Reef safe predators?

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such thing as reef safe predators for a 125 gallon? I currently have a snowflake eel(I know he is considered a predator, but they are the most docile eels I’ve seen), 2 clarkii clowns, a domino damsel, and 2 urchins. I don’t have a huge clean up crew as my urchins do a pretty good job, but I do have some snails and hermits. I’m not looking for crazy outrageous $100+ fish, but would like some more movement in the tank. I don’t have much coral either, but I do have a decent sized hammer that I really enjoy.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fuzzy dwarf but the fu man chu is amazing. I had both but my female blue throat trigger took both out. She also killed the male blue throat. When catching her to take her back to the lfs she took a chunk out of.my finger.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love lion fish, but me and my LFS both haven’t had good luck with the dwarfs. They’ve ordered the fu manchu multiple times for them to either be DOA or not live the 48 holding period. I’ve also tried a fuzzy dwarf and it was fine for the first 2 weeks then stopped eating and died shortly after. I’m kinda iffy on them now after the experiences.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get an idea of what you are looking for, some of your questions may have been answered in a recent post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/predator-reef.611061/#post-6151250 The domino damsel could possibly be at risk, the clarkii's are large enough and can hold their own, urchins usually do fine, corals aren't bothered, and cuc can just be replaced or do without.

@sfin52 experience with a female blue throat trigger is a bit unusual, they are usually not that aggressive. A blue throat trigger would work well in a 125 reef. Research a bunch on dwarf lions, their feeding challenges are not for everyone, and if being fed a dead only diet will likely not provide much movement. A zebrasoma tang would work well also, in a 125g I would likely try a purple or yellow tang and a male blue throat trigger and maybe a harlequin tusk. The purple tang will be a bit over $100 likely $150, yellow tangs are a dime a dozen. An indonesian harlequin tusk can be found for around $79-99.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get an idea of what you are looking for, some of your questions may have been answered in a recent post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/predator-reef.611061/#post-6151250 The domino damsel could possibly be at risk, the clarkii's are large enough and can hold their own, urchins usually do fine, corals aren't bothered, and cuc can just be replaced or do without.

@sfin52 experience with a female blue throat trigger is a bit unusual, they are usually not that aggressive. A blue throat trigger would work well in a 125 reef. Research a bunch on dwarf lions, their feeding challenges are not for everyone, and if being fed a dead only diet will likely not provide much movement. A zebrasoma tang would work well also, in a 125g I would likely try a purple or yellow tang and a male blue throat trigger and maybe a harlequin tusk. The purple tang will be a bit over $100 likely $150, yellow tangs are a dime a dozen. An indonesian harlequin tusk can be found for around $79-99.
fully agree. That one was way out of the ordinary. Lfs thought I was kidding till it took out another fish. My male which I had first was as calm as could be. It ate nori sheets and was gentle to all tank inhabitants. My intent was not to speak bad of blue throats just mine. In another set up I would put a pair in.

Harlequin tusk are a gorgous fish. Would be a focal point of the tank as well. Great suggestion.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about the domino damsel could be at risk? He was a tank setup fish that has lived through everything this tank has thrown at him. He’s been peaceful as my larger clarkii and my snowflake keep him in check.

I read through that other thread and all I really got from it is to stay away from triggers other than maybe the blue throat. I’ve looked into a yellow tang or even a lavender tang as that’s pretty common at the LFS. I went as far as considering a panther grouper, but checked that off the list when I seen max size.

I’m definitely interested in some sort of tang, either a flame, rusty, or coral beauty dwarf angel, and maybe even a marine Betta. I look into a second eel and got turned off on that as I’ve seen horror stories. Even looked into an emperor angel, but seen they also grow to big. It’s all about what my LFS can get or has kinda thing. My options are very limited with them.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I mentioned the domino damsel was because of his small size, since you are not interested in a lion fish he should be safe, he'll likely hold his own with whatever other choices you make.. Any angels will be a risk to coral nipping, so it's up to you how much you like the fish compared to it's risk of nipping corals. The lavender tang would be a good choice. The marine betta is a nice fish, but many times can be rather cryptic, not a fish you would expect alot of showy movement, they tend to hang in the rocks mostly, I would rarely see mine out in the open.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safest with coral is the coral beauty. Mine has been a model citizen. I have seen others that weren't. More times than not the coral beauty is a good angel. @fabutahoun you've a ton of angels, thoughts. ( 125g tank some lps recommended angels.)

Indigo hamlet is a small grouper a gorgeous fish. Maxes out about 4-5 inches. That would be a great small predator.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I will do some research into the coral beauty and the indigo hamlet for now.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much you like your snails and crabs. I have a reef predator tank but it is without a cleanup crew. If you are willing to let those go, you have a ton of options since you only need to worry about eliminating coral eating fish. I have a pair of bird wrasses and a small picasso trigger that leave everything along, except my CUC.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I care about out of my clean up crew is my urchins. As long as they don’t bother then I could care less.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safest with coral is the coral beauty. Mine has been a model citizen. I have seen others that weren't. More times than not the coral beauty is a good angel. @fabutahoun you've a ton of angels, thoughts. ( 125g tank some lps recommended angels.)

Indigo hamlet is a small grouper a gorgeous fish. Maxes out about 4-5 inches. That would be a great small predator.
I have a coral beauty in my 300gal reef was one of our first fish five years ago in a 75gal. I’d a model citizen and no coral nipping. Also have an annularis angel in this reef. It nipped at acans, so I leave those out of the tank and anything that feeds like the acans do. Other wise it leaves the coral alone. What about a corris wrasse, very pretty lots of movement, sand sleeping and will eat the cuc but they are replaceable. I have one in my reef and also some small fire fish and a small damsel, the corris wrasse does not bother the smaller fish but I got it as a small juvenile so it grew up with the smaller fish. Also have a valentini puffer in my reef. Lov him! Again only picks at the snails... my cuc is small for a 300gal tank!
Anyway just my two cents! Good luck with your selections.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As sfin said, coral beauty is one of safest options for a mixed and lps tank.

Other fish options include Harlequin Tusk, but it will eat shrimps and snails, but it is a very cool fish. Try to get Australian one as it is more beautiful than Indonesian or Philippino.

Also you can get some of the more peaceful triggers like “Blue Throat Triggerfish”

Please note that all these are not true predators.

My favorite predator fish is the lion fish, there are many beautiful species of lion fish. Just don’t have any small fish that can fit in its mouth. Also avoid getting stung as it is venomous. You can try dwarf lion fish.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As sfin said, coral beauty is one of safest options for a mixed and lps tank.

Other fish options include Harlequin Tusk, but it will eat shrimps and snails, but it is a very cool fish. Try to get Australian one as it is more beautiful than Indonesian or Philippino.

Also you can get some of the more peaceful triggers like “Blue Throat Triggerfish”

Please note that all these are not true predators.

My favorite predator fish is the lion fish, there are many beautiful species of lion fish. Just don’t have any small fish that can fit in its mouth. Also avoid getting stung as it is venomous. You can try dwarf lion fish.

Me and my LFS have had a lot of bad luck with dwarf lions. The volitian is the only one they have had success with and that’s to big for my tank.

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to create new thread but this is relevant and similar.

I have a pink tail trigger, he hasn't touched any of the snails or the peppermint shrimp that hitched a ride on some rock I put in.

I want to add some more large Turbo snails and possibly a couple of skunk cleaners or fire shrimp.

I've read from others that when I introduced they leave the existing alone but are straight onto anything newly Introduced.

My thinking is to acclimate and house in the sump until midnight and pop them in whilst he's asleep.

Would he really notice there was something new the following morning?

20190622_094015(0).jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to create new thread but this is relevant and similar.

I have a pink tail trigger, he hasn't touched any of the snails or the peppermint shrimp that hitched a ride on some rock I put in.

I want to add some more large Turbo snails and possibly a couple of skunk cleaners or fire shrimp.

I've read from others that when I introduced they leave the existing alone but are straight onto anything newly Introduced.

My thinking is to acclimate and house in the sump until midnight and pop them in whilst he's asleep.

Would he really notice there was something new the following morning?

20190622_094015(0).jpg

The plan to introduce after bedtime is a good one. The turbos will likely be fine, but I would not count on the shrimp. If the shrimp last long it will be more of an exception, rather than the norm. I've also kept urchins with my pinktail and other triggers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back