Another Reef-pi build

Spathodus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to refurbish my reef-pi build for my 20 gallon to add some functionality and automate calcium top off. Last year around this same time, I completed my DIY 3w LED build and initial install of reef pi onto the new reef. After a lot of ups and downs with the tank (mainly a die off event and lots of hair algae), I decided to further expand the reef pi.

The first build consisted of a DIY LED fixture and some DS18b20 temp gauges. It was a bare bones setup to get the tank running and hopefully maturing until I had time to add some more features.

The initial LED build had 4 channels for various lights.
channel 1: 6 royal blues (rear)
channel 2: 5 royal blues (front)
channel 3: Whites 4x5k and 2 x 4k
channel 4: 2x Lime, 1x5k, 1 x 4k
All LEDs are driven by Meanwell LDD-1000L drivers powered to 2x 24v power supplies.
IMG_0433.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

All components were stuffed into 2 home depot random tool cases. This worked for a while and has proven to be reliable, but I needed more.

Most recently, as in this past weekend, I finished up a dualhead calicum doser for the tank.

This is also going to be controlled by the reef pi and I am currently figuring out a dosing schedule and top off regime.
IMG_3156.jpg

The two pumps are Welco WPX etc. etc. They're 24v, but I've decided to run them at 12v to simplify future add ons. Power and data connections will wire into the main controller box via a DB9 cable.
62432345011__71EAB830-C266-4D8E-831A-A24922961792.jpg

Excuse the multiple additional holes from past projects.

The next steps to this build are going to be a retrofit of the LEDs by subtracting some unneeded white leds and adding some UV, blues, greens, and possibly a photo red LED. I am currently figuring out the additional power requirements and lighting output of such. A relay box is also currently being made to control a powerhead or 2 and a heater when the winter arrives. A DIY refugium LED will be made and also powered by an additional LDD-1000L and a hood fan will be wired to turn on when the heatsink reaches a certain temp.
All electronics are going to be transplanted into a cleaner looking project box

62432356063__AE2FF468-D8AC-40C1-95AD-B7E770318030.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back