for making it happen, this platform is fantastic and I'm super happy to be using it!

On thing I've had a lot of trouble with: I have a multistep Macro that I use for auto-water changes, it works great when I run it manually. However It never runs at all when I try to call it from a timer. I'm using 4.0, I'll likely update to 4.1 in the near future now that I know it's available.

Is there a log somewhere that I can take a look at to see why this timer isn't apparently doing anything? I don't mind spending some time to troubleshoot, but I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell me the what the heck is happening.
Yes this has been discussed several times, there is a temporary fix some pages back.

Basically, when triggering a macro with a timer, the target macro steps need to be written in reverse order of which you want things to happen and the "reversible" box needs to be checked in the macro tab.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated from V 3.31 to V 4.1. I lost my PH probe in the update. I was able to fix it by creating a new analog input on the connectors tab and then selecting the newly created input on the PH tab.

I'm running okay again, but wanted to give a heads up to others.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im struggling to get my new ph probe to calibrate properly and its very annoying.

I have a Atlas Scientific Mini probe which is the same as their larger one in terms of accuracy just smaller.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KJQ3S1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have premade solutions @ 6.86 and 9.18. I rinse, shake off, stick in 6.86 and leave for a few mins, then enter 6.86 into the calibration box and press run. I then rinse and shake off, stick in the 9.18 solution wait a minute then enter 9.18 into the second box and press run. Then i press Okay. I take the probe and put it in the 6.86 solution and get around 6.96, then s tick it in the 9.18 solution and get around 9.22, seems reasonable. Then i rinse it and put it back in my tank and its reading 9.14, and continously climbing now up to 9.21. There's no way my tank is at 9.2pH or else i assume everything would be dying or at least not growing as well as it is.

With my old probe from some cheapish chinese Amazon PH/temp it was reading a constant 8.4-8.6 over the last week or so. Even this probe before calibrating was reading 8.5 for several days before i got around to calibrating it.

When i use my API test kit i also read somewhere in the 8.2-8.4 range, no where near 8.8+ which is a crazy dark purple.

I've noticed a ton of errors in the background about strConv when im calibrating but im not sure if they are related or what im doing wrong with my calibration. Please help! I bought this $50 probe to ensure i was getting accurate readings, and it seems worse than the $15 one.

Im using a Robotank board.

*edit* 30 minutes later its now 9.24....

*edit* I think i need new calibration solution or something, i put it back in the 6.86 solution and its reading 7.4 and falling and my tap water is reading 7.8 when i know its around 7 from their water reports(and previous testing when making beer). Can I use 6.86 and 9.18 calibration solutions or do i have to use 7 and 10?

Last edited:

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the raw readings in the calibration fluids? Make sure you are rinsing the probe in rodi before putting in a new fluid to prevent contamination of the calibration fluid.
what is the raw reading your tank?
What are the calibration settings recorded in the file calibration.json file?

I thought in ver 3.3 you had to use 4,7,or 10. It may have changed though. In any case I wouldn’t think the calibration would be that far off.

the output should be close to linear with ph. The only other thought I have is the probe hadn’t stabilized before you ran the calibration.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 835 pages on this thread. As a newbie looking to add this to my build, is there a beginners guide compressed somewhere? Any suggestions for buying a complete build?
Welcome to r2r. The first page of this thread and the official website has links to beginner friendly guide. This is a DIY project, this is involved process :). start a thread if you are doing a scratch build or you are new to these things. We can help out each others

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 835 pages on this thread. As a newbie looking to add this to my build, is there a beginners guide compressed somewhere? Any suggestions for buying a complete build?
Robo-tank is the only one close to a complete build, there are solutions that fits in the middle (circuit is done , you build the rest), like leviathan and michale lane goby hat. @theatrus is also working on something directly consumable.. but its not in market yet

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Mikeneedsahobby I'm in the same boat as @Galiant50 I have a Raspberry Pi sitting around doing nothing, and I thought why not give it a try. I'm in IT but my Linux is weak and barely know what a breadboard is. This looks like something I can get into though.
You can install reef-pi and start controlling kasa hs300 type power bars without any breadboard etc.. and take it from there

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can install reef-pi and start controlling kasa hs300 type power bars without any breadboard etc.. and take it from there
My first goal is PH and Temp. I looked at the Whitebox Labs stuff and it looks solid, but expensive. I'm building this to be cheaper than an Apex. :). Looking at different builds now to get some more ideas.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for what I would do differently, many of my decisions were based on wanting to get this running faster than I have been able due to shipping delays.

I would have used 1/8 trs instead of 1/4" for space reasons. I already had spare 1/4 from when I had a side job making custom audio cables years ago. I was not pleased with the quick availability china 1/8 female plugs. Ordering some quality plugs from a site that would have taken longer to ship would have been better.

Understanding that the EZO chips were only able to function in I2c and arrive in default uart would have made me order the toggler with my original purchase, instead of a week late.

I would have ordered a second housing from the start and used the first as a practice box. You can see that my 1/4 are almost touching, those should be spread out about 1-2 mm. The pi is should be another 2-3 mm to the left. The temp "breadboards" are only using 1 standoff. I drilled the hole for the second, but it was too close to the wall for my driver and went in slightly askew.

I should have soldered the female trs with color coded wires and gone smaller gauge. Had I know it would be a couple week project instead of a 2 day(initial plan), I would have waited for the wires I ordered for the harness.
Amazing ,. so many good lessons learned. I wish we could document these for scratch builder.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the kind words and sharing the specific issue with the macro. Is the macro reversible?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated from V 3.31 to V 4.1. I lost my PH probe in the update. I was able to fix it by creating a new analog input on the connectors tab and then selecting the newly created input on the PH tab.

I'm running okay again, but wanted to give a heads up to others.
This is not expected. I dont know what is happening, but i can tell you there's nothing in the code that would cause this , that i can think of. And thankyou so much for reporting this. We really appreciate it

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first goal is PH and Temp. I looked at the Whitebox Labs stuff and it looks solid, but expensive. I'm building this to be cheaper than an Apex. :). Looking at different builds now to get some more ideas.
thats exactly why we invested in ph probe first. The opensource ph board is the only thing i know that can give you an end to end ph monitoring solution at 100$

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back