"Reef Safe" butterflies

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with copperbands is pretty extensive. I've owned a few myself and have a few within customers tanks I take care of. For the most part they are a very peaceful and shy fish when first introduced. Making sure any specimen you may be interested in is readily eating is the single most important thing.

Due to their demure personality I have had much greater success with them in smaller tanks. In smaller tanks it is much easier for them to get at food being fed. And while they are constantly occupied exploring every nook and cranny, I haven't observed much of difference in behavior of copperbands in larger tanks vs smaller tanks. The only significant difference is that copperbands in smaller tanks acclimate to captivity faster and are much bolder than those in larger tanks.

Having peaceful, smaller tankmates that also require multiple feedings also is pivitol to success with copperbands in the beginning. I've had copperbandd be fine with bolder species, but they thrive with calmer ones.

The tank that I have personally dealt with that has had the most success with delicate species, including copperbands is a 24"x 24" 60g cube tank. They have an almost full grown copperband that just 2 years ago was a tiny juvenile. It's growth rate is great, it is incredibly bold, always greating anybody at the front of the tank. The tank is aquascaped as a single tall structure with a cave in the bottom 1/3, so the copperband can swim around and explore. They feed heavily for other tankmates which include a trio of randalls anthias, a tiger jawfish, multibarred angel, banded pipefish, seahorse, among a few others.

Feeding, peaceful tankmates, and properly aqua scaped surroundings, as well as water quality are all of far greater significanse than tank size.

Would a pair of O clowns and 2 pygmy angels be too much competition, do you think?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a pair of O clowns and 2 pygmy angels be too much competition, do you think?
Clowns shouldn't be too much of an issue. There is a trio of ocellaris in the tank described above. Dwarf angels it depends on the species. Calmer, shyer species would work best, but I probably wouldn't do a pr in that size tank.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with copperbands is pretty extensive. I've owned a few myself and have a few within customers tanks I take care of. For the most part they are a very peaceful and shy fish when first introduced. Making sure any specimen you may be interested in is readily eating is the single most important thing.

Due to their demure personality I have had much greater success with them in smaller tanks. In smaller tanks it is much easier for them to get at food being fed. And while they are constantly occupied exploring every nook and cranny, I haven't observed much of difference in behavior of copperbands in larger tanks vs smaller tanks. The only significant difference is that copperbands in smaller tanks acclimate to captivity faster and are much bolder than those in larger tanks.

Having peaceful, smaller tankmates that also require multiple feedings also is pivitol to success with copperbands in the beginning. I've had copperbandd be fine with bolder species, but they thrive with calmer ones.

The tank that I have personally dealt with that has had the most success with delicate species, including copperbands is a 24"x 24" 60g cube tank. They have an almost full grown copperband that just 2 years ago was a tiny juvenile. It's growth rate is great, it is incredibly bold, always greating anybody at the front of the tank. The tank is aquascaped as a single tall structure with a cave in the bottom 1/3, so the copperband can swim around and explore. They feed heavily for other tankmates which include a trio of randalls anthias, a tiger jawfish, multibarred angel, banded pipefish, seahorse, among a few others.

Feeding, peaceful tankmates, and properly aqua scaped surroundings, as well as water quality are all of far greater significanse than tank size.
So I should be fine with one in my 90g ,?

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns shouldn't be too much of an issue. There is a trio of ocellaris in the tank described above. Dwarf angels it depends on the species. Calmer, shyer species would work best, but I probably wouldn't do a pr in that size tank.

It's a 120g and will shortly have a coral beauty and a flame.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only "reef safe" butterflies (and even this is not guaranteed as each fish has different personalities) are Prognathodes spp., Chelmon spp., Forcipiger spp., and Hemiaurichthys spp. I think these were all mentioned throughout. Within this, the Hemiaurichthys is most reef safe being a schooling planktivore. Chelmon and Forcipiger will eat tube worms for sure and occasionally "taste" coral depending on the indiviual. Prognathodes are Deepwater residents and tend to be fairly safe bets as well due to little coral being present in their habitat.

Size wise, you're going to be hard pressed to keep 2 happy butterflies in a 60. It's not impossible, but they are big active fish as adults.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know a copperband will wipe out tube worms pretty fast, then move on to aiptasia. They like the tubeworms that are like featherdusters, but wont do anthing to the ones that put out the spider web type strings.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast
Have you had any experience and or heard of any with the Burgessi Butterfly in a reef?
I would also like to keep a trio of smaller species of Anthia, because they would suite a butterfly well since they have similar feeding habits.
Do you have any photos of your 60 cube?

Last edited by a moderator:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast
Have you had any experience and or heard of any with the Burgessi Butterfly in a reef?
I would also like to keep a trio of smaller species of Anthia, because they would suite a butterfly well since they have similar feeding habits.
Do you have any photos of your 69 cube?
Burgess are a 'safer' butterfly, but can still nip, it's just hit-or-miss.

It's a customers 60g. I don't have any pics, but will take a pic next week if I remember.

Back