Reef Pi Build

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you start now it will be ready to go into use when it does.. It will die they all do.. Boohooo

Yeah that's the fear. I love having the controller but can't fathom shelling out 700+ for Apex. This reef-pi seems to have enough of the features. I have to cruise through the software thread by @Ranjib to see what probes it supports currently.

If I can get a build for 300ish and have all the probes I want then I'll definitely go this route as the wiring and finishing aspects don't scare me lol

@Diamond1 thanks again for such a detailed thread

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned a lot about microelectronics from my own Reef-pi build . I have been a bit more cautious then most about hooking it up to run my tank. But then again i have been super busy since early last year . I have a BUILD That is in service running on my NOT Yet installed new sump.. Its going to be part of my system very soon..

EVERY NEW Build rather by someone experienced in electronics or not Helps progress the Reef-pi Software and hardware . Every slight modification and just posting hey can we do this .. helps..

Thank you .

Very true. That's exactly why I wanted to post my build. I have been interested in doing this since I first saw Ranjibs original post back in 2017, but thought it was a bit over my head. Never having done anything like this before it was very intimidating. After getting into it and having such a great support group to draw from I'm really glad I did this, if for no other reason than to prove that even a tech illiterate like me could do it.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the ATO pump and sensor installed and checked everything out and it seems to be working fine. When the sensor comes out of the water the pump runs and when iI slide it back into position the pump shuts off.

I will be working on a ATO container and either a stand or a little cabinet.

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diamond1 out of curiosity, why did you use that type of sensor instead of a simple float switch? I apologize if it's covered else where in the thread

I wanted to try these sensors because I've had mechanical sensors in the past and had them fail for different reasons salt creep critters etc..

So far I havent heard of these failing.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef pi has been up and running on the tank for a few days and I must say I'm really liking the results so far.
The ATO works flawlessly and the timers for the wave makers and sump lights are performing as they should.
I still have to tidy up the cords, water proof the enclosures and figure out the temp probe.
I have some new parts on the way and will be updating the progress after they get here and I get everything wired up and installed.

Another thing I will be doing is a mini tutorial on how to work with reef-pi software to assign outlets to relays, naming them, setting up the ATO sensor and pump outlet and basic timer programing. Once I get better with the programing I'll get into how to set up macros.

I also wanted to mention some differences between using a Pi0 and a Pi3. Hopefully this will help in deciding which one to use when planning a build.

1. Either one is capable of running an AIO head unit.
Pi3 allows you to use a GUI (graphical user interface). Having a desktop environment (Rasbian) to run reef-pi from is a lot easier for someone like me who is not comfortable using command prompt style programing.

2. Pi3 has much more processing power than a Pi0.
Pi3 has a 1.2 GHz Quad Core processor with 1GB of Ram. Pi0 has a Single Core 1GHz processor with 512 Mb of Ram.
The better processor and more Ram on the Pi3 make it possible to run the GUI without the issues of lagging or high cpu usage.

3. The Pi 3 has a full size HDMI cable output, 4 full size USB ports, Ethernet port and built in Bluetooth.

Like I said either will work but for a noob like me it was easier to use a Pi3.

For the most part my memory and CPU usage have been running as expected with memory usage around 30% and CPU usage below 10% unless I go in and mess with something the usage percentage stays pretty level.
Another pleasant surprise was yesterday after sever weather moved through the area and knocked out the power for a couple hours, reef-pi started back up and went right back to business as usual.

Screen shot of the dashboard.
Dashboard.PNG

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this build! @Diamond1 All the info is very helpful and useful. When it comes to putting my system together, I will also be using reef-pi with Pi3. However, by the time I start, 2.0 will be out and I will probably use it.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy that it’s working as per your expectations :). If you have frequent power outages I suggest keeping a backup sd card handy. That’s the part that goes bad when abrupt shutdown happens. Once you have configured everything , Keeping a copy of your reef-pi.db file in some place else (email for example ) is a good idea as well, since it can recreate your setup with minimal effort

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this build! @Diamond1 All the info is very helpful and useful. When it comes to putting my system together, I will also be using reef-pi with Pi3. However, by the time I start, 2.0 will be out and I will probably use it.

I'm running the 2.0 beta right now and it seems pretty stable so far. I will definintly be upgrading to the 2.0 official release when it comes out later this month.

I’m happy that it’s working as per your expectations :). If you have frequent power outages I suggest keeping a backup sd card handy. That’s the part that goes bad when abrupt shutdown happens. Once you have configured everything , Keeping a copy of your reef-pi.db file in some place else (email for example ) is a good idea as well, since it can recreate your setup with minimal effort

Thanks for the tip! That's good to know.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Unrelated to thread*

@Ranjib - just now is the first time I have been able to see your avatar on my computer. Until now I thought you had Brahma as your avatar. Lol
All I can say is;
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - JH

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Unrelated to thread*

@Ranjib - just now is the first time I have been able to see your avatar on my computer. Until now I thought you had Brahma as your avatar. Lol
All I can say is;
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - JH
Yess :)
And it combines my parents god ( Durga) with mine (JH).

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Man, The Myth, The Legend.....
Jimi, Noel and Mitch live in Sweden

I could listen to these tracks all day long :0) . They were so ahead of their time. Jimi kinda invented the heavy use of distortions & feedbacks.. and all manually.. i can't fathom the kinda musical mastery one needs to be at his level

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef pi has been up and running on the tank for a few days and I must say I'm really liking the results so far.
The ATO works flawlessly and the timers for the wave makers and sump lights are performing as they should.
I still have to tidy up the cords, water proof the enclosures and figure out the temp probe.
I have some new parts on the way and will be updating the progress after they get here and I get everything wired up and installed.

Another thing I will be doing is a mini tutorial on how to work with reef-pi software to assign outlets to relays, naming them, setting up the ATO sensor and pump outlet and basic timer programing. Once I get better with the programing I'll get into how to set up macros.

I also wanted to mention some differences between using a Pi0 and a Pi3. Hopefully this will help in deciding which one to use when planning a build.

1. Either one is capable of running an AIO head unit.
Pi3 allows you to use a GUI (graphical user interface). Having a desktop environment (Rasbian) to run reef-pi from is a lot easier for someone like me who is not comfortable using command prompt style programing.

2. Pi3 has much more processing power than a Pi0.
Pi3 has a 1.2 GHz Quad Core processor with 1GB of Ram. Pi0 has a Single Core 1GHz processor with 512 Mb of Ram.
The better processor and more Ram on the Pi3 make it possible to run the GUI without the issues of lagging or high cpu usage.

3. The Pi 3 has a full size HDMI cable output, 4 full size USB ports, Ethernet port and built in Bluetooth.

Like I said either will work but for a noob like me it was easier to use a Pi3.

For the most part my memory and CPU usage have been running as expected with memory usage around 30% and CPU usage below 10% unless I go in and mess with something the usage percentage stays pretty level.
Another pleasant surprise was yesterday after sever weather moved through the area and knocked out the power for a couple hours, reef-pi started back up and went right back to business as usual.

Screen shot of the dashboard.
Dashboard.PNG

Great info thanks @Diamond1

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This brings me to a Thought.. That we need to tell people they need a back up source rather its a pre made one you plug things into or One specifically for the pi . I wonder how hard it would be to create one with code . Say a backup battery that will give the pi even only 5 min of power but when switched to battery would start shut down process of the pi to keep sd from becoming corrupt. I know when we had the Computer store the OLD APC that we used could be setup to do just that . Start shutting down equipment for customers . Of course those were 10-30 k products..

Any Thoughts .. Sorry if this is far off topic for your Thread Diamond. the thought just hit me and i wanted to type it..Remember i am blonde..

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brings me to a Thought.. That we need to tell people they need a back up source rather its a pre made one you plug things into or One specifically for the pi . I wonder how hard it would be to create one with code . Say a backup battery that will give the pi even only 5 min of power but when switched to battery would start shut down process of the pi to keep sd from becoming corrupt. I know when we had the Computer store the OLD APC that we used could be setup to do just that . Start shutting down equipment for customers . Of course those were 10-30 k products..

Any Thoughts .. Sorry if this is far off topic for your Thread Diamond. the thought just hit me and i wanted to type it..Remember i am blonde..

This is a great idea. Even just adding the uninterruptible back up would be great.
Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/d/Computer-U...sr=8-7&keywords=battery+back+up+for+computers

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back