Reef-Safe Acrylic Repair?

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I ordered a specimen container to help introduce fish into the DT after their time in QT. Unfortunately, it arrived cracked and broken.

Is there a reef-safe acrylic cement that I can use to repair this little plastic box? I've heard Weld-On would work, but I would like either some validation of that or some alternatives.

Thanks

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weld-on will work & would be the preferred cement for acrylic. there are different consistencies, weld-on #4 would be much thinner & used to adhere well prepared edges, weld-on #16 is much thicker & help fill in very small gaps in the repair depending on how tight the parts fit back together. it's the same cement used to build acrylic tanks, depending on the builders brand name of preference. in liquid form it's toxic like most adhesives but once cured it's 100% reef safe. & will work on the plastic the specimen containers are made out of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thewalkingdad

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weld-on will work & would be the preferred cement for acrylic. there are different consistencies, weld-on #4 would be much thinner & used to adhere well prepared edges, weld-on #16 is much thicker & help fill in very small gaps in the repair depending on how tight the parts fit back together. it's the same cement used to build acrylic tanks, depending on the builders brand name of preference. in liquid form it's toxic like most adhesives but once cured it's 100% reef safe. & will work on the plastic the specimen containers are made out of.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back