Reef Safe Hand Cleaner - Will this work?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to make a hand cleaner I could use instead of soap that would be reef safe. My wife loves having the most fragrant smelling soaps known to man in the house. This forces me to use liquid dish soap. I have OCD and will wash my hands until skin comes off in hope's that the soap residue is off my hands.

What I was thinking was to mix some coarse Pumice with vinegar in a soap dispenser bottle and I could use that to clean my hands instead of soap.

@Randy Holmes-Farley Do you see an issue with this? I don't know if there will be any reaction by doing this and also, will this be safe for my Acro dominant tank?

If it will work then do you know of anything else I could use or substitute with this?

This is the Pumice I ordered.
Element Pumice Powder 1 lb Bag - Scoop Included - 4 Grits Available (Coarse"O-1/2") Amazon product

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would never use that at home. I work on large machines for a living and it can be very dirty work, like elbow deep in oil pans and grease kinda dirty. That pumice mixed soap(you can buy it pre mixed) is great for the first go around if your really covered in gunk but I've had to reduce using it to 2x a day. Once before lunch and once before I head home and some weeks thats still too much. That stuff will absolutly destroy your skin when you over use it- think dry cracked red rashy skin. sticking a hand in that kinda shape into salt water is a whole different experiencei don't want to think about. Ive always defaulted to a good scrub with dawn dish soap and a nice long rinse and scrub before my hands go in the tank.

Just the 2c from someone who uses this stuff almost every day.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would never use that at home. I work on large machines for a living and it can be very dirty work, like elbow deep in oil pans and grease kinda dirty. That pumice mixed soap(you can buy it pre mixed) is great for the first go around if your really covered in gunk but I've had to reduce using it to 2x a day. Once before lunch and once before I head home and some weeks thats still too much. That stuff will absolutly destroy your skin when you over use it- think dry cracked red rashy skin. sticking a hand in that kinda shape into salt water is a whole different experiencei don't want to think about. Ive always defaulted to a good scrub with dawn dish soap and a nice long rinse and scrub before my hands go in the tank.

That is absolutely spot on it makes my hands crack up, its so painful this time of year I hate the stuff try dirt and dawn but it still tears the hands up.

Dawn with the ducks and just a drop wash and repeat as necessary

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use dawn dish soap too.. im a auto mechanic. I'm always dirty

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy equipment mechanic here, I use whatever commercial soap at work. Then I use dr.bronners unscented at home followed by a good scrub with regular Dawn, not the extra power stuff. I'm always head to toe diesel fuel, heavy moly grease, hydraulic oil, gear oil, deo, you name it. Never had a problem with pumice in soaps. One soap I always liked when I was a body guy was called nitro-clean or something. That stuff just worked

Back