OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the cherub angel. I've had one for about a year and it doesn't touch anything. I have mostly sps and a few lps. He's great, but a little neurotic--likes to swim up and down one side of my tank a lot. My tank is a reefer 250, so about the same size as your.
Sweet!
Question. Are the Cherub Angels and African Flameback Angels practically the same fish?
I prefer the African Flameback between the 2.

Now that's got me thinking :rolleyes:
Would it work to get a trio of African Flamebacks?

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!
Question. Are the Cherub Angels and African Flameback Angels practically the same fish?
I prefer the African Flameback between the 2.

Now that's got me thinking :rolleyes:
Would it work to get a trio of African Flamebacks?

Not sure if their temperament is the same or not. It seems like more people have the cherub so you'll probably find more people's experience with those.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Venustus, golden and multi bar are all either problem feeders or cryptic. Potters is perhaps my favorite of the dwarfs and generally well behaved, but it needs loads of live rock to graze. In my 265 I have a potters, flame, and LemonPeel. Added a venustus after nursing it through 12 weeks of QT. I've never seen it since. BTW had to move all my fleshy and frogspawn LPS to the refugium. Fortunately I like the fish more than the corals.

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after hearing a few of your opinions I think I'll most likely be crossing off the Venustus, Golden and Multibar do to their feeding habits.

Which leaves me with either
A Trio Of African Flamebacks
A Potters Angel
Or some of the other various angels listed.

Also after hearing mostly everyone saying they've had trouble with angels nipping their LPS, I'm thinking of looking into something else. As I mentioned before I do love Anthias and Wrasse. From what I've seen people have had success with Anthias in 60 cubes and 55 gallons. But I think I'm going to skip them... so that leaves me with the wrasses.
I'm a huge fan of Fairy Wrasses, especially the Flame, Rhomboid and a few select others. Not sure if my tank can handle 3 - 4 wrasses on top of a few other small fish.

I'm not sure what other options I have as I like to have trios or same species of fish in the tank.
The trio of Flamebacks is still in the back of my head... may try it out.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a screen top!

Cool. Any of those fancy wrasse would do but you can only get them one at a time unless you go with a flame wrasse pair, which I've heard many stories about the female eventually changing to male, or a rhombaldi (spelling?) pair. Or you can consider getting a pair of purple tilefish. Those are real pretty too.

kid976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of juvenile regal angels and a blueface angel in my reef and they don't touch any of my sps. I don't have any zoas or lps other than hammer and torch corals. Knock on wood
89fcd2cac8697a32b481ee58ea78f76b.png

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after hearing a few of your opinions I think I'll most likely be crossing off the Venustus, Golden and Multibar do to their feeding habits.

Which leaves me with either
A Trio Of African Flamebacks
A Potters Angel
Or some of the other various angels listed.

Also after hearing mostly everyone saying they've had trouble with angels nipping their LPS, I'm thinking of looking into something else. As I mentioned before I do love Anthias and Wrasse. From what I've seen people have had success with Anthias in 60 cubes and 55 gallons. But I think I'm going to skip them... so that leaves me with the wrasses.
I'm a huge fan of Fairy Wrasses, especially the Flame, Rhomboid and a few select others. Not sure if my tank can handle 3 - 4 wrasses on top of a few other small fish.

I'm not sure what other options I have as I like to have trios or same species of fish in the tank.
The trio of Flamebacks is still in the back of my head... may try it out.
Your tank is too small for a trio of dwarf angels, only get one.

Wrasses will work, but stick to flasher wrasses and small species of fairy wrasses.

Cool. Any of those fancy wrasse would do but you can only get them one at a time unless you go with a flame wrasse pair, which I've heard many stories about the female eventually changing to male, or a rhombaldi (spelling?) pair. Or you can consider getting a pair of purple tilefish. Those are real pretty too.
Don't get multiples of the same species of fairy or flasher wrasdes, but getting a single specimen of multiple species will work. Adding simultaneously is best, but if not possible use a social acclimation box to introduce new wrasses to an existing wrasse.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the flame back angel is your best option, tends to be smaller and easier to keep than Potter's.
and research compatibility of the fairy wrasses if you wan't to keep single specimen of multiple species, because some fairy wrasses are closely related and may fight with each other.

I think on your tank size and not to over stock it you can got a way with one fairy and one flasher

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a nice looking refugium!

Haha, yes it is. It's actually a 120 cobbled onto the rest of the system for animals that struggle in the main display. It's where I keep my prized Zebra Tang (so the Achilles doesn't kill it) along with a few leopard wrasses and previously nipped corals.

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes it is. It's actually a 120 cobbled onto the rest of the system for animals that struggle in the main display. It's where I keep my prized Zebra Tang (so the Achilles doesn't kill it) along with a few leopard wrasses and previously nipped corals.
It's 10x better looking with that Zebra Tang I bet ;)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept Cherubs in spawning pairs and the African flame back angel in spawning pairs neither of these ever touched my corals.

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept Cherubs in spawning pairs and the African flame back angel in spawning pairs neither of these ever touched my corals.
Great to know!
Still all over the place not 100% sure what I'll be getting as my "show fish". Flameback would look nice...

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Potters, flames, multicolor, coral beauties and Pygmy angelfish in LPS/softie dominant tanks. The one that did the most damage was a small cherub angel. He was a pain to catch and rehome. I currently have a flame and he is very well behaved with LPS and my clam. He also adds a nice pop of color. I love the Potters the most, however. They can be hard to keep, though.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an African Flameback that was a model citizen......for about 8 months. It then started eating acans and every other LPS in the tank. It's a crapshoot. Just be willing to remove it if you value the corals.

I think two dwarf angels in a tank this size is asking for trouble. Like above, be ready to remove one.

frankragghianti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Japanese swallow tail with a bunch of softies in 125 gal.for over a year no problems.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back