What can I get with these dimensions?

jdm_aquatics!

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2022
Messages
41
Reaction score
29
Location
nj
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was thinking of setting up a predator tank the dimensions I would do are strange 36x24x42 or 42x24x42 can’t get around the 24 wide unfortunately because of the door but was wondering if I could put anything cool I already have a valintini puffer and want a snowflake eel but was just curious on what you think also I made it so deep thinking I won’t need to reach the bottom with no coral and stand would be 16 inches
 
Well 1st, what if your definition of a predator tank. Length is actually the most important dimension when it comes to eels, a full grown snowflake can average around 30". Gallon wise that tank could accommodate many species, but the square dimensions will restrict some, larger fish will want more length. The valentini puffer is a notorious nipper and I am hesitant to recommend any lions, and no anglers. You could consider a scorp on the lines of a Scorpaenodes brasiliensis(aka barbfish) or other similarly sized scorp that you may find available. Any larger predator with a large mouth will eat anything small, and those dimensions will limit you to larger fish. Without the puffer you could do dwarf and medium bodied lions, a properly sized angler, and other assorted scorps; that's my idea of a predator tank. If that puffer becomes a nipper it usually ends badly. Lions and anglers get stressed and feeding becomes even more difficult for species which are already challenging to feed. Injury to an angler can turn bad quickly. Or they end up on the end of a lion spike.
 
Well 1st, what if your definition of a predator tank. Length is actually the most important dimension when it comes to eels, a full grown snowflake can average around 30". Gallon wise that tank could accommodate many species, but the square dimensions will restrict some, larger fish will want more length. The valentini puffer is a notorious nipper and I am hesitant to recommend any lions, and no anglers. You could consider a scorp on the lines of a Scorpaenodes brasiliensis(aka barbfish) or other similarly sized scorp that you may find available. Any larger predator with a large mouth will eat anything small, and those dimensions will limit you to larger fish. Without the puffer you could do dwarf and medium bodied lions, a properly sized angler, and other assorted scorps; that's my idea of a predator tank. If that puffer becomes a nipper it usually ends badly. Lions and anglers get stressed and feeding becomes even more difficult for species which are already challenging to feed. Injury to an angler can turn bad quickly. Or they end up on the end of a lion spike.
Thank you for the reply I think I’m going to stay away from the lions for now and also re think the dimensions
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new