Reef safe options for securing plugs to rack?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few zoas I'd like to grow out on frag racks but am annoyed having to keep reseating the plug while cleaning. My rack does not have the grips in the hole that seat the frag plug and hold it. I have read rubber bands can be used but not for long term.

Is there anything I can use to wrap around the stem of the plug so that the plug doesnt come out while I'm moving them around that will be a more semi permanent option?

P. S. I have single frag racks that have one magnet and hold on frag. In case that effects your answer ☺

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use plugs with holes drilled thru the stem you can stick a tooth pick thru the hole to keep the plug from falling out

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few zoas I'd like to grow out on frag racks but am annoyed having to keep reseating the plug while cleaning. My rack does not have the grips in the hole that seat the frag plug and hold it. I have read rubber bands can be used but not for long term.

Is there anything I can use to wrap around the stem of the plug so that the plug doesnt come out while I'm moving them around that will be a more semi permanent option?

P. S. I have single frag racks that have one magnet and hold on frag. In case that effects your answer ☺
Zip ties

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use plugs with holes drilled thru the stem you can stick a tooth pick thru the hole to keep the plug from falling out
Never would've thought of that mind blown. Although I don't have a drill capable of doing that atm. Noted.
Oh **** never would have thought of that, I also wouldn't of guessed reef safe.
I know salt is more corrosive than we like to admit. I assume when you want em off you just cut em out of tank and or snip the plug stem?

Any certain kind of zip ties I should look for? Don't wanna accidentally buy the the one kind that leeches with my luck

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never would've thought of that mind blown. Although I don't have a drill capable of doing that atm. Noted.

Oh **** never would have thought of that, I also wouldn't of guessed reef safe.
I know salt is more corrosive than we like to admit. I assume when you want em off you just cut em out of tank and or snip the plug stem?

Any certain kind of zip ties I should look for? Don't wanna accidentally buy the the one kind that leeches with my luck
I’ve searched and people have used nylon zip ties I believe. I haven’t used them but several others have and have said they are reef safe

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey tysm!!
200.gif

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back