"Reef Safe" Vendors

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only imagine. I was a member of a trained entry team as an officer and the team medic. Thank god I only had to use my skills in training and not a real event. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Yeah. I’m too much of a scaredy cat to even go through a training like that. I have to say, the police were amazing. They all ran straight for the shooting no hesitation. It was incredibly brave.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I’m too much of a scaredy cat to even go through a training like that. I have to say, the police were amazing. They all ran straight for the shooting no hesitation. It was incredibly brave.
That's our job. It's what we trained for over and over. Theres no thinking it's only action. And to protect the lives of the innocent.

Coral Frenzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see what is the harm in doing this? Personally, I like the idea of wristbands, It makes it easy on the event staff if a child is separated from their parent. Nobody is forcing anybody to partake in doing it so I don't see the big deal.

Our local town pays for an Uber for anybody on New Years Eve but there were still arrests and accidents this past year. Nobody forces them to take it but I bet you the majority, if not all, of the ones arrested or who were in an accident wishes they would have taken the free Uber.

U

User1

View Badges
I really don't see what is the harm in doing this? Personally, I like the idea of wristbands, It makes it easy on the event staff if a child is separated from their parent. Nobody is forcing anybody to partake in doing it so I don't see the big deal.

Our local town pays for an Uber for anybody on New Years Eve but there were still arrests and accidents this past year. Nobody forces them to take it but I bet you the majority, if not all, of the ones arrested or who were in an accident wishes they would have taken the free Uber.

Do you do this at a ball game? Do you do this going to the mall? Disneyland? Concert? Question - did the person who attended the event feel threatened in anyway or for their child's safety? Did they stay the whole time? The post said "after the fact" which means everything was fine.

With regards to a taxi service a lot of places do this. Heck, even most bars in mid town will send you home in a cab regardless of the time of year. Still, glad your town is doing that. Sadly, people still make poor judgements :(

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do this at a ball game? Do you do this going to the mall? Disneyland? Concert? Question - did the person who attended the event feel threatened in anyway or for their child's safety? Did they stay the whole time? The post said "after the fact" which means everything was fine.

With regards to a taxi service a lot of places do this. Heck, even most bars in mid town will send you home in a cab regardless of the time of year. Still, glad your town is doing that. Sadly, people still make poor judgements :(
No, it isn’t done at those places that I am aware of. Correct, I was made aware after the fact. As I said previously, my OP could have used different wording and my idea wasn’t perfect but my intentions came from what I believed to be a good place whether most agree or not. I was just trying to get others feedback and opinions and clearly this isn’t something needed or wanted in the hobby and I respect and understand that.

U

User1

View Badges
No, it isn’t done at those places that I am aware of. Correct, I was made aware after the fact. As I said previously, my OP could have used different wording and my idea wasn’t perfect but my intentions came from what I believed to be a good place whether most agree or not. I was just trying to get others feedback and opinions and clearly this isn’t something needed or wanted in the hobby and I respect and understand that.

So you attended the event. Had a good time. No threat. Found out after and want change.

There is a saying that goes something like the road to hell is paved with good intent.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you attended the event. Had a good time. No threat. Found out after and want change.

There is a saying that goes something like the road to hell is paved with good intent.
Thank you ... appreciate the feedback.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone coming up with ideas to better protect our children is to be commended. We as a society will balance out the need to provide reasonably safe environments for our families with our other needs and wants while maintaining the rights we wish to have. Do we ever get a perfect solution? Of course not! That's to be expected in any free diverse society, but we all do our best.

The OP is to be applauded for bringing up a topic and ideas that are obviously important to us, however they were originally stated on the community forum. Who has ever had an idea that was not improved on or modified through discussion, that's why we um, now stay with me here...respectfully discuss them.

Thank you, helen ann! I believe we have all come up with some workable and productive ideas that I hope find their way in some form to future events.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone coming up with ideas to better protect our children is to be commended. We as a society will balance out the need to provide reasonably safe environments for our families with our other needs and wants while maintaining the rights we wish to have. Do we ever get a perfect solution? Of course not! That's to be expected in any free diverse society, but we all do our best.

The OP is to be applauded for bringing up a topic and ideas that are obviously important to us, however they were originally stated on the community forum. Who has ever had an idea that was not improved on or modified through discussion, that's why we um, now stay with me here...respectfully discuss them.

Thank you, helen ann! I believe we have all come up with some workable and productive ideas that I hope find their way in some form to future events.
I appreciate the feedback but I am not to be applauded. Think at this time it is best that shows continue doing whatever they feel is best for their show.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the making me ‘lol’!
Was just a girl with silly and apparently not so good idea.:rolleyes:

@helen ann I do not believe your idea was "silly".

Having read through all 14 pages I think some people may have read between the lines on the OP for something that wasn't actually written.

As long as the goal/solution does not require the labeling/shaming/banning of any individual for a past deed they may have already atoned for I don't see how this isn't seen as a good idea as it would have very minimal impact on vendors and attendees. Bottom line, is that whatever is implemented or not, should have no effect on vendors/attendees to make transactions.

Based on my reading, here is where I think the idea currently stands - and feel free to correct me if I am wrong or misunderstanding - and what I have seen that would be considered viable and agreeable solutions.

Banning/Labeling (or non-labeling)/Shaming - wrong, and should NOT be done. So the idea of the sticker/poster for individuals/booths should not be done as to not single any vendor(s) out and tread on their legal rights.

"Safe Zone" - good. In my opinion, I think there should be two "zones" at the events, one near the entrance and one as close to center as possible, just for the event that parent/child are separated, and who wouldn't also agree this would be a good idea for spouses/friends as well? (When my wife and I are accidentally separated w/ a dead phone(s) at Disney - Magic Kingdom, the People Mover is our predetermined meet up location). If these "zones" become staples they could become easy land marks/navigational items for getting around the shows.

Background Checks - mixed. I like the thought of background checks for anyone who wants to volunteer to work the "safe zone", but should not be required of any vendor or attendee of a show. I also agree that these could/should be people trained for these kind of programs (LE, FD, or other professional) and not just any attendee. If it is done on a volunteer basis, maybe these people work in shifts and get in to the show free? (Comment on the cost, from my understanding there are different "levels" of background check here in Central FL where I teach, we are required to have a Level 2 background check which requires fingerprints and runs $125-150 but Level 1 checks are $30-40)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@helen ann I do not believe your idea was "silly".

Having read through all 14 pages I think some people may have read between the lines on the OP for something that wasn't actually written.

As long as the goal/solution does not require the labeling/shaming/banning of any individual for a past deed they may have already atoned for I don't see how this isn't seen as a good idea as it would have very minimal impact on vendors and attendees. Bottom line, is that whatever is implemented or not, should have no effect on vendors/attendees to make transactions.

Based on my reading, here is where I think the idea currently stands - and feel free to correct me if I am wrong or misunderstanding - and what I have seen that would be considered viable and agreeable solutions.

Banning/Labeling (or non-labeling)/Shaming - wrong, and should NOT be done. So the idea of the sticker/poster for individuals/booths should not be done as to not single any vendor(s) out and tread on their legal rights.

"Safe Zone" - good. In my opinion, I think there should be two "zones" at the events, one near the entrance and one as close to center as possible, just for the event that parent/child are separated, and who wouldn't also agree this would be a good idea for spouses/friends as well? (When my wife and I are accidentally separated w/ a dead phone(s) at Disney - Magic Kingdom, the People Mover is our predetermined meet up location). If these "zones" become staples they could become easy land marks/navigational items for getting around the shows.

Background Checks - mixed. I like the thought of background checks for anyone who wants to volunteer to work the "safe zone", but should not be required of any vendor or attendee of a show. I also agree that these could/should be people trained for these kind of programs (LE, FD, or other professional) and not just any attendee. If it is done on a volunteer basis, maybe these people work in shifts and get in to the show free? (Comment on the cost, from my understanding there are different "levels" of background check here in Central FL where I teach, we are required to have a Level 2 background check which requires fingerprints and runs $125-150 but Level 1 checks are $30-40)
Thank you, you have some great ideas! Not sure at this point if this something I will continue to fight for or not.

dtm2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a probation/parole officer for sex offenders in a very major city. Actually a city that hosts multiple reef/aquatic/reptile etc shows not to mention professional sports snd countless other family safe events. Offenders that have to register not only have to register their place of employment but also any address they attend for work and/or visit. There are many safety precautions in place any time a situation like this happens. First off it is investigated before approval to work or even attend as a visiter. Up to the discretion of the officers to place the individual on a gps tracking system for the event, local law enforcement is notified snd any event security and supervising officials. The offenders boss must know of his conditions and also agree to supervise his actions to which they could be held liable as well. Typically events like this are strictly prohibited unless special conditions apply. We try hard to keep you and your families safe and I assure there was some sort of standards in place. If there was not and the individual did this without permission they are in direct violation of federal or state sex offender registry and are subject to warrants and rearrest and new charges.

I am a fan of safe zones. Any way that we can keep our children safe is a huge plus in my books. If someone were to present an idea to me or my office I personally would put in the overtime to make all feel at ease if nothing else.

Last edited:

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is stupid. If you have kids (as I do) watch them. This isn't a situation in which you should ever allow your children to be out of your sight. I certainly understand and applaud background checks, check in/ check out procedures, etc. at daycare or school but not at any sort of convention. If a "safe zone" is wanted then just hire a police officer for the day, don't assign it to random people at a convention who themselves could be perverts.

U

User1

View Badges
I am a fan of safe zones. Any way that we can keep our children safe is a huge plus in my books. If someone were to present an idea to me or my office I personally would put in the overtime to make all feel at ease if nothing else.

Which is great.

Also note that the OP felt at ease the whole time they attended the event per their comment in the post several times. Sounds like a win win for everybody.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is stupid. If you have kids (as I do) watch them. This isn't a situation in which you should ever allow your children to be out of your sight. I certainly understand and applaud background checks, check in/ check out procedures, etc. at daycare or school but not at any sort of convention. If a "safe zone" is wanted then just hire a police officer for the day, don't assign it to random people at a convention who themselves could be perverts.

Upon reflection "stupid" is probably too strong. I know the ideas come from a good place but I still do not agree.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back