Reef Pi Build

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Ok so I got some issues figured out with my second rpi. I went to set up the dosing pumps and couldn't log in remotely through VNC so I hooked it up to the tv for a monitor and found that the resolution had change to the point that it rendered doing anything on the rpi useless. I ended up having to reload the operating system and reef-pi just to get it working again. A happy side effect of that was there was no longer an issue with my router not letting me remote into reef pi from my desktop.

So I trying to get the dosing pumps working and needed some clarification from you. Is this the way I need to set them up in the connectors tab and dosing tab?

dosing pump configuration.PNG

dosing pump configuration 2.PNG
Yes :) . That’s it. Test out the output of l293d with multimeter once you complete your circuit. The rpi pwm output should vary from 0-3.3 , which is input for l293d. L293d should generate 0-12v output. Does that make sense ?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does Ill et to checking them and see what I get.
Thanks!
The dosing controller guide is done but waiting on review before it gets published , probably sometime Monday or Tuesday. It’s pretty much exactly what I have mentioned here, in addition it has some details around creating virtual equipment/outlet to control the pump direction .

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing controller guide is done but waiting on review before it gets published , probably sometime Monday or Tuesday. It’s pretty much exactly what I have mentioned here, in addition it has some details around creating virtual equipment/outlet to control the pump direction .

Nice I was going to upgrade to 2.0RC3 today but I'll wait till the finished version is up.

I got my temp probe working. I hooked it up to the 5v rail and it seems to be working. Doing some testing now to make sure it controls the heater outlet.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first of many questions. Since I have my sd card with noobs , do I have to flash the card still? I still need to install raspbian and add the files like on the video? Also just 1 more for now, Do I need the raspberry pie to work on the sd card?

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first of many questions. Since I have my sd card with noobs , do I have to flash the card still? I still need to install raspbian and add the files like on the video? Also just 1 more for now, Do I need the raspberry pie to work on the sd card?
Noobs is an installer for the operating systems. The Raspberry pi will boot into noobs and then you can choose 1 or more operating systems to install, Raspbian is one of the choices. It's VERY easy to do. Once Raspbian is installed, you will need to continue with the reef-pi install procedures.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I was going to upgrade to 2.0RC3 today but I'll wait till the finished version is up.

I got my temp probe working. I hooked it up to the 5v rail and it seems to be working. Doing some testing now to make sure it controls the heater outlet.
Thats awesome. This is what I was talking about the ds18b20, sometime they dont work, but there is like 2 or 3 common things that requires checking and then they are up again. Internally there are few things like chord length, 3.3v power source, resistor value etc that impacts.. which changes as you build out your controller and add more stuff...

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib So I was messing around with the temp probe and finally got my rpi to recognize that there was a sensor attached. I was able to `get it to read room temperature at 68 degrees, held it my hand and it read 98 degrees and put it in cold water and it read 48 degrees. I was able to get an outlet assigned to turn the heater off when the temp hit 80 degrees and turn it back on when the temp hit 77 degrees.

Then I hooked everything back up to the tank, put the probe in the sump and the probe reading started climbing and didn't stop till it registered 262.2866 degrees. Now I know I'm not boiling water in my tank and temperature according to my thermometer is at 79 degrees.

I am still thinking that I got a bad probe and need to replace it or is there something else I'm missing?

On another sad note the rpi I was using for my dosing pumps had a catastrophic failure and is shot. I had it hooked up to a 5volt power source and was making sure all the settings in the preferences where correct and vnc was working properly so I could get it ready to be mounted in the main enclosure and it started getting very hot. Hot to the point of not being able to touch the board. Now I can't even get it to boot. This was after it started doing some strange stuff this morning. It randomly changed the resolution for the monitor to the point of being useless so I restored the system with the sd card, reinstalled reef-pi and it worked fine till it started the heating up. All this stuff happened when the proto hat with the dosing pump circuit was removed and after I moved the temp probe to my other rpi for final testing.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib So I was messing around with the temp probe and finally got my rpi to recognize that there was a sensor attached. I was able to `get it to read room temperature at 68 degrees, held it my hand and it read 98 degrees and put it in cold water and it read 48 degrees. I was able to get an outlet assigned to turn the heater off when the temp hit 80 degrees and turn it back on when the temp hit 77 degrees.

Then I hooked everything back up to the tank, put the probe in the sump and the probe reading started climbing and didn't stop till it registered 262.2866 degrees. Now I know I'm not boiling water in my tank and temperature according to my thermometer is at 79 degrees.

I am still thinking that I got a bad probe and need to replace it or is there something else I'm missing?

On another sad note the rpi I was using for my dosing pumps had a catastrophic failure and is shot. I had it hooked up to a 5volt power source and was making sure all the settings in the preferences where correct and vnc was working properly so I could get it ready to be mounted in the main enclosure and it started getting very hot. Hot to the point of not being able to touch the board. Now I can't even get it to boot. This was after it started doing some strange stuff this morning. It randomly changed the resolution for the monitor to the point of being useless so I restored the system with the sd card, reinstalled reef-pi and it worked fine till it started the heating up. All this stuff happened when the proto hat with the dosing pump circuit was removed and after I moved the temp probe to my other rpi for final testing.

But how do you know it isn't boiling?!? Lol... strange issue. Sure seems to me like a bad probe. Possibly water intrusion if it's reading the air temps relatively correct? Was it cold saltwater you put it in or fresh water? Could explain why it went haywire in the SW because of the better conductivity of SW?

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how do you know it isn't boiling?!? Lol... strange issue. Sure seems to me like a bad probe. Possibly water intrusion if it's reading the air temps relatively correct? Was it cold saltwater you put it in or fresh water? Could explain why it went haywire in the SW because of the better conductivity of SW?

I used freshwater for the test. The probe is covered in silicon and water getting in shouldn't be an issue but you never know. I've had problems with the probe from the start. I will be ordering a pack of 5 new probes today.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ScottBrew nailed it. One thing to mention in addition to what he said. When you're prepping your pi, install all the updates, enable the interfacing options you need and enable the hardware timers as described in the guide before you install reef pi.
https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-installation-and-configuration/raspberry-pi-configuration

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am puzzled at this point. I can connect my raspberry up to my tv, but without a keyboard I am stuck. I have tried hooking up to my laptop but I cannot seem to get a display. This pic is from my tv.
20181119_223228.jpeg

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am puzzled at this point. I can connect my raspberry up to my tv, but without a keyboard I am stuck. I have tried hooking up to my laptop but I cannot seem to get a display. This pic is from my tv.
20181119_223228.jpeg

You will need a mouse and a keyboard. The raspberry pi will work just like a desktop. Once you get it set up you can use a remote function like VNC to access it but initial set up requires a KB and mouse.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back