jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was thinking of setting up a predator tank the dimensions I would do are strange 36x24x42 or 42x24x42 can’t get around the 24 wide unfortunately because of the door but was wondering if I could put anything cool I already have a valintini puffer and want a snowflake eel but was just curious on what you think also I made it so deep thinking I won’t need to reach the bottom with no coral and stand would be 16 inches

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1st, what if your definition of a predator tank. Length is actually the most important dimension when it comes to eels, a full grown snowflake can average around 30". Gallon wise that tank could accommodate many species, but the square dimensions will restrict some, larger fish will want more length. The valentini puffer is a notorious nipper and I am hesitant to recommend any lions, and no anglers. You could consider a scorp on the lines of a Scorpaenodes brasiliensis(aka barbfish) or other similarly sized scorp that you may find available. Any larger predator with a large mouth will eat anything small, and those dimensions will limit you to larger fish. Without the puffer you could do dwarf and medium bodied lions, a properly sized angler, and other assorted scorps; that's my idea of a predator tank. If that puffer becomes a nipper it usually ends badly. Lions and anglers get stressed and feeding becomes even more difficult for species which are already challenging to feed. Injury to an angler can turn bad quickly. Or they end up on the end of a lion spike.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1st, what if your definition of a predator tank. Length is actually the most important dimension when it comes to eels, a full grown snowflake can average around 30". Gallon wise that tank could accommodate many species, but the square dimensions will restrict some, larger fish will want more length. The valentini puffer is a notorious nipper and I am hesitant to recommend any lions, and no anglers. You could consider a scorp on the lines of a Scorpaenodes brasiliensis(aka barbfish) or other similarly sized scorp that you may find available. Any larger predator with a large mouth will eat anything small, and those dimensions will limit you to larger fish. Without the puffer you could do dwarf and medium bodied lions, a properly sized angler, and other assorted scorps; that's my idea of a predator tank. If that puffer becomes a nipper it usually ends badly. Lions and anglers get stressed and feeding becomes even more difficult for species which are already challenging to feed. Injury to an angler can turn bad quickly. Or they end up on the end of a lion spike.
Thank you for the reply I think I’m going to stay away from the lions for now and also re think the dimensions

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back