Reef roids - how often

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often can I broadcast feed some reef roids? I bought it and want to use it up after having not used it due to high NO3. My NO3 is now in the detectable to 1 range so I'm looking to get some use of it.

This can be used as a daily supplement or something like once weekly? Or keep at it daily until I see NO3 start rising too much?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often can I broadcast feed some reef roids? I bought it and want to use it up after having not used it due to high NO3. My NO3 is now in the detectable to 1 range so I'm looking to get some use of it.

This can be used as a daily supplement or something like once weekly? Or keep at it daily until I see NO3 start rising too much?
Very high in phosphate. Make sure you test weekly until stable.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 has been at 0.04 and does not move. Good to know. I did roughly 1/8-1/4 tsp broadcast into my 75 tonight for the first time in many months. The jar is essentially brand new. :)

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that it varies from tank to tank how often it can be fed, I target one of my tanks twice a week and the other once a week. I've found and been told by others that while it's great for broadcast feeding it can boost your nitrates quickly.
I'd recomend starting slowly maybe once a week and test your nitrates regularly, if your tank is fine with that try twice a week and so on until you see a change in nitrates and that should give you a rough idea how often you can get away with feeing it. Better to use it sparingly and slowly than add alot and regret it. I learnt that the hard way

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that it varies from tank to tank how often it can be fed, I target one of my tanks twice a week and the other once a week. I've found and been told by others that while it's great for broadcast feeding it can boost your nitrates quickly.
I'd recomend starting slowly maybe once a week and test your nitrates regularly, if your tank is fine with that try twice a week and so on until you see a change in nitrates and that should give you a rough idea how often you can get away with feeing it. Better to use it sparingly and slowly than add alot and regret it. I learnt that the hard way
Sounds like a plan. I'll keep checking nitrates and phos this week after a single small dose and see where it goes. I hooked up an algae scrubber and have been working at eliminating GHA so I essentially quit dosing everything that I had been previously. The scrubber will probably keep it in line but I'll test every few days this week and see where it lands me. Thanks guys.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my high nutrient tank I only feed roids right before a water change. And that isn't quite broadcasting, just target feeding everything in my tank. If I had a lower nutrient tank like yours if probably feed alot more often

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to post, love the roid name lol

ZomboMeme 05102020210503.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i'm an outlier, but I usually do reef roids or BRS reef chili with my homemade fish food and acro power once a day. I do have a lot of tangs that need to be kept well fed to keep the aggression down. I have a 250 gallons to buffer, but I'm feeding 4 times a day pellets and Nori (once a day frozen), so I don't think a 1/2 tsp a day coral food is going to be the big contributor to nitrogen/phosphorous.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 40 AIO (30ish actual gallons) 1/4 tsp of roids will rase my phos 0.11ppm on a hanna. I would suggest checking right before and an hour after feeding, i had to start running chemi pure elite to help pull the phos back down.

i feed once per week.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed 2-3X per week

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Reef-Roids is spiking your nutrients, try Benereef instead.

I try to target feed rather than broadcast feeding, as I feel it keep my water cleaner and the corals seem to uptake more of the food. then again, my Nitrates and phosphates stay low, so I'm not too worried about over feeding.
I feed my fish multiple times per day and I feed my corals daily.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used three containers that I won in a raffle - wanted to see if my long-standing belief that these supplements are mostly useless, or if I saw something good. I dosed a few times a week like they recommended. I used all three containers Saw no harm. Also saw no benefit. My P did raise beyond what my fuge could handle and I had to use a bit of LaCl to get it back down to where I wanted it. In the end, no net affect to the corals. For reference, I only keep acropora and some clams.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every week - after the lights go out I turn of skimmer and remove mechanical filter for the night and add a good amount of reefroid in a cup and add to the tank. Prior to this I was turning of my return pump for a hour and broadcast feeding. The removal of mechanical and skimmer really helped keep food in suspension for the duration of night and corals seemed to respond better with this method. I also have less flow at night and find its better for PE.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back