"Reef Safe" Angels

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Coral beauty, Potters, Swallowtails (Spot breasted), and Bellus angels for years which never touched a thing. I have a mixed reef, SPS heavy. Had and I repeat had a Flame angel. First 2 months perfect citizen, then he took a liking to all of my high-end Zoas.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 angels and several LPS and SPD. Angel don't touch a thing except the algae and bristle words

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame back angel and 2 x singapore angels and a tank full of softies. They leave everything alone.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hop in late, but I've had (and heard) mixed about Flame Angels. I've had Bellus, Lamarck and Pygmy Cherub with no issues. I've always wanted to get a pair of Japanese Spot Breasts.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also chiming in late, but I'll also endorse the African Flameback Angelfish.
I've had at least three of these fish in various reef tanks and they all did great; no picking at corals whatsoever. My current angel is in my 120gal mixed reef and it's very well behaved. In fact, I think that this fish doesn't even care about anything else in the tank. It doesn't bother any of the other fish or inverts; just wanders the tank looking for bits to eat.
I think it would be a great choice for your sized tank as they are one of the smaller dwarf angelfish species, and the bright contrast of the orange back on the dark blue body is beautiful.

I also like the Genicanthus angels, but they will grow too big for your tank.
I have a Lamarck's in my 120gal that is the dominant fish and there are times that I want to rehome the fish, but it's too pretty to just give it away.

dbp99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Lamarck's (for a couple years) and he's bad boy!! He will munch on acans and expensive ones at that!!! He is really pretty and I thought no way. Everything I read is they are totally reef safe. No no!! Enjoy no matter which route you go. Good Luck. Thx. Dave

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back