Reef Roids Coral Food by Polyp Lab - How Often are you supposed to Use It?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Reef Roids Coral Food by Polyp Lab.

It says to use 1/4 Teaspoon for every 25 Gallons.

But How Often are you supposed to Use It?

It does not say.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be used as often as you like depending on export systems which range between tanks. Massive skimmer setups or auto water change setups could use more than standard hands off reefs that may store up wastes more so

If I had a larger tank I wouldn't broadcast feed it anyway, it would be target injections using less, but more often, right on hungry corals in the morning when feeder polyps are out. It can be fed until the target maximums for po4 and nitrate are met, so it's strongly tied to dwell time in the tank as uneaten food if applicable and the other imports/exports for the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be used as often as you like depending on export systems which range between tanks. Massive skimmer setups or auto water change setups could use more than standard hands off reefs that may store up wastes more so

If I had a larger tank I wouldn't broadcast feed it anyway, it would be target injections using less, but more often, right on hungry corals in the morning when feeder polyps are out. It can be fed until the target maximums for po4 and nitrate are met, so it's strongly tied to dwell time in the tank as uneaten food if applicable and the other imports/exports for the tank.

How often do you yourself use it?

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have been wondering about how often to feed too. I have been target feeding about 2-3 times a week in my 29g tank. I have noticed my zoas growing pretty well.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have been wondering about how often to feed too. I have been target feeding about 2-3 times a week in my 29g tank. I have noticed my zoas growing pretty well.

That is what worries me.

Most Zoanthids do not close up and eat it and most of my corals are Zoanthids.

It makes me wonder if I am just polluting my tank for no reason.

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically turn off anything that creates flow in my tank and I use like a turkey baster to squirt the food over them. They close up for about a minute or so and then open back up. I leave everything off for another 5 minutes so everything has a chance to settle.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically turn off anything that creates flow in my tank and I use like a turkey baster to squirt the food over them. They close up for about a minute or so and then open back up. I leave everything off for another 5 minutes so everything has a chance to settle.

I will have to try that.

I have always just Dosed the Tank.

The Proto-Paly's (Mindblowing Paly's, Captain Americas, Purple Deaths, and Nuclear Greens) all Close up but the Zoanthids never close.

Ascended Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what worries me.

Most Zoanthids do not close up and eat it and most of my corals are Zoanthids.

It makes me wonder if I am just polluting my tank for no reason.
Zoanthids will generally eat it. As long as the solution is'nt as thick. I make mine thick, feed my lps, then add more water and brodcast feed my zoanthids. Like stated above, leave pumps off for 5 minutes to let everything consume and digest these reef roids.

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get the paste like consistency? No matter the amount of water I add I just get particles floating, no paste.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually put 1 teaspoon of ReefRoids in a shotglass and roughly 10+ml RO water and stir then suck up in syringe. It's not like toothpaste but a fine mix and just sprinkle it over corals w/pumps off. I usually let it sit for 10 mins before turning on pumps.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank starts turning brown then the answer is “less than that.”

Seriously I dosed every day for a while and when things got messy I backed down to every other day which seems to be about right.

For what it’s worth I broadcast and my corals get it just fine with all pumps on. It’s just a guess, but my first guess if they’re not getting some is that you don’t have enough flow.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back