OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on that note, I do think that we should at least inform the reefpi.net folks, it will be bad if they find it by surprise

Agreed. If it does come down to being an issue I have another idea for a logo that is unique and also states the obvious use of a raspberry pi platform.
I will work on it some and see what you guys think.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the power, ATO and temperature modules built on the pi hat I currently have, adding the dosing pumps and ph probe to it could be problematic with the limited amount of power, gpio pins and space I have.
As of now the ph probe is up on the Adafruit site as a stand alone unit and Ranjib said the dosing pumps will also be posted as a stand alone unit.

Looking at the circuits for both it shouldn't be to hard to incorperate both modules into a single build and it just made sense to have the ph probe and dosing pumps together. That way I can mount everything inside my stand next to the sump and the pumps and processing power of the main pi won't have to work as hard.

With the planned clustering option in the next version of reef-pi I should be able to control everything from the main pi in any case. I plan on using a piO for this so that brings the cost down a bit.
I'm thinking I might do the same with a light controller.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Yes that makes perfect sense. I didn't know the ability to cluster was coming in the next build. That's fantastic news!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that makes perfect sense. I didn't know the ability to cluster was coming in the next build. That's fantastic news!

Indeed. Clustering opens up whole bunch of possibilities for running multiple tanks and being able to monitor them all from one reef-pi.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on that note, I do think that we should at least inform the reefpi.net folks, it will be bad if they find it by surprise
I agree, but I had had a look on their website and there is no contact info (that I can find). You can't register for an account anymore and I can't dm any of the dev team or other users without logging in. I tried searching the forum for an email for the dev team but I couldn't find any (searching requires you to verify what year it is, however you have to enter 2015 for the search function to work). If you can find any contact info and let me know I would be happy to get in touch with them.

Agreed. If it does come down to being an issue I have another idea for a logo that is unique and also states the obvious use of a raspberry pi platform.
I will work on it some and see what you guys think.
After a bit of a Google search about trademarks etc. I can't see it being much of an issue. If it can be established that the image is trademarked, then it may be an infringement even though no one is selling the logo or any products with the logo on them (as "personal use" isn't really a thing).

Enforcing unregistered trademarks appears to be possible but very difficult, especially for a project that never got off the ground and then has been dead for a number of years. Even more difficult when a Google search of their name doesn't bring up their website or logo on the first page (still not impossible though).

But if they did want to go down that route they could possibly claim an infringement against many things, even the name "reef-pi" as it is similar to "ReefPi". But like I said, it seems like it would be very difficult to prove and also quite unreasonable. - FYI none of that is legal advice, it is just what I found after a quick Google search, if anyone wants legal advice re trademark or copyright info please contact a lawyer and get formal advice :)

But you should design and post the one you are thinking of anyway, I'm keen to see what you come up with!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but I had had a look on their website and there is no contact info (that I can find). You can't register for an account anymore and I can't dm any of the dev team or other users without logging in. I tried searching the forum for an email for the dev team but I couldn't find any (searching requires you to verify what year it is, however you have to enter 2015 for the search function to work). If you can find any contact info and let me know I would be happy to get in touch with them.

After a bit of a Google search about trademarks etc. I can't see it being much of an issue. If it can be established that the image is trademarked, then it may be an infringement even though no one is selling the logo or any products with the logo on them (as "personal use" isn't really a thing).

Enforcing unregistered trademarks appears to be possible but very difficult, especially for a project that never got off the ground and then has been dead for a number of years. Even more difficult when a Google search of their name doesn't bring up their website or logo on the first page (still not impossible though).

But if they did want to go down that route they could possibly claim an infringement against many things, even the name "reef-pi" as it is similar to "ReefPi". But like I said, it seems like it would be very difficult to prove and also quite unreasonable. - FYI none of that is legal advice, it is just what I found after a quick Google search, if anyone wants legal advice re trademark or copyright info please contact a lawyer and get formal advice :)

But you should design and post the one you are thinking of anyway, I'm keen to see what you come up with!

I will see about getting that tonight after work.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the other logo I was thinking of.
Not for a 3d printer but it's unique.

reef pi 3d logo 3.png

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This site gives some good insight into open source software and logo usage. Unless their logo has been trademarked it shouldn't be an issue.

Trademark law comes in because you want the logo and name to be used to refer to your project, and your project only. This is something that copyright law cannot adequately handle, because e.g. a visually similar but independently designed logo would not be considered infringing.

https://opensource.stackexchange.co...eing-open-sourced-mean-others-can-use-my-logo

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless their logo has been trademarked it shouldn't be an issue.

Trademark law comes in because you want the logo and name to be used to refer to your project, and your project only.
Yeah thats not a bad source :) I'm not worried about copyright for the reasons they talk about.

Only possible issues is you don't actually need to "trademark" the logo or name etc. (aka register it with the patent office). As there is automatically a common law trademark (unregistered trademark). But like I said they appear to be very difficult to enforce and you don't have as much protection.

But anyway, it isn't an official reef-pi logo and likely won't ever be so it doesn't effect the project. As I put it together they would have to contact me to get me to remove the file (which I would be happy to do if they asked). Until then (or until I can get some contact details for them) I am happy for anyone to use the JPEG I uploaded on their project if they want to :)

p.s. I am going to eventually see if I can print out the Pi part with the coral photo like you did as a sticker and put it on top of the Pi symbol of the 3D printed ones I made!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not too worried about legal ramifications other than trying to be nice and ethically correct. If you have tried to find contact without any luck, thats more than enough. If we try our best and stay honest, angels can do no better. Heaven will not fall apart if for any reason we have to change name or logo. The code and the electronics platform, which matters most is based on sound opensource software/hardware system (Apache2, BSD 3 clause, Pi, Adafruit etc) , we are standing on the shoulder of opensource giants. I'm good :0-)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats not a bad source :) I'm not worried about copyright for the reasons they talk about.

Only possible issues is you don't actually need to "trademark" the logo or name etc. (aka register it with the patent office). As there is automatically a common law trademark (unregistered trademark). But like I said they appear to be very difficult to enforce and you don't have as much protection.

But anyway, it isn't an official reef-pi logo and likely won't ever be so it doesn't effect the project. As I put it together they would have to contact me to get me to remove the file (which I would be happy to do if they asked). Until then (or until I can get some contact details for them) I am happy for anyone to use the JPEG I uploaded on their project if they want to :)

p.s. I am going to eventually see if I can print out the Pi part with the coral photo like you did as a sticker and put it on top of the Pi symbol of the 3D printed ones I made!
Agree. This thread itself embodies the best of intent from our side.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the other logo I was thinking of.
Not for a 3d printer but it's unique.

reef pi 3d logo 3.png
I will be seeking some professional help from one of my good friend. She is an world renowned graphics designer, now working at Google. I was thinking its too early, and wait till reef-pi 5.0 is out :) and if we have larger community. Till then, let a thousand flower bloom.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@MaccaPopEye You might want to look at this stuff instead of using a sticker. I use it for headstock decals on my guitar builds.
The clear works great for light colored backgrounds and the white works on dark colors. It's the same thing used in building plastic models.
https://www.amazon.com/Blinggasm-Wa...6640&sr=8-14&keywords=inkjet+waterslide+paper

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little personal input into logos. I really think a logo should work in various forms, medias and formats. As a engraved outline, vector graphics, black and white, full color etc. To depend too much on pixel based graphics restricts the use a lot. 3d printers can't really print it, not cnc or laser cutters either. To me those tools should be taken into consideration when we're talking about something like Reef-Pi. There should at least be pure vector based versions of the logo within the family.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be seeking some professional help from one of my good friend. She is an world renowned graphics designer, now working at Google. I was thinking its too early, and wait till reef-pi 5.0 is out :) and if we have larger community. Till then, let a thousand flower bloom.

@Ranjib Nice can't wait to see it.
WOW reef-pi 5.0! That my friend is some serious long term love of a project!

On a side note I was looking at the Adafruit ph build and noticed that the resistors used in the build are not on the parts list.
Not a big deal since they are mentioned on the circuit construction page.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little personal input into logos. I really think a logo should work in various forms, medias and formats. As a engraved outline, vector graphics, black and white, full color etc. To depend too much on pixel based graphics restricts the use a lot. 3d printers can't really print it, not cnc or laser cutters either. To me those tools should be taken into consideration when we're talking about something like Reef-Pi. There should at least be pure vector based versions of the logo within the family.

Very true! Good things to consider.
I did think about that as I designed it, but I had a very specific medium in mind when I did it and was looking for something unique to my build.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaccaPopEye You might want to look at this stuff instead of using a sticker. I use it for headstock decals on my guitar builds.
The clear works great for light colored backgrounds and the white works on dark colors. It's the same thing used in building plastic models.
https://www.amazon.com/Blinggasm-Wa...6640&sr=8-14&keywords=inkjet+waterslide+paper
Legend mate :D I actually used to use those on war-game minis over 10 years ago. but didn't realise you could buy them in blank sheets for an ink printer, I'll definitely look into it!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more stuff!!
This is what I have so far for my dosing pump build I will be working on the circuits tonight and should have the raspberry pi and proto hat tomorrow.

L293 chip https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BADVVF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 Peristaltic pumps https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791YL351/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Buck converter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRN7NFQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Raspberry pi 3 https://www.arrow.com/en/products/raspberrypi3/raspberry-pi-foundation
16gb sd card with noobs https://www.arrow.com/en/products/noobs-16gb-retail/raspberry-pi-foundation
Perma proto pi hat https://www.arrow.com/en/products/2310/adafruit-industries

I'm going to wait for a bit on the ph probe and hardware for that to see what progress @Ranjib makes on supporting @Roberto_b ph probe board. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-ph-orp-adapter.478158/

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

naoki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not @Brew12 But i recently started using these .
https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-30-103...541729622&sr=8-6&keywords=push+wire+connector

They hold very well with the excepting of Stranded wire. I would not use them for that. Much quicker and neater .
Here is a Example of them in use.

I've used Ideal connector, but WAGO is a little nicer (link). It is easier to redo, and works well with both solid and stranded. Also, it can handle high V and current. I also used to solder 120V AC wires, but I learned that many people think that it is not a good practice. I'm not convinced by their argument, but I'm starting to use more physical connection now.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib Nice can't wait to see it.
WOW reef-pi 5.0! That my friend is some serious long term love of a project!

On a side note I was looking at the Adafruit ph build and noticed that the resistors used in the build are not on the parts list.
Not a big deal since they are mentioned on the circuit construction page.
Oops. Thanks for calling it out, I'll update the build

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back