reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add each time with a comma.
doser.png

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, a little while ago I gave a sneak peak of a touchscreen client that I have developed for reef-pi. I had intended to release the code sooner, but we welcomed our first child over the summer and life became rather busy. I have now uploaded the code to a GitHub repository: https://github.com/natbird/kivy-reef

I have created a separate thread for release announcements and discussion so as not to clog up the main reef-pi thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/k...i-announcements-and-discussion-thread.865824/

I have plans to add some more features to the current code and in the longer term it should be possible to port the code to Android/iOS as an app since Kivy is cross-platform.

Here is a screenshot of the home screen of the current version:
1634246661021.png

Attachments

• 1634246670258.png
    1634246670258.png
    82 KB · Views: 50
  • 1634246680458.png
    1634246680458.png
    84 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, a little while ago I gave a sneak peak of a touchscreen client that I have developed for reef-pi. I had intended to release the code sooner, but we welcomed our first child over the summer and life became rather busy. I have now uploaded the code to a GitHub repository: https://github.com/natbird/kivy-reef

I have created a separate thread for release announcements and discussion so as not to clog up the main reef-pi thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/k...i-announcements-and-discussion-thread.865824/

I have plans to add some more features to the current code and in the longer term it should be possible to port the code to Android/iOS as an app since Kivy is cross-platform.

Here is a screenshot of the home screen of the current version:
1634246661021.png
Whoa that’s super nice :) . Thank you for sharing. I’ll check it out. I was thinking of mobile app, but was leaning towards react native. Kivy looks very promising.
thank you again , really appreciate it .

Congrats on the first kid :-0) . family first, kid and mom needs your time more than ever now . We’ll be right here

Cristiano Souza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Ranjib and @zee_zout for the help!
I managed to install the development environment in the virtual box, running Ubuntu!
I'm using it for testing and configuration!
Now I have a question for setting the timers, I understand how cron works, I can already schedule to turn a device on or off on a specific day and time, but I can't make the same device turn on for a few hours, or minutes, and turn off again, only once a day, like the lamp, turn on at 13:00 and off at 23:00, every day!
Or the booster pump, stop for 30 minutes, from 19:00 to 19:30 for example, and continue operating normally!
Can't do this with only one timer setting?
Do I have to use two timers?
One to turn on and one to turn off?

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How many doser and temp probes is possibile to connect simultaneously?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How many doser and temp probes is possibile to connect simultaneously?
Hi, the Pi has 23 pins you can work with, if you want to run lots of ds18b20's it's best to use separate pins for the sensors but you can run multiple ds18b20's on a single pin. You can also connect a pca9685 module easily and add 16 more outputs for dosing pumps, won't work with ds18b20. I think that should probably be more than enough, if not add another pca9685. :) Here's a guide to DIY the dosing pumps.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! anyone has tryed to use a current sensor mybe with ADS1015 ADC?
It should work with the right current sensor but you would need to add supporting code for it, reef-pi would only show the analog value. You would need to have a side script run, do the math and send the watts to reef-pi via the file driver. Reef-pi will work with the Kasa HS103, HS110 and HS300, a couple of these put out watts.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No native support for current sensor. You can use it with file driver as rob mentioned. We have native support for ads1115, general purpose ADC.

Cristian2281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to use reef-pi on a pi zero to control 4 or more 12v dosing pumps? I’ve read about pca9685 but it only supports up to 6V.
Pi zero will only control the dosers in this build

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to use reef-pi on a pi zero to control 4 or more 12v dosing pumps? I’ve read about pca9685 but it only supports up to 6V.
You can use a L293d chips to convert the 5v output from pca9685 to 12v

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want to turn the pump on/off you can use the Pi pins as is with a mosfet like these.

The pca9685 only goes up to 5v but don't confuse that, it can't be used to power anything, it's only low powered signal. You would still need a module like above to handle the current of whatever you control.

Cristian2281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want to turn the pump on/off you can use the Pi pins as is with a mosfet like these.

I need pwm to control the speed of the motors. If I use a pca9685 board for pwm and a mosfet module will I be able to control the pumps from the reef-pi? I only need the pumps to run in one direction anyway.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need pwm to control the speed of the motors. If I use a pca9685 board for pwm and a mosfet module will I be able to control the pumps from the reef-pi? I only need the pumps to run in one direction anyway.
Yeah, based on PWM level the output voltage off the mosfet will be say between 6v-12v. Most DC motors on dosing pumps are ok with under voltage however motors that need a set voltage can sound sick when you slow it down.

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

Has anyone tried the new RPi Zero 2 yet with reef-pi?

Just wondering what would be the benefits of having RPi 3 cores into a zero form factor for the reef-pi overall usability.

Cheers.
Paulo

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not , but it should be a wonderful thing for reef-pi. Pi zero is my favorite model due to its low current draw and small form factor. It’s plenty for running the controller but not good enough to power a GUI. Which makes it a bad choice for beginner or folks who are not comfortable with command line. I think that’s gonna change with pi zero , and we should be able to run a full graphical desktop with reef-pi . We’ll see.

Leafwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib what an amazing project! I'm trying to control some Kessil A360Ws, I've read that they need 0-10v dc for control signals, is this true or can 0-10v PWM be used? Also My DAC and Op Amp put out 10.2v at max is this too much for the Kessils? Thanks!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib what an amazing project! I'm trying to control some Kessil A360Ws, I've read that they need 0-10v dc for control signals, is this true or can 0-10v PWM be used? Also My DAC and Op Amp put out 10.2v at max is this too much for the Kessils? Thanks!
thank you
yes 10v pwm works for us. 10.2v should not be a concern, i think. kessil blinks below 1.3V (13% dimming) for me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back