reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry ranjib but I didn't want my question getting missed out as I'm a little stuck at the moment. What's your thoughts on the above? Thanks
No worries. Did you setup your timezone etc. as mentioned in the very first adafruit guide ? same as what @5ft24 mentioned.
The temperature issue could be related to circuit issue, or bad sensor or something else interfering with the sensor (inductive load, like metal halides etc)_

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GUI for individual platforms (windows, linux, mac) are lot more work. We may end up writing mobile apps in future, but no plans on desktop app.
I’m debating tackling it this month with either native iOS or react native using MQTT messaging. Writing it in SwiftUI sounds like a lot of fun, plus that can be used for iOS , iPadOS and macOS.
If you guys need some official help let me know if not I’ll just side project it on a Saturday or Sunday. Ordered my pi4 and prob start with a ph probe and temp.

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just did an apt-get update+upgrade, I seem to have lost all connectors and get the error messages here:
I've checked the config and spi is still enabled which was my first though. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this still the way to see the Prometheus feed? Its not displaying anything for me, just a blank page:

IP/x/metrics
reef-pi serves all prometheus data under /x/metrics endpoint. Just add that in your web browser (after reef-pi IP) and you should see all the data in plain text file.
Inside prometheus (or grafana), you'll have job tag with specific name you have configured prometheus (to scrape metrics from reef-pi), that can be used to see the metrics available.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any error logged under the config -> error section? this can be due to driver loading failure. Its visible in logs only during reef-pi startup, so if you journalctl -fu reef-pi.service in one terminal, and systemctl restart reef-pi.service in another terminal, you should be able to see any driver loading error.

Nothing shows up there and no driver loading errors. I'm testing with a fresh (empty) install of reef-pi so no drivers are installed or connectors.

My concern is if this latest OS updated makes it into the main Raspberry Pi OS image file the Pi4 will no longer work with reef-pi. Once this OS update is installed and the Pi is rebooted you can't access connectors. I think this is the issue @Smin and others have stumbled on.

Hi all,
I just did an apt-get update+upgrade, I seem to have lost all connectors and get the error messages here:
I've checked the config and spi is still enabled which was my first though. Any ideas?

Any chance you have a Pi 4?

If so reinstall Raspberry Pi OS (previously Raspbian) but don run the update and you'll be good.

Bufu11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few builds with amazon links, anyone done a build in Canada with amazon Canada links ? Seems some
Of the parts used are not available. Would love to tackle this project, but my electrical skills are not up to par in finding similar parts with a confidence that they will work

Last edited:

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing shows up there and no driver loading errors. I'm testing with a fresh (empty) install of reef-pi so no drivers are installed or connectors.

My concern is if this latest OS updated makes it into the main Raspberry Pi OS image file the Pi4 will no longer work with reef-pi. Once this OS update is installed and the Pi is rebooted you can't access connectors. I think this is the issue @Smin and others have stumbled on.

Any chance you have a Pi 4?

If so reinstall Raspberry Pi OS (previously Raspbian) but don run the update and you'll be good.
Thanks @robsworld78 I'll get on! happy to test bit and see if we can come up with a solution as well...

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my reef-pi for access externally while I am camping next week. I have it all set up using port forwarding but I would like to configure it for https. So, forward to 443 instead of 80. I am using an arbitrary port as my trigger.

It is not clear what I should be entering in Settings->Address to make this happen and I don't want to experiment with the field and lose access now that I have everything working!

So, assuming I have a pi running reef-pi at 192.168.0.xxx, would I select https and enter 192.168.0.xxx:443 in the field?

Cristian2281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time using reef-pi v3.4 , I'm getting this error on GPIO pin 7 (Socket 8 - refugium light in the picture) and GPIO pin 8 (Socket 7 -Ato ). The rest of the sockets, everything else is running as expected .How can I fix this?
error.jpg

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time using reef-pi v3.4 , I'm getting this error on GPIO pin 7 (Socket 8 - refugium light in the picture) and GPIO pin 8 (Socket 7 -Ato ). The rest of the sockets, everything else is running as expected .How can I fix this?
error.jpg
This seems to be at a lower level than reef-pi. It looks like those GPIO were not exported. What else do you have running on this rpi? I'm just guessing, but something else might have claimed those gpio.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few builds with amazon links, anyone done a build in Canada with amazon Canada links ? Seems some
Of the parts used are not available. Would love to tackle this project, but my electrical skills are not up to par in finding similar parts with a confidence that they will work
You might get better results by specifying which parts need alternative recommendations.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
error.jpg
It could also be SPI0 is enabled. Make sure SPI is not enabled in raspi-config.

Cristian2281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be at a lower level than reef-pi. It looks like those GPIO were not exported. What else do you have running on this rpi? I'm just guessing, but something else might have claimed those gpio.
Thanks for answering, I have nothing else running. Just installed the OS, added ssh access and installed reef-pi. I have disabled spi but now I have the gpio 14 (socket 1-pump) just switching the relay on/off continuously. Luckily I have it wired as NC so I was able to turn the pi off and have the pump running.

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering, I have nothing else running. Just installed the OS, added ssh access and installed reef-pi. I have disabled spi but now I have the gpio 14 (socket 1-pump) just switching the relay on/off continuously. Luckily I have it wired as NC so I was able to turn the pi off and have the pump running.

I came across that, it seems the Pi is doing something with that pin causing it to go low and high, if you assign it as a piece of equipment it should stop as reef-pi will control it at that point. When the Pi starts that pin will always switch once until reef-pi actually gets running so if that's a problem use a different pin.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back