reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 3.3.1, it may be just my understanding of how its supposed to work, my top off is pretty consistent, say 25sec every time it tops off. What I wanted and what I thought those options would do for me is to send an alert when usage was above my normal usage and if you wanted to disable it when it alerted you could enable that also. Since mine is pretty consistent I wanted it to disable and alert if it went say, 40 sec as opposed to the normal 25sec.

Hope that makes sense, right now I have it set but it ran longer and did not send an alert or disable the ATO function. Its not as critical since I use a fallback float but would be nice to at least get an alert if it runs longer than I think it should...

:)
Something to note is that, the Alert threshold is checked against how long the ato pump is run (should be always in multiples of check interval) and not after how long the pump is run. It is intended to avoid overrun, and not under-run. You can see my settings here:
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 12.19.16 AM.png

Does that answer your question?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 3.3.1, it may be just my understanding of how its supposed to work, my top off is pretty consistent, say 25sec every time it tops off. What I wanted and what I thought those options would do for me is to send an alert when usage was above my normal usage and if you wanted to disable it when it alerted you could enable that also. Since mine is pretty consistent I wanted it to disable and alert if it went say, 40 sec as opposed to the normal 25sec.

Hope that makes sense, right now I have it set but it ran longer and did not send an alert or disable the ATO function. Its not as critical since I use a fallback float but would be nice to at least get an alert if it runs longer than I think it should...

Just re-reading your post in @Ranjib reply I realised something - You are referring to the time your ATO comes on EVERY TIME IT TRIGGERS - Reef-pi only works on total pump usage per hour. So if your ATO comes on for 25 seconds when it does run, but triggers, say, on average 4 times an hour, you need to set your alert at a number larger than 100 seconds.

If I'm reading your issue correctly. I've been wrong before.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to note is that, the Alert threshold is checked against how long the ato pump is run (should be always in multiples of check interval) and not after how long the pump is run. It is intended to avoid overrun, and not under-run. You can see my settings here:

I'm so glad to see other people's ATO usages have the gaps and spikes like mine :) I get the occasional spike where I forget to top up reservoir and the gap typically where I add add stuff, - livestock, food, do maintenance

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad to see other people's ATO usages have the gaps and spikes like mine :) I get the occasional spike where I forget to top up reservoir and the gap typically where I add add stuff, - livestock, food, do maintenance

Mine directly corresponds with whenever I do my water changes. Apparently, my 5 gallon containers aren't quite 5 gallons, lol.

1596379612549.png

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting out with part 1. Curious before I go down the rabbit hole, did anyone port this to an app or is this strictly a webview (browser) experience?

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 10 sec interval and set my alert to 32 think it it would catch it when it starts a 4th interval. I want to allow 3 pumps, not 4.

does It do the last interval (so 40 seconds) before alerting and shutting off When I set at 32? Should I set it for 40?

if I set it for 30 will it trigger at the end of the third (not desired) or when it attempts to start the 4th?

Corner case: does it reset the count if a fill spans an hour?

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just re-reading your post in @Ranjib reply I realised something - You are referring to the time your ATO comes on EVERY TIME IT TRIGGERS - Reef-pi only works on total pump usage per hour. So if your ATO comes on for 25 seconds when it does run, but triggers, say, on average 4 times an hour, you need to set your alert at a number larger than 100 seconds.

If I'm reading your issue correctly. I've been wrong before.

I have a better understanding now, mine appears to run once every 4 hours or so, is there an easy way to see average run intervals, trying to do that via the graph is not the best. I assume you can do it from the cli going through the journal. So if your only running once per hour and it runs say 20 secs, you should be able to set your 40secs? My goal like @Ranjib stated would be to avoid an overrun, even though I have 2 floats another safety would be nice.

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So I seem to think I have an issue with my reef pi. The clock at the bottom of the dashboard never says the correct time?

I have included some pictures as my temperature controller that I have configured to run with my tank temp probe is getting turned off even though I have set the temp to 26c with a 2c hysterisis. The tank temp is 26.5 and its turning it off?

Also have these errors but I think that's due to not having a graph uploaded on the dashboard after a restart.

Another issue is that my temp probes periodically go down to like -1300C for a split second?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully this is where I can get the answers.

Screenshot_20200801_065343_com.teamviewer.teamviewer.market.mobile.jpg Screenshot_20200801_065225_com.teamviewer.teamviewer.market.mobile.jpg Screenshot_20200801_065147_com.teamviewer.teamviewer.market.mobile.jpg
Only web view :-/

Sorry ranjib but I didn't want my question getting missed out as I'm a little stuck at the moment. What's your thoughts on the above? Thanks

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up with those who have a Pi4 running, don't do any OS updates or your connectors will be broken or at least you'll get an error when you try to load them. I attached the error you would see.

Literally for the last 3 days I've been going back and forth with someone while two other wait trying to figure this out, it's been a nightmare. After eliminating everything it came down to a Pi4 OS update, this is not an issue with Pi3. You can do a fresh OS install on a Pi4 just don't update it. It breaks v3.2 to v3.4 and I assume anything before. When I discover an OS update can be done again I will post about it.

connector error.jpg

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up with those who have a Pi4 running, don't do any OS updates or your connectors will be broken or at least you'll get an error when you try to load them. I attached the error you would see.

Literally for the last 3 days I've been going back and forth with someone while two other wait trying to figure this out, it's been a nightmare. After eliminating everything it came down to a Pi4 OS update, this is not an issue with Pi3. You can do a fresh OS install on a Pi4 just don't update it. It breaks v3.2 to v3.4 and I assume anything before. When I discover an OS update can be done again I will post about it.

connector error.jpg
I don't have a pi4, so I won't be able to recreate this; these UI errors are very difficult to track back. Is there anything in the log that might indicate a problem when you load that tab?
sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service

Also, can you tell if there are any issues/errors in dev tools when you navigate to that tab (other than the obvious one)? You should see the following network traffic.

1596462575687.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a pi4, so I won't be able to recreate this; these UI errors are very difficult to track back. Is there anything in the log that might indicate a problem when you load that tab?
sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service

Also, can you tell if there are any issues/errors in dev tools when you navigate to that tab (other than the obvious one)? You should see the following network traffic.

1596462575687.png

I ran that line with it working, the 4 lines in your image shows up there and dev tools. When the connector page shows error unfortunately nothing shows in either. If there's anywhere else an error might go I can dig it up.

When I go to the console in dev tools it shows the file that is causing the problem but looking at the GitHub I think this might be generated or from something else as I can't find it.

log.jpg
console.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran that line with it working, the 4 lines in your image shows up there and dev tools. When the connector page shows error unfortunately nothing shows in either. If there's anywhere else an error might go I can dig it up.

When I go to the console in dev tools it shows the file that is causing the problem but looking at the GitHub I think this might be generated or from something else as I can't find it.

log.jpg
console.jpg
Do you have any error logged under the config -> error section? this can be due to driver loading failure. Its visible in logs only during reef-pi startup, so if you journalctl -fu reef-pi.service in one terminal, and systemctl restart reef-pi.service in another terminal, you should be able to see any driver loading error.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back