Reef-pi project, stage 1 - LED lights

Hölpötti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all!
I am starting a new build: 24" * 24" * 24" all-in-one.
I was planning to buy the Waterbox 20gallon cube, but my Tunze 9004 was too big to fit so what the heck, lets build it DIY all the way.
I have optiwhite glasses allready ordered and next step is to start planning light for the aquarium.

I am going to use one of these 21 led 5 channel ones (allready ordered)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BRAB&usg=AOvVaw3DnXODulw_MMpLosAZAcCP&ampcf=1

No sure if this is enough, so I think that I add 12-16 pcs 3w stars that can fit in my ~8"*5" heatsink. Putting these extras on 3-4 channels.

I have made one led project (3w stars) previously, but I used TC420 to control that one. Now I am going to use Reef-Pi with Meanwell LDDs.

So my questions are:
- Is it enough light for 24" deep SPS dominated tank?
- Is there anything else I have to consider if using reef-pi with PCA9685?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all!
I was planning to buy the Waterbox 20gallon cube, but my Tunze 9004 was too big to fit so what the heck, lets build it DIY all the way.
I have optiwhite glasses allready ordered and next step is to start planning light for the aquarium.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BRAB&usg=AOvVaw3DnXODulw_MMpLosAZAcCP&ampcf=1

No sure if this is enough, so I think that I add 12-16 pcs 3w stars that can fit in my ~8"*5" heatsink. Putting these extras on 3-4 channels.

I have made one led project (3w stars) previously, but I used TC420 to control that one. Now I am going to use Reef-Pi with Meanwell LDDs.

So my questions are:
Welcome to reef to reef!
How many total channels will you have?
Are you going to be using reef pi to control anything else in your setup?

OP
OP
H

Hölpötti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21 led pack comes in 5 channels and I am thinking to have extra 3-4 channels depending what colors I might add. Propably add more blues and some lime/mint on seperate channel, so I can adjust the intensity.

I have planned to use Reef-Pi to control lights, but might as well measure temperature, control my heater and DIY doser (not started yet).

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all!

So my questions are:

I think with the additional 12-16 3w stars you should be getting enough. I tend to go overboard with leds but I would go with two of these pucks and then fill in the rest of what you need with the 3watts.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look and decide if you wanna do a scratch build or look at all the excellent reef pi hats if you want a jump start...
As far as the pca9685, I think its just a direct hookup to the ldd driver

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hölpötti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here is the new plan. 46 pieces 3w and 21 in premade fixture. Lots of wiring to be done. I might have to take couple of led out so I can fit the wiring. Now the total is about 200w. I was planning to do this without lenses but maybe use some on outer rim.

The shape gonna be a bit different what we use to have. I am aiming to use both wood and polycarbonate for the case. The case will be hung with "gooseneck" above the aquarium.

Now I have to figure out ratio of colors for those ~46 leds.
I was thinking:
- Royal blues 50%
- White 10%
- Blues 10%
- Violet/UV 20%
- Some lime and reds

Any recommendation?

led.JPG

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here is the new plan. 46 pieces 3w and 21 in premade fixture. Lots of wiring to be done. I might have to take couple of led out so I can fit the wiring. Now the total is about 200w. I was planning to do this without lenses but maybe use some on outer rim.

The shape gonna be a bit different what we use to have. I am aiming to use both wood and polycarbonate for the case. The case will be hung with "gooseneck" above the aquarium.

Now I have to figure out ratio of colors for those ~46 leds.
I was thinking:
- Royal blues 50%
- White 10%
- Blues 10%
- Violet/UV 20%
- Some lime and reds

Any recommendation?

led.JPG

I'd drop the reds. Tried that. Never did anything unless you're targeting plants. You also have a lot of 395, but didn't mention the manufacturer since efficiency is very varied in the violet range.

I like:

- Mint, a flat white (like the SunPlus or 5700k 90+ CRI whites), and PC Amber on the whites
- Cyan to fill the 500nm gap.
- Lots and lots of RB + Violet

My latest builds are basically that combination:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ledbrick-diy-led-pendant-with-pucks.243746/page-8#post-5739701

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back