reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can assure you that any touch screen lcd monitor for the reef pi would be small and expensive. If I were you I would either A. use your computer or B. buy a mouse keyboard and hdmi monitor/tv and connect to the pi so you can use everything right there.
Thank you i was thinking about the HDMI monitor just could not use the right words.Right now i do everything from my computer monitor,27" that is good.Have extra mouse and keyboard so i try as you suggested,mouse,keyboard,and HDMI monitor.Thank you again.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you i was thinking about the HDMI monitor just could not use the right words.Right now i do everything from my computer monitor,27" that is good.Have extra mouse and keyboard so i try as you suggested,mouse,keyboard,and HDMI monitor.Thank you again.
I defiantly think this will be the best solution for you as the pi has a great interface/desktop and this allows you to use everything as a regular computer but better because no need for remote connections to install reef pi.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been busy enjoying with family , taking a vacation in turkey . Great place , artifacts of ottoman and Byzantine civilization is everywhere in the city

5643AF5D-1257-40B9-82E2-2EDA4D33A8D3.jpeg
CA097851-74DA-4B19-965C-0F3F767A186D.jpeg

During the long plane ride I went through the code and did some hacking with Kasa smart outlet . After some field testing in my garage I think I have a working support for kasa110 single outlet smartplug with current monitoring and Kasa 300 , a 6 outlet powerstrip with current monitoring (independent outlet). We don’t have any notion of current monitoring in reef-pi yet, so for the time being the drivers for the smart plugs expose a standard outlet interface as well as analog input interface (that returns the current utilization) , which for the time being can be visualized as ph (since they are just tied to an analog input ) . Overall, at the end of all this I was able to build a simple temperature controller that has only a pi zero and an audio jack to plug in a temp sensor. This controller paired with a Kasa smart poweratrip or plug , can monitor as well as control heater and at the same time report back the current utilization. I also went ahead and get my hands dirty with a rather primitive 3d printed enclosure. It’s tiny

49DDAB5F-2559-428B-9F8F-FE4B987EA862.jpeg

Has only the bare minimal, pi zero is powered by stock micro usb connector. Thankfully, Kasa smar strip has 5v, 2.4a USB port, so one less power adapter.

0CCDC453-72CD-4480-8E51-4BB631AE16B3.jpeg

I have added two notches to easily mount the enclosure anywhere using couple of screws

B29351E6-6A8F-4E9D-B022-A29E2CFBCFD8.jpeg

Pi zero and audio jack fits neatly.
0A2B8103-4E19-419C-A19E-A025534240D9.jpeg

AA55C3D5-BB36-4C27-837B-8EAEBF38D625.jpeg

I’m putting it in action next week and I’ll update you all how things go. I’m worried about smart outlets being dependent on network, but we’ll see. I’m otherwise very happy with the powerstrip in particular, it’s sleek , has touch control for each outlet for manual override , has current monitoring for each outlets, we can offload the timers on the smart strip directly if we want and there’s 5v , 2.4a usb sockets. All of this at 60$ , that’s just super awesome. Field testing will reveal more though ... but I’m hopeful :) 14A1D23F-4554-4771-9EDC-D5C90A38FD70.jpeg

Hope you and your family are enjoying your trip in Turkey. I was there about 10 years ago for a month and thoroughly enjoyed it. I spent an entire day in the Blue Mosque.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all,anybody could help me out with this msg. Try to calibrate PH probe. Thank you
TimeEmitterTypeContent
18/07/2019, 07:33:00UIERROR{"error":"json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []hal.Measurement"} | HTTP 400
18/07/2019, 07:32:08UIERROR{"error":"json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []hal.Measurement"} | HTTP 400

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New msg again look like i forget everything since 2 years ago i installed 2.0 alpha,everything was working without a hitch.
Now i bought ML board and all the parts again to build a complete new controller.Try 10 times each time new error,could not fallow Adafruit because i try to set up 3.0.0 alpha 2 and the adafruit is 2.4
What is this msg.
  • Settings
  • Connectors
  • Telemetry
  • Authentication
  • Drivers
  • Errors
  • Admin
  • About
Jul 18 08:02:42
ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pH BoardError:Item '' does not exist in bucket 'analog_inputs'

Jul 18 08:06:08
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor reef65. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-04177049bcff/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Clear

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New msg again look like i forget everything since 2 years ago i installed 2.0 alpha,everything was working without a hitch.
Now i bought ML board and all the parts again to build a complete new controller.Try 10 times each time new error,could not fallow Adafruit because i try to set up 3.0.0 alpha 2 and the adafruit is 2.4
What is this msg.
  • Settings
  • Connectors
  • Telemetry
  • Authentication
  • Drivers
  • Errors
  • Admin
  • About
Jul 18 08:02:42
ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pH BoardError:Item '' does not exist in bucket 'analog_inputs'

Jul 18 08:06:08
temperature sub-system. Failed to read sensor reef65. Error:eek:pen /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-04177049bcff/w1_slave: no such file or directory

Clear
Did you reset your database before upgrading? There are two separate error. The first error indicate you have ph probe that has not been configured with driver, connectors. The second error indicate your temperature sensor is not detected.
For the first error, delete and recreate it. Which version you are running now ? Use 2.4 if you are unsure or don’t want to use command line for certain configuration.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you reset your database before upgrading? There are two separate error. The first error indicate you have ph probe that has not been configured with driver, connectors. The second error indicate your temperature sensor is not detected.
For the first error, delete and recreate it. Which version you are running now ? Use 2.4 if you are unsure or don’t want to use command line for certain configuration.
Thank you Ranjib for your replay,i fix the temp sensor that was easy,but PH could not fix.Look like it is working shows the PH and when i try to calibrate i got error msg.

Screenshot from 2019-07-18 11-56-05.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that msg. mean ?

Screenshot from 2019-07-18 12-34-36.png
I’m having a hard time seeing these images, the resolution doesn’t not reveal the text.
You have to disable the probe before running calibration. I’m assuming you are running ezo probe ?

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im reluctant on relying on 3rd party/external system for the data part. Also im curious if adding arbitrary lat/long makes sense, since most corals that we keep are tropical. I do want to have some gps aware things, and I think biotopes might be a good candidate to run such experiments, but even in those cases the data should not vary a lot and probably we'll always have a robust locally configurable/dynamic profile with no external dependencies. Im still looking for graphs that I can use for building this profile. The website you shared provide moon's relative location compared to earth (astronomical data), not observed moonlight intensity/spectrum. I need the later,

I use Tides4Fishing for Lunar data. It includes rise, set, phase, and intensity, among other things. Unfortunately, they don't make their data easily available - I'm using a web scraper to hit their site a few times a day (shhh) - but maybe if you ask nicely? At least you might be able to use it to check your calculations. Here's an example of a detailed location profile.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a hard time seeing these images, the resolution doesn’t not reveal the text.
You have to disable the probe before running calibration. I’m assuming you are running ezo probe ?
Thank you Ranjib,i bought the ML board and the PH from ML tindi store,error json:can not unmarshall object into Go value of type hal.Measurament }HTTP400

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib this is the original error msg. :
18/07/2019, 19:11:51UIERROR{"error":"json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []hal.Measurement"} | HTTP 400

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib this is the original error msg. :
18/07/2019, 19:11:51UIERROR{"error":"json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []hal.Measurement"} | HTTP 400
Ok, so you are using the opensource ph board. This will not work on 2.4 and it requires 3.0 onwards. Support for this driver was done recently and its scheduled to be available for public release later this year. You can use the 3.0 testing builds to use the ph board but calibration is still not supported via the UI yet. @Michael Lane is working on this (calibration support via UI), but its not ready yet

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question... Can the reef-pi software handle the following situation:

1. Can it handle a leak sensor, and activate a solenoid valve if it detects a leak?

2. What other sensors can it handle?
I have not tried this but from what I understand you can treat it as a water level sensor since it give 0/1 input, and if the solenoid valve is controlled by a relay or outlet then its straight forward. Just use ATO ui to control a valve based on leak sensor input

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried this but from what I understand you can treat it as a water level sensor since it give 0/1 input, and if the solenoid valve is controlled by a relay or outlet then its straight forward. Just use ATO ui to control a valve based on leak sensor input
As of now, it supports ph (and orp, but not tested yet), water level (float sensor and photoelectric sensors), temperature sensors.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you are using the opensource ph board. This will not work on 2.4 and it requires 3.0 onwards. Support for this driver was done recently and its scheduled to be available for public release later this year. You can use the 3.0 testing builds to use the ph board but calibration is still not supported via the UI yet. @Michael Lane is working on this (calibration support via UI), but its not ready yet
Thank you Ranjib so this one least not my fault.Could not believe i am so dang can not install that.Am running reef-pi 3.0.0-pre-alpha-2-pi3.deb

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration code for reef-pi v3 was recently completed, so I hope it will be in the next alpha release. In the meantime, pH calibration must be completed using the command line.

Here's Ranjib's post describing the process.

If you are still having trouble getting the pH board connected, I can work on setting up a pH probe on a spare pi and share screenshots of the settings screens.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration code for reef-pi v3 was recently completed, so I hope it will be in the next alpha release. In the meantime, pH calibration must be completed using the command line.

Here's Ranjib's post describing the process.

If you are still having trouble getting the pH board connected, I can work on setting up a pH probe on a spare pi and share screenshots of the settings screens.
Thank you Michael installed the PH and working good,i try to read Ranjib post.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back