reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No . Not right now . It will be nice feature to have this (save different layouts and be able to select them ). Let me think about it, no promise though .
this can be easily done through grafana .
Thanks for the quick response. Glad to know I’m not missing something obvious. No idea what grafana is! But would be great if you ever get round to it. Thanks.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. Glad to know I’m not missing something obvious. No idea what grafana is! But would be great if you ever get round to it. Thanks.
Grafana lets you create dashboards like this:

1671723786615.png

Which can be formatted for each platform you access. With some creativity you could put that in an iframe. With another iframe with toggle switches to call out macro's you create in reef-pi.

Below is a link to the guide on how to set it up:

eggi55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and a Merry Christmas
i have reef-pi 6.0 running and wanted to control a dosing pump with ato an output of pca9685, which i unfortunately can't select.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and a Merry Christmas
i have reef-pi 6.0 running and wanted to control a dosing pump with ato an output of pca9685, which i unfortunately can't select.
Set up that channel of the pca9685 as an equipment instead of a doser, then it will work. Only at 100% though.

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grafana lets you create dashboards like this:

1671723786615.png

Which can be formatted for each platform you access. With some creativity you could put that in an iframe. With another iframe with toggle switches to call out macro's you create in reef-pi.

Below is a link to the guide on how to set it up:
Thank u

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped my kessil a360 in the tank water yesterday, while it was running, during some chores. I thought it was a goner, but I still quickly disassembled it and dried . After re assembly , it worked again. I was surprised . I wonder how they did it. The light turned off soon it dropped in the water , without any spark or shocks. The internal pcbs are all coated for weather proofing.
anyhow, testament to how well made these lights are. It been running for 6 years now. Very happy with kessil

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, 2 quick questions: is any guide for the esp32 already out? & with the new update is it possible to "reset" the graph data? I had a few negative peaks at the same time both in temperature and ph for some reason (maybe some current leak from the wc pump?) and now my graphs y limits are all messed up

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, 2 quick questions: is any guide for the esp32 already out? & with the new update is it possible to "reset" the graph data? I had a few negative peaks at the same time both in temperature and ph for some reason (maybe some current leak from the wc pump?) and now my graphs y limits are all messed up
I’m currently making one.
A Preview of the install part can be seen here.

The hardware and settings side will be handled in a second part that I’ll get to in the next days.
If you want to start already, the basic settings in the ESP32 code and ReefPi driver should be fine. Some things to look out for:
- not all pins on the ESP32 can be used for PWM (called „jacks“)
- all ADC2 pins can’t be used for analog input, since we are using WiFi
- the ESP32 driver setting in ReefPi specifies the count (!) of pins allotted to each function, not the pin numbers
- analog inputs can’t currently measure voltages below 0.13V and above 3.1V
- temperature sensing with DS18B20 sensors are the „analog input“ with ID 0
- I think there is currently a bug with analog inputs, as you will only be able to read the second analog input as ID 1, because ID 0 is always used for DS18B20 temperature sensors

I’ll cover all of these details in the second part of the guide and @Ranjib will make a sticky thread for this guide here on this forum, just like he did with the Telemetry Server guide
Telemetry Server guide

elmo2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm just stepping over to reef pi from a Neptune Apex and can i just say a massive thank you to @Ranjib and @robsworld78!

I received my Robo tank at christmas so thank you Rob for that!

I have become stuck in my set up and although i am starting to read through the 947 pages of this thread, however i kinda need an answer before i'm finished with the 6months of reading.

I'm looking to set up some leak detection sensors under my tank (yes i am repurposing my rip off apex sensors.....) but have become stuck on how i just monitor the condition of an Input?? I only seem able to tie an input switch to the ato??? Again i'm sorry if a. I'm being stupid and b, this has been answered before..... but as i say i am completely stuck and and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm just stepping over to reef pi from a Neptune Apex and can i just say a massive thank you to @Ranjib and @robsworld78!

I have become stuck in my set up and although i am starting to read through the 947 pages of this thread, however i kinda need an answer before i'm finished with the 6months of reading.

I'm looking to set up some leak detection sensors under my tank (yes i am repurposing my rip off apex sensors.....) but have become stuck on how i just monitor the condition of an Input?? I only seem able to tie an input switch to the ato??? Again i'm sorry if a. I'm being stupid and b, this has been answered before..... but as i say i am completely stuck and and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Well, the Adafuit Guide for ATOs, which is of course a bit old, already mentions something that sounds similar:
ATO controller in reef-pi is built by connecting an inlet item with an equipment item. Though it is built for water level control (and salinity indirectly) it can be used to automate a host of things, since mechanical switches, float switches, etc. can also be used as inlets.
So the UI might look different, but I’m pretty sure that the ATO tab is the way to go and just a historical name for digital inputs, just as much as the pH Tab is the historical name for all analog inputs that are not DS18B20 temperature sensors.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dont use this thread as a guide,, its bit free form, we discuss all sorts of things here
as @Sral mentioned, you can use the ato module with a dummy equipment and use the alert on usage feature to get the leak sensor working

elmo2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks i had looked at the ato guide but as robo-tank has all outlet pins assigned to power bar plugs I was hoping there would be a different way, but not to worry I'll start with powerbar2 outlet 8 and work my way backwards.

One thing I have noticed it that my pH probe keeps toggling itself off?? Why would this be?

Last edited:

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks i had looked at the ato guide but as robo-tank has all outlet pins assigned to power bar plugs I was hoping there would be a different way, but not to worry I'll start with powerbar2 outlet 8 and work my way backwards.

One thing I have noticed it that my pH probe keeps toggling itself off?? Why would this be?
In case you have the Sensor extension, you can simply use one of the sensor ports with the right jumper setting.
If you do not, you could build something yourself that connects to the RJ45 Ethernet socket for the sensor extension.

Depending on which version of RoboTank you have, of course.

What exactly do you mean by "toggling itself off" ?
Does it intermittently show values of 0.0 or does the probe's entry in the pH tab switch to "disabled" ?
The first suggests an incorrect I2C setting as described here.

elmo2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a robo-tank v3 i believe and purchased the Sensor extension so will be using those ports. I was just confused with how to monitor just the sensor without adding it to an outlet / equipment.

The probes entry in the pH tab switches to off, see attached screenshot
Screenshot1.png

The strange thing is that although the graph i have set u on the dashboard shows no data and under the pH tab it shows that the probe has toggled itself off, I still have a full set of data from the pH probe in my home assistant :face-with-raised-eyebrow:
Screenshot2.png

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I'm finally getting around to building this and I'm following the guides on adafruit.com. There's a few parts that are no longer available. One being the DB9 male adapters here:
Is this a good alternative?

Additionally the LM2596 Buck converter link is broken but this is the only one I can find that specifies 12v to 5v:

Krheigh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding analog sensors with ADS1115

Michael Lane has been working on a new ADS1015/ADS1115 driver for reef-pi.

This brings new possibilities to Reef-Pi:
  • PH/Orp probes
  • Pressure sensors
  • Flow sensors
  • Etc.
Any analog sensor can be used as long as the analog signal is in between 2.0V to 5.5V.

ADS1115 16-Bit ADC - 4 Channel with Programmable Gain Amplifier

ADS1115.png

ADS1115 Features:
  • Resolution: 16 Bits
  • Programmable Sample Rate: 8 to 860 Samples/Second
  • Power Supply/Logic Levels: 2.0V to 5.5V
  • Low Current Consumption: Continuous Mode: Only 150µA Single-Shot Mode: Auto Shut-Down
  • Internal Low-Drift Voltage Reference
  • Internal Oscillator
  • Internal PGA: up to x16
  • I2C Interface: 4-Pin-Selectable Addresses
  • Four Single-Ended or 2 Differential Inputs
  • Programmable Comparator
I had an ADS1115 board so I tried if my PH probe is working. So I made a “How to guide” maybe it will be of use for others. I used a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with Reef-Pi version 3.5.

Add driver under Configuration/Drivers
1.png

Configure the Driver:
2.png

Name: PH
Type: ads1115
Address: standard is 72
Gain: 2/3, 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16

An Adafruit tutorial has this guidance.
# Choose a gain of 1 for reading voltages from 0 to 4.09V.
# Or pick a different gain to change the range of voltages that are read:
# - 2/3 = +/-6.144V (High Gain, Sensitive to noise)
# - 1 = +/-4.096V
# - 2 = +/-2.048V
# - 4 = +/-1.024V
# - 8 = +/-0.512V
# - 16 = +/-0.256V (Low Gain, Not Sensitive to Noise)
# See table 3 in the ADS1015/ADS1115 datasheet for more info on gain.

Reboot (Configuration/Admin)

Add analog input under Configuration/Connectors
3.png

Configure the connector
4.png

Name: PHpin0
Pins: 0 (depends what pin you use on the ADS1115 board)
Driver: PH
Reload (Configuration/Admin)

Add the probe under pH
5.png

Configure the PH probe
6.png

Name: PH
Analog input: PHpin0
Check frequency: 10
Ph status: Enabled
The other settings are not mandatory.

Calibration
The first readings will be high:
7.png

Therefore you need to calibrate!

To be able to calibrate you first have to disable the Ph status
  • Edit ph.
  • Disable probe.
  • Save
  • Calibrate
  • Rinse probe in rodi
  • Place in 7 calibration fluid
  • Wait for readings to stabilize
  • Set cal value to 7 (Midpoint)
  • Push Run
  • Rinse probe
  • Put in 10 calibration fluid
  • Set cal value to 10 (Second Point)
  • Run
  • Enable probe
  • Rinse probe and check both 7 and 10 and make sure it’s close.
Enjoy!
Can anyone explain why there's gain 1-4?
Should I have different gains in the boxes or should I have same gain in all?
My brobe says -61 pH even if I do calibration

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone every used one of these Tuya PH and Salinity probes? I bet it would be easy to use the Tuya API to get the data.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back