reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-/ . This is a bug then . Let me try to verify and report back. If it’s a bug we’ll get it fixed

Awesome! My experience it was a gnarly fail too, it keeps trying so it really pummels the whole thing. If you can't reproduce I will set it up again and send my log.

Quick sanity check, is the HS-100 smart plug appropriate for use with reef pi?

Thanks!

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to me and could not fix it. I eventually deleted the temp sensor and re-installed it from scratch.
I did this with one sensor... (its a terrarium and i got 3 inside one outside) it stil happens.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! My experience it was a gnarly fail too, it keeps trying so it really pummels the whole thing. If you can't reproduce I will set it up again and send my log.

Quick sanity check, is the HS-100 smart plug appropriate for use with reef pi?

Thanks!
yes

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling with Adafruit IO integration - I have had it working before, to graph my pH, but disabled it in reef-pi because of the false pH readings I was getting due to a sketchy power supply. I have that sorted and the pH readings are now pretty stable, but difficult to see in a meaningful way on the pH graph on reef-pi. (as mentioned in a few recent posts).

I do have email alerts configured and working and I can get a test email sent. All good there.

Now when I try and add the Adafruit key, and hit the "update" block at the bottom of the page, I get a message relating to the email credentials and AIO is not getting data. I have reloaded reef-pi after adding

Is this a sign that I need to go down the Grafana / Prometheus route?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling with Adafruit IO integration - I have had it working before, to graph my pH, but disabled it in reef-pi because of the false pH readings I was getting due to a sketchy power supply. I have that sorted and the pH readings are now pretty stable, but difficult to see in a meaningful way on the pH graph on reef-pi. (as mentioned in a few recent posts).

I do have email alerts configured and working and I can get a test email sent. All good there.

Now when I try and add the Adafruit key, and hit the "update" block at the bottom of the page, I get a message relating to the email credentials and AIO is not getting data. I have reloaded reef-pi after adding

Is this a sign that I need to go down the Grafana / Prometheus route?

I'm always amazed at this. I battled and tried all sorts of things for days, and had no success. But as soon as I write a message here, the feed starts working.

Sorry for the disruption!

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always amazed at this. I battled and tried all sorts of things for days, and had no success. But as soon as I write a message here, the feed starts working.

Sorry for the disruption!
I find just the act of writing out my question often results in the issue going away or me understanding what I was doing wrong.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Veeeeeeeeeeeery simple question: what if I need more ports/sensors ? Can reef-pi control multiple reef-pi via I2C or similiar ? Something like an extension...

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to use a relay to trigger my lights, i have the right relay. For some reason the pi will not trigger the relay ?
Post a picture of wiring and connectors/equipment.
Does the relay have an onboard LED for power/state? Double check wiring and connector tab and make sure you use the GPIO pin number

Hookster15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of wiring and connectors/equipment.
Does the relay have an onboard LED for power/state? Double check wiring and connector tab and make sure you use the GPIO pin number
it will energize the relay, i have not control through the software. its a single channel relay.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you making backups of your SD cards, what are you using to so it?

You can use something like clonezilla or depending on OS some DD equivalent to make a duplicate. Although I have opted for just installing the OS and reefpi and then restoring the database. Installing the OS/application and configuring is pretty quick and painless here are my notes for doing it, pretty rough but should be a good start, YMMV

I give up and will try to post later tonight for some reason its objecting that I have a line in there for editing the passwd file..

Specifically this line errors out - #disable pi user login (sudo vi /etc/p butt w d

if it is written without the spaces it will not save...LAME :)

Take2:

Code:
Rasbian information Headless setup:

Pre-work:

#Download latest raspbian version that you want to use and install to SD card - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

#wpa_supplicant.conf - file created in /boot

country=US
      ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
      update_config=1
        network={
        ssid="YourNetworkSSID"
        psk="Your Network's Passphrase"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        }

#Create empty file in /boot called "ssh" (enables SSH on first boot)

#SSH to pi
    username-pi
    password-raspberry
####Change password######

#adduser account (/home/"user")
#add new user to sudoers (cmd usermod -aG sudo username)
#add new user to same groups as "pi" user
    (cmd display groups - pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev gpio i2c spi)
    (cmd usermod -a -G pi,adm,dialout,cdrom,sudo,audio,video,plugdev,games,users,input,netdev,gpio,i2c,spi,username)
*disable pi user login (sudo vi  /etc/p asswd, change user pi to pi:x:1000:1000:,,,:/home/pi:/usr/sbin/nologin)
*change hostname (cmd hostname (new name), sudo vi /etc/h osts, sudo vi /etc/h ostname)
#set timezone (cmd raspi-config or sudo timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago or America/#insert city#)
#sudo systemctl start systemd-timesyncd
#sudo systemctl enable systemd-timesync
#Edit config.txt for pi pwm sudo vi /boot/config.txt (add dtoverlay=pwm-2chan)
#raspi-config updates, enable I2c and 1-wire
#Install reef-pi (cmd dpkg -i reef-pi-2.2-pi3.deb
                 (cmd sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service)
                 (cmd sudo mv /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.org)
                  (cmd sudo cp reef-pi.db /var/lib/reef-pi/.)
                 (cmd sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service)

*keep in mind for the lines marked with an asterisk that they would not save without the spaces, no idea what the issue is but remove spaces for those commands. Also substitute the editor of choice, I do everything from CLI and have always used VI.

If anyone has any questions let me know. :)

Last edited:

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Veeeeeeeeeeeery simple question: what if I need more ports/sensors ? Can reef-pi control multiple reef-pi via I2C or similiar ? Something like an extension...
reef-pi doesn't currently control other reef-pi instances. PCA9685 may help you with more ports since it can be used as a digital output. Moving all outputs to PCA9685 would free up the other GPIO to be dedicated to inputs. 1-wire and i2c can keep adding sensors until problems start appearing.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone give me an explanation for the ATO settings, Disable on Alert and then Alert after...I think I knew what they meant but it's not working as I expected. I wanted an Alert to be sent if the pump goes longer than a set time that I set.

Thanks

Coolhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Leviathan Board and was wondering, is there a way to hook the board up with the ADJ SRP8 8 channel relay pack? If not i need to know quick so i can return the relay pack. Thank you in advance.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone give me an explanation for the ATO settings, Disable on Alert and then Alert after...I think I knew what they meant but it's not working as I expected. I wanted an Alert to be sent if the pump goes longer than a set time that I set.

Thanks

That's how it's supposed to work, but there is a bug in the ATO alerts that @Ranjib and the guys are sorting out.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried and haven't gotten a response, must be a busy guy lol.

I'm assuming this is Rob? I responded on Tindie a couple days ago, but it may not have sent you a notification.

Your Facebook message got caught in my "message request filter", but I just replied on there as well a few minutes ago :)

For anyone else with the same question, I'll paste my reply here as well:

This is a great guide showing exactly what you’d need to do: https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-power-controller/hardware-setup

The Leviathan board has 12 GPIO outputs along the right side of the board. They’re split into a group of 4 & a group of 8. You’d just take the section of 8 outputs, connect them to the inputs of the ULN2803 Darlington transistor & follow the rest of that linked guide.

In simpler terms, just treat the relay outputs 1-12 on Leviathan as you would treat GPIO outputs on a PI for Ranjib's Adafruit guide.

There are a lot of different configurations & ways to use the Leviathan board that I don't really cover in the instructions. It even has a couple of outputs on the board I don't cover. My goal was to make the instructions as simple as possible for 99% of cases, rather than covering every possible scenario.

~`~

On a non-Leviathan note, you're right about me being busy too, lol. I'm still trying to respond to everything ASAP, but I'm in the middle of packing for a move right now.

I'm excited to set my new tank up, upgrading to a 75! It'll be on the other side of the laundry room wall & I'm planning on plumbing through that wall to hide all the equipment for water changes, top-off, sump, etc. ;Joyful

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back