Reef-Safe Acrylic Repair?

thewalkingdad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2019
Messages
214
Reaction score
272
Location
Idaho Falls, ID
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I ordered a specimen container to help introduce fish into the DT after their time in QT. Unfortunately, it arrived cracked and broken.

Is there a reef-safe acrylic cement that I can use to repair this little plastic box? I've heard Weld-On would work, but I would like either some validation of that or some alternatives.

Thanks
 
weld-on will work & would be the preferred cement for acrylic. there are different consistencies, weld-on #4 would be much thinner & used to adhere well prepared edges, weld-on #16 is much thicker & help fill in very small gaps in the repair depending on how tight the parts fit back together. it's the same cement used to build acrylic tanks, depending on the builders brand name of preference. in liquid form it's toxic like most adhesives but once cured it's 100% reef safe. & will work on the plastic the specimen containers are made out of.
 
Last edited:
weld-on will work & would be the preferred cement for acrylic. there are different consistencies, weld-on #4 would be much thinner & used to adhere well prepared edges, weld-on #16 is much thicker & help fill in very small gaps in the repair depending on how tight the parts fit back together. it's the same cement used to build acrylic tanks, depending on the builders brand name of preference. in liquid form it's toxic like most adhesives but once cured it's 100% reef safe. & will work on the plastic the specimen containers are made out of.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new