Reef Savvy 75 gallon from IM 25

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby for about 5 years. I started with an IM 10 then went to an IM 25. This is my first tank with a sump. I previously only used highly quality live rock and filter socks for filtration but now I'm learning how to use the protein skimmer.

Here's what I have! 75 gallon reef savvy tank on an 80/20 stand. It's plumbed to it a fiji cube sump. I started by painting the wood block black and I added a few panels. Since the tank came with some fish, I wanted to get it up and running as quick as possible. I used Carib sea fiji pink live sand, live rock from a few different local fish stores, microbacter 7 and nature's ocean saltwater to help establish bacteria as quickly as possible before moving over all the rock and fish from my tank.

I'm just keeping a close eye on the water parameters now and bleaching some of the old live rock that was covered in aiptasia. Tank has been running well for about 2 Weeks and all the fishies are eating well and playing nice.

20210211_083954.jpg 20210216_085136.jpg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby for about 5 years. I started with an IM 10 then went to an IM 25. This is my first tank with a sump. I previously only used highly quality live rock and filter socks for filtration but now I'm learning how to use the protein skimmer.

Here's what I have! 75 gallon reef savvy tank on an 80/20 stand. It's plumbed to it a fiji cube sump. I started by painting the wood block black and I added a few panels. Since the tank came with some fish, I wanted to get it up and running as quick as possible. I used Carib sea fiji pink live sand, live rock from a few different local fish stores, microbacter 7 and nature's ocean saltwater to help establish bacteria as quickly as possible before moving over all the rock and fish from my tank.

I'm just keeping a close eye on the water parameters now and bleaching some of the old live rock that was covered in aiptasia. Tank has been running well for about 2 Weeks and all the fishies are eating well and playing nice.

20210211_083954.jpg 20210216_085136.jpg
looking good!

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the little frag tank on the side. What kind of tank is that ?

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a regular 12"x24" tank drilled for a xaqua inout overflow. It drains into the sump and I have a t fitting with valve to control flow from the return pump.

Funny thing is that I changed the tubing to something stronger, and it ending up leaking, so I removed it for now. I also have a baby now and I'm worried he will eventually or other children visiting my house will put something in that tank. I need to figure out a way to get the tank higher up.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very cool setup :)

SuperDave531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice kit! I have 2 toddlers and everything has to be absolutely locked up, no question. I have a locking carabiner hook to keep my filtration cabinet secure, and I had to use the magnetic child locks for my gear cabinet under my display because they was just a little too much slop for me with a zip tie.

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 month update. I had a special surprise on Saturday. The little purple firefish goby must have jump into the overflow about 6 weeks ago! I looked in there but he must've hidden really well. I was able to get him out safely and I have no doubt he'll be much happier in the display.

I got all my bleach cured live rock into the tank a couple weeks ago. Now I'm realizing that these xr15s are way more powerful than my ai prime hds. I've spread all my lps and softies around the edges and I'll be looking to stock the middle area and big rock in the back with some sps as soon as all the diatoms clear from the sand.

Attachments

• 20210329_183316~2.jpg
    20210329_183316~2.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are figuring out newer and more efficient ways of “trying to pet Nemo.” So my stand looks like this:
14E6122E-77B0-4256-A8CB-D2639120C064.jpeg
That's hilarious! I'll have to remember this idea. My mom told me that when I was a kiddo I poured soap in their fish tank to give the fish a bath. Hopefully my son is smarter than me.

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Special thanks to @Ichtha_yo Stuff for all these awesome new sps frags.

I was able to rent a par meter from a LFS, so that helped me ID some great spots in my tank for sps. I put the strawberry lemonade and walt disney frag right in the front and center. The red planet and anacropora are in the background for some contrast. Then I put the big milka stylo and green cap a good place to create shade. There's also the jedi mind trick, german blue,and sunset monti in some spots that aren't as bright.

So many new frags to stare at for an unhealthy amount of time!

This motivated me to trim down my xenia and hairy green mushroom rocks. They were way over grown. My duncans were also recessed for a couple weeks but they just started coming out again few days ago, so I'm super pumped.
20210419_161039.jpg
20210419_164419.jpg
20210419_164445.jpg

Last edited:

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a very similar tank(Reef Savvy 75 36x24x20 return comes up through the overflow), still building it out, but great inspiration.

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a very similar tank(Reef Savvy 75 36x24x20 return comes up through the overflow), still building it out, but great inspiration.
I appreciate the complement. My tank is the exact same dimensions. I bought mine used and he resealed it so I'm just crossing my fingers for a bit haha. May I ask what your tank costed new? I live 20 minutes from reef savvy so Its a bucket list item.

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine used as well. Never been resealed. Seals are in great condition(original). It's sealed better than a few of my older Oceanics and those have lasted 20+yrs.

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a 3 inch lip on the left and right side of the tank. I really like a clean look, so I cut them off I'll be painting it black but I'm putting acrylic on the sides. It'll only have the 1/8" panels go on the front and sides all the way from the floor to the bottom of the glass.
20210922_084347.jpg
20210922_084406.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arcylic panels came early! Just need a way to help it line up perfect at the edge but I love it. I'm trying out this ezlifego reusable tape to see if it work for taking the front panel on and off. It's way stickier than I anticipated.

Attachments

• 20210926_183237.jpg
    20210926_183237.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 12
Back