reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on parts - I have 8 LEDs that I'm going to mount to the top of my enclosure. Rather than have them soldered in, I'd like some sort of quick connect/disconnect capability, like a terminal block or something along those lines, that can be easily mated/demated if need be. Arrow has a bajillion things, obviously, but i'm not sure of the proper term for the part that i'm looking for...any insight?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disk space looks fine, it did lock up I believe at the OS level, Ranjib mentioned watchdog, and I agree need to enable something that if the OS hangs you are notified. Will think about this and see what the easiest yet reliable solution.

Hey all, new to the thread, not new to the Pi or Linux. Unfortunately very well versed in picking through syslog.. ;)
@pickupman66 , when did you get that last email message about the ATO pump (in the real world)? I always get suspicious when there's a big gap in timestamps, especially when they're followed by an NTP update message. Slewing time > 5 minutes usually has a supremely detrimental effect of all things running on *nix. I've seen big changes even corrupt filesystems (although is more common when stepping the system time backward).
This is one of the few times we could absolutely correlate the real-world time vs. what's in syslog.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new to the thread, not new to the Pi or Linux. Unfortunately very well versed in picking through syslog.. ;)
@pickupman66 , when did you get that last email message about the ATO pump (in the real world)? I always get suspicious when there's a big gap in timestamps, especially when they're followed by an NTP update message. Slewing time > 5 minutes usually has a supremely detrimental effect of all things running on *nix. I've seen big changes even corrupt filesystems (although is more common when stepping the system time backward).
This is one of the few times we could absolutely correlate the real-world time vs. what's in syslog.
The time slew was after the system restarted.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tom Bishop awesome diagnosis man :) , love it , very methodical , I would do the exact same step. We are lucky to have you with us. Really appreciate it.

Eh I'm just trying to help out, I can help with the system stuff, I need to come up to speed on more of the code workings but really would like to help where I can to free your time up to do great stuff. I still would like to help out with the code stuff but trying to help out where I can, @pickupman66 was running an older kernel which could be the major issue. I'm running the latest kernel and while our configurations could be different mine has been up for 28days so far and not a blip.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this forum and this project. I haven't been able to go through all of the history yet. Is there anyone who has done a water changing system on the reef-pi? Is there any plans to implement other sensors? for example ORP, salinity, or dissolved Oxygen. etc.

I had been implementing a hydroponics solution using a pi and I could see how I might be able to borrow from that hardware to do something similar with this reef-pi setup.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this forum and this project. I haven't been able to go through all of the history yet. Is there anyone who has done a water changing system on the reef-pi? Is there any plans to implement other sensors? for example ORP, salinity, or dissolved Oxygen. etc.

I had been implementing a hydroponics solution using a pi and I could see how I might be able to borrow from that hardware to do something similar with this reef-pi setup.

I’ll probably work on a setup to do an AWC, which is the next step in tank automation for me. I’m doing the logistics work, like adding the drain fitting in the garage :)

The pH board should be able to support ORP just fine. To be honest I have no clue what it is in my tank or really care to control it.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. I'm not sure how important those other sensors are anyway, but I was just curious if anyone has tried to implement them. I really need to have AWC for my next setup if I go through with it. I am just not good at keeping up with water changes and it just a got to have at this point. Maybe eventually I could even go as far as auto salt water mixing.. lol

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally want support for humidity sensor. The ph board can also be configured to work with orp sensor. I dont know what and how I'll use EC/Salinity or ORP sensors in particular hence never bothered with these. Which mean I am unlikely to do the legwork :). but if someone else wants to do this, I am more than welcome to shepherd/incorporate those features.
The timer and macro features are pretty powerful already. I know another thread here was attempting to do some auto feeding with reef-pi (dosing pump). In 3.0 we'll make these two features even more powerful. I am still worried about the learning curve involved in effectively using these. I am thinking of similar to 1.0 guides , 2.0 guides should cover some workflow automation, like water changes, auto feeding, photoshoots, titrations etc. Its lot of work though :-/ .. documentations

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with expanding documentation, its hard sifting thru a big thread sometimes to find answers. Everyone has their talents, and I thank all those that are good at coding and those that have designed and built the various hats and boards, they are a definite help to get a working reef pi to someone who builds for the first time.

The whole reef pi community is very helpful when someone has a problem, and I try to help when I can. My specialty is on the hardware end and troubleshooting, which is what I try to help others with.

It may help in the documentation end of things to expand the guides for some of the common equipment that is used instead of going strictly by the guides. For example, those that dont or cant source the ADJ power bar, and use an 8 channel relay. I would be willing to help in that respect. Since alot of work was put into designing hats for reef pi, perhaps a guide comparing the various hats and what features each one allows would help people decide how to proceed best for their individual reef/turtle/frog/planted aquarium.

Last edited:

Zekth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've not spent so much time on documentation unfortunately. @Ranjib has done a good job on the adafruit one but most of the answer are lost in many threads.
One of my goal for the future is to have a proper Development / use documentation for Reef pi.

KevinDodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this board as well and have not been able to read through all 400 pages.

You talk of a V3 of reef-pi. Is this already in progress? Is it a major redesign or just minor revisions? Is there information somewhere on what the V3 design will be like? I would love to help. I have half written multiple versions of a reef-pi controller myself only to lose interest. I would much rather contribute to an active community :)

Zekth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment v3 is more than an enhancement of the current project. You can see here some features:
https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/projects
Multilingual will be a feature i'll implement, i've made the Proof Of Concept but have to finish the implementation.
Also with @Michael Lane we've talked about some programming features we wanted to put in it.

The question to have an mobile app too is still a concern, i have some ideas to not be tied to cloud implementation. Have to discuss with the team.

If you have some ideas about features and so on, feel free to create an issue on the project: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I am not sure if you are tracking this or not. But when creating a second dashboard for the same dosing pump different rule it shows the first date it runs then adds to the time each additional day. So if you set it to run for 2 seconds once a day on the first day it shows 2 seconds, the next day the dashboard updates the previous day with 2 more seconds, and it continues to count up not changing the actual date.

46149588665_808ec6f676_o.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I am not sure if you are tracking this or not. But when creating a second dashboard for the same dosing pump different rule it shows the first date it runs then adds to the time each additional day. So if you set it to run for 2 seconds once a day on the first day it shows 2 seconds, the next day the dashboard updates the previous day with 2 more seconds, and it continues to count up not changing the actual date.

46149588665_808ec6f676_o.jpg
I’m aware of this. It shows hourly rollup instead of daily. This was intended, and clearly a bad choice. I am fixing this, in future versions reef-pi will show only daily rollup

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a actually referring to the second dosing pump rule that says feb 08 on the bottom. It ran at 7:05 on the 8th for the first time. Then ran again at 7:05 on the 9th, 10th, etc. like it’s supposed to. the date always stays the same but the time counts up. Tomorrow at 7:05 the pump will run, the date will stay the same (feb8th), but the roll up will change to 25.

I’m not sure why it does this because the dashboard on top is the same pump just a different timer and it reports the hourly

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back