reef safe puffers or angels?

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked up a canthigaster rostrata today for cheap, did some research before hand saw they were with caution reef safe im aware of the cuc issues with puffers but i saw it nips at soft corals sometimes. anyone have experience which corals i should avoid/they are caught eating the most? aswell as what if any dwarf angel would any of you recommend for a beginner reef tank. i just have a bullseye mushroom coral right now like 2 inches diameter its doing well so im trying to build my reef tank around the fact i want a angel and i own a puffer. any recommendations for what corals have the best shot at not being food in the tank with the puffer aswell as any angels that one could consider reef safe with caution would be awesome. lighting is fluval marine 59 watt bar, so only corals that would work with that light please, dont wanna spend more i dont desire the expensive corals more or less just corals that grow fast and take over so i dont have bare rock.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if any dwarf angel would any of you recommend for a beginner reef tank.
A quarantined one.

If you want a dwarf angel, then get one, and plan your corals accordingly. None of the centropyge angels that I've kept have ever shown any interest in softies or LPS, and those are the corals to which you will be restricted, in any case, before your tank matures.

There are far more troublesome stealth corallivores out there, like matted filefish, even though everyone tends to ignore them.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quarantined one.

If you want a dwarf angel, then get one, and plan your corals accordingly. None of the centropyge angels that I've kept have ever shown any interest in softies or LPS, and those are the corals to which you will be restricted, in any case, before your tank matures.

There are far more troublesome stealth corallivores out there, like matted filefish, even though everyone tends to ignore them.
are hammers in that classification of lps or soft coral?

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hammers/torches/frogspawn are all LPS...

pick a reef safe fish setup or fish only setup.. do your research. combined are almost impossible without alot of experience

MarcusH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on type of puffer and how it's feeling that day it could eat any coral or none of them.

I'd say get some different small softy frags and see what he'll ignore. Many softies grow fast and usually inexpensive to get pieces. You have a mushroom but I'd also try a leather, xenia, clove polyps, maybe those green or purple palys. These should all work fine even if you don't have fancy lighting.

These corals do have the capability to overrun your tank though so either pay attention that you don't let them get out of hand or be ok with replacing most of your rock in the future (will take awhile to grow out that much, at least a year).

Back