Reef-Questionable Fish!?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
In my 120g mixed reef tank, I'm considering some fish that are borderline reef safe and would welcome opinions on whether I should definitely avoid, consider, or go for it with any one of these fish (I would only get one of the 4)?

* Copperband Butterfly - Only potential risk is to soft corals, it seems? Odds of it leaving them alone greater than 75%? But also not easy to keep...
* Antennata Lionfish (or Mombasa) - One of the smallest lions (max 7") and I plan on all my fish being 3" or bigger - would they be safe? Would skunk cleaner shrimp get eaten (I may go without anyway)?
- Also, will these guys eat flakes, pellets, frozen mysis and such, or will I always have to target feed it big chunks of food? How often do they need to be fed?
* Leaning towards no on this one (risk to coral as well as inverts): Blue Throat Triggerfish - Biggest risk would be to all CUC and corals (also get big and eat a lot / create a lot of waste)?
* Leaning towards no on this one (risk to coral as well as inverts): Blue Spotted Puffer - Not as risky as the trigger? Biggest risks would be to all CUC and corals?

Which of the 4 would be likely be the safest in my tank long term? I'm thinking the lion would be safest if I were to get one of the four, but will 3" fish be safe (wrasse, jawfish, etc)?

My fish load includes / will include:
Blue Hippo Tang
Sailfin Tang
Yellow Tang
Black Leopard Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angel (pending transfer from another tank) - already a bit of a risk
Ocellaris Clownfish (pending transfer from another tank)
Royal Gramma Basslet (pending transfer from another tank)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (ordering soon)
Melanarus Wrasse (ordering soon) - also a reef cautious fish, at least with small shrimp...
Yellowhead Jawfish (ordering soon)
Pink Watchman Goby (ordering soon)
Longnose Hawkfish (ordering soon)
Maybe one Ignatus Anthias (later)
Maybe Zebra Barred Dartfish (later)
Maybe Chevron Tang or Powder Blue Tang (later)

I know that may seem like a lot of fish, but I'll stop at 12-13 and most will be in the 3-4" range (tangs are about 4-5" and when they get too big, I'll transfer them).

I would like to keep skunk cleaner shrimp, but I can do without if the fish would be a major risk. I probably won't do any other small shrimp. I have an emerald crab and some scarlet reef hermits. I would like a porcelain crab. The rest of my CUC are snails, fighting conch, and a serpent starfish. Thoughts? Thanks!
--Kyle

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept these fish in the past so I thought I would weight in with my experience.

My copperband has been in my tank for over 6 years and never nipped at a single coral but 4 years ago he ate 3 clams. You just never know what a copperband will nip at but LPS and clams are higher on the list.

I have had lion fish in reef tanks and they have never harmed any coral or anchored invertebrate but they will eat any fish or mobile invert that will fit in their mouth and they can fit alot more than you would think. Including many of the smaller fish on your list.

I have had blue throat trigger fish and never had them hurt a coral or fish but some would eat mobile invertebrates like crabs snails and shrimp. I also would worry about clams, scallops, and tube worms.

Blue Spot Puffers are the most nippy at corals of the list you have provided. Most nip at LPS but I have seen them go after SPS polyps and inverts as well.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept these fish in the past so I thought I would weight in with my experience.

My copperband has been in my tank for over 6 years and never nipped at a single coral but 4 years ago he ate 3 clams. You just never know what a copperband will nip at but LPS and clams are higher on the list.

I have had lion fish in reef tanks and they have never harmed any coral or anchored invertebrate but they will eat any fish or mobile invert that will fit in their mouth and they can fit alot more than you would think. Including many of the smaller fish on your list.

I have had blue throat trigger fish and never had them hurt a coral or fish but some would eat mobile invertebrates like crabs snails and shrimp. I also would worry about clams, scallops, and tube worms.

Blue Spot Puffers are the most nippy at corals of the list you have provided. Most nip at LPS but I have seen them go after SPS polyps and inverts as well.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I would plan on getting a 3-4" lion, so I would think my fish would be fine (and grow as the lion does). Assuming it would top out at 6-7", it seems like I would be okay?

You think they would eat emerald crabs? I would doubt they'd go after hermits in their shells?

Also, what did you feed your lion? Did it eat flakes, pellets, or frozen? If it needs to be hand / target fed, I might skip it. Otherwise, I'm thinking I might get one.

Leaning towards no on the trigger or puffer, and I'm doubtful on the copperband. I would like to get a clam again at some point. Maybe a feather duster too. Thanks!
--Kyle

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I would plan on getting a 3-4" lion, so I would think my fish would be fine (and grow as the lion does). Assuming it would top out at 6-7", it seems like I would be okay?

You think they would eat emerald crabs? I would doubt they'd go after hermits in their shells?

Also, what did you feed your lion? Did it eat flakes, pellets, or frozen? If it needs to be hand / target fed, I might skip it. Otherwise, I'm thinking I might get one.

Leaning towards no on the trigger or puffer, and I'm doubtful on the copperband. I would like to get a clam again at some point. Maybe a feather duster too. Thanks!
--Kyle
I love my copperband and I really think they are a great addition to most tanks but they still can nip sometimes. When I have kept lions I was able to get them to eat large frozen food like silver sides or krill but never flake or pellets. It is also a process to get them to eat frozen that takes a few weeks to a month of weening them off live food to frozen. If you can find a lion eating frozen then get him and feed the same thing you saw him eat at the shop.

I am honestly not not a big lion fan as though they look cool they don't do much. I would not be surprised if a dwarf lion would eat a clown fish or royal gramma.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the blue throat, they are awesome and don’t bother anything ime.

I would like one, but in addition to the concerns above (and eating / pooping a lot), I read a guy's post about them that it spit water out of the tank that constantly was creating steaks down the glass on his rimless tank (which mine is too). Plus, it would outgrow my tank.

I love my copperband and I really think they are a great addition to most tanks but they still can nip sometimes. When I have kept lions I was able to get them to eat large frozen food like silver sides or krill but never flake or pellets. It is also a process to get them to eat frozen that takes a few weeks to a month of weening them off live food to frozen. If you can find a lion eating frozen then get him and feed the same thing you saw him eat at the shop.

I am honestly not not a big lion fan as though they look cool they don't do much. I would not be surprised if a dwarf lion would eat a clown fish or royal gramma.

Thanks, all good info! I'm taking a small risk with a Coral Beauty Angelfish, so I could take the same risk with the Copperband... I definitely love the unique look of the fish and would love to have a butterfly.

Good point about the lion not doing much. But if it's visible most of the time, it's still a cool addition. Did yours not swim around much? Thanks,
--Kyle

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like one, but in addition to the concerns above (and eating / pooping a lot), I read a guy's post about them that it spit water out of the tank that constantly was creating steaks down the glass on his rimless tank (which mine is too). Plus, it would outgrow my tank.

Thanks, all good info! I'm taking a small risk with a Coral Beauty Angelfish, so I could take the same risk with the Copperband... I definitely love the unique look of the fish and would love to have a butterfly.

Good point about the lion not doing much. But if it's visible most of the time, it's still a cool addition. Did yours not swim around much? Thanks,
--Kyle
Mine did alot of just sitting around especially when well fed. Again very cool looking but doesn't do much.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now would not go with any pygmy angelfish. I had a cherub 1". Today 3 months later it is twice the size and healthy. Never bothered a coral. Last saturday noticed no polyp extension on most corals. Checked all
parameters and everything checked out. Sat and watched the tank for a few hours and sure enough it was nipping at most corals. No damage but no polyp extention. Long story short put in trap wednesday and just caught it 1 hour ago. Back to the lfs it goes.
Loved the fish but my corals are #1.
At least I did not have to tear down the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back