• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Reef-Safe Acrylic Repair?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I ordered a specimen container to help introduce fish into the DT after their time in QT. Unfortunately, it arrived cracked and broken.

Is there a reef-safe acrylic cement that I can use to repair this little plastic box? I've heard Weld-On would work, but I would like either some validation of that or some alternatives.

Thanks

Top Shelf Aquatics

fuelman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
weld-on will work & would be the preferred cement for acrylic. there are different consistencies, weld-on #4 would be much thinner & used to adhere well prepared edges, weld-on #16 is much thicker & help fill in very small gaps in the repair depending on how tight the parts fit back together. it's the same cement used to build acrylic tanks, depending on the builders brand name of preference. in liquid form it's toxic like most adhesives but once cured it's 100% reef safe. & will work on the plastic the specimen containers are made out of.

Last edited:
OP
thewalkingdad

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
weld-on will work & would be the preferred cement for acrylic. there are different consistencies, weld-on #4 would be much thinner & used to adhere well prepared edges, weld-on #16 is much thicker & help fill in very small gaps in the repair depending on how tight the parts fit back together. it's the same cement used to build acrylic tanks, depending on the builders brand name of preference. in liquid form it's toxic like most adhesives but once cured it's 100% reef safe. & will work on the plastic the specimen containers are made out of.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 266 42.9%
  • Every Month

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 80 12.9%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 85 13.7%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 61 9.8%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 30 4.8%