Reef Pi Build

ph123uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins (once the other parts turn up)

IMG_20190125_112411.jpg

ph123uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more stupid question, the pi hat will also power the Pi won't it once the 5v is connected as shown a few pages ago? As it doesn't look to go to the GPIO 5v pins to power the pi?

IMG_4635.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more stupid question, the pi hat will also power the Pi won't it once the 5v is connected as shown a few pages ago? As it doesn't look to go to the GPIO 5v pins to power the pi?

IMG_4635.JPG
Yes. You can wire the outputof the power converter straight to the 5v rail and it will power the pi.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have done - apologies.
No worries. It was not intended to hurt you, we appreciate your involvement, it just easier for us to see your build details coherently in one place and answer them. Do tag us as and when you need us.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diamond1 how have your new light curves been treating you? I had to lower intensity due to one of my SPS starting to bleach.
So far so good. My test SPS didn't make it, but I have some other issues in the tank I'm working out and don't think it was due to the lighting. My leather did it's quarterly sloughing of it's slime coat and I think there was some chemical warfare going on and the sps lost.
All my other corals are responding nicely to the light schedule except for some mushrooms right under the lights that aren't as big as they could be.

I took a lux meter and got an idea of how much par I'm getting at water level and it turned out to be around 600 to 630 par at the top of the tank with my lights at 8" from the surface.
That's at peak light time with the blues at 65% and the whites at 50%. My tank is 18 inches deep so I'm treating my lighting as a medium light tank.

I would suggest getting a lux meter or par meter and see what you are getting. A lux meter can be had off amazon for 15 to 20 bucks.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. My test SPS didn't make it, but I have some other issues in the tank I'm working out and don't think it was due to the lighting. My leather did it's quarterly sloughing of it's slime coat and I think there was some chemical warfare going on and the sps lost.
All my other corals are responding nicely to the light schedule except for some mushrooms right under the lights that aren't as big as they could be.

I took a lux meter and got an idea of how much par I'm getting at water level and it turned out to be around 600 to 630 par at the top of the tank with my lights at 8" from the surface.
That's at peak light time with the blues at 65% and the whites at 50%. My tank is 18 inches deep so I'm treating my lighting as a medium light tank.

I would suggest getting a lux meter or par meter and see what you are getting. A lux meter can be had off amazon for 15 to 20 bucks.

When I had Kenya tree leathers I had big problems with some Acroporas. Since I got rid of them it’s been a lot smoother.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had Kenya tree leathers I had big problems with some Acroporas. Since I got rid of them it’s been a lot smoother.
Yeah leathers can be pretty obnoxious to sps corals. On top of the leather I'm dealing with high Alk, Ph swings and slightly elevated nitrates.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I didn't want to hijack @Bigtrout 's thread so I posted this here. This is a quick video of the issue I'm having with the reef-pi dash board, You can see in the video that when I refresh the page the layout I have chosen starts to load correctly, but as soon as all the graphs are loaded it switches to a single column arrangement. Like I said I'm running the latest release 2.2 and have the same version on both my pies. The second pi is running 2.2 as well and the dashboard looks as it should.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you check in private/incognito mode ? I have encountered the issue but it went away after a refresh. I am not able to . reproduce it again on my end. I'll keep looking,

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah leathers can be pretty obnoxious to sps corals. On top of the leather I'm dealing with high Alk, Ph swings and slightly elevated nitrates.

Ha I wish I was having issue with high alk. I use fritz salt and it tests right at 9dkh. Within a couple days I’m down at 7. So I have started dosing DIY alk along with dosing phosphates and NoPox. My nitrates are finally starting to fall.

I’ll say this since I’ve been dosing the phosphates the coloration in my corals are outstanding!!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I wish I was having issue with high alk. I use fritz salt and it tests right at 9dkh. Within a couple days I’m down at 7. So I have started dosing DIY alk along with dosing phosphates and NoPox. My nitrates are finally starting to fall.

I’ll say this since I’ve been dosing the phosphates the coloration in my corals are outstanding!!

I use Red Sea Coral Pro (black bucket) salt and my alkalinity runs at about 13 to 14 dkh and my calcium stays above 460. Mixed right out of the bucket the alkalinity is at 11dkh calcium is 450 and magnesium is 1350. My nitrates usually run about .25 ppm but recently jumped to closer to .50ppm and my phosphates run just detectable.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you by chance put the Lux meter under the lights and change the intensity in reefpi? I see an obvious dimming affect from 50% down but above 50% I visually don’t see a change. I am wondering if 50% is actually 100%. I really wish I had a par meter.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by chance put the Lux meter under the lights and change the intensity in reefpi? I see an obvious dimming affect from 50% down but above 50% I visually don’t see a change. I am wondering if 50% is actually 100%. I really wish I had a par meter.

No I didn't but I can do some testing today with intensity to see what it does over 50%. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back