Reef Science fair project ideas

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a (mandatory) science fair coming up at my school and I was thinking I'd do something interesting that I like, (which well is this).

The main requirement was that the independent/dependent factors/variables in the experiment have to be numerical (quantifiable), that kinda just rendered my previous ideas null.
I did ave some new ideas like (NO3/PO4 and coral growth [test both low and high nutrients]) (Ca/CO3 and coral growth [like increase to high levels like 490 and 12 or something]) (photo period and coral growth) (pH and coral growth [lower pH]) ?

(also will these be risky in terms of the actual coral's health)

Just wondering if the community here has some ideas they're willing to share :p

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the rules? Our local schools forbid the use of any live animals, including invertebrates. At my work, before we can experiment with animals, we have to first be approved by our institutional animal care and use committee.

Jay

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a (mandatory) science fair coming up at my school and I was thinking I'd do something interesting that I like, (which well is this).

The main requirement was that the independent/dependent factors/variables in the experiment have to be numerical (quantifiable), that kinda just rendered my previous ideas null.
I did ave some new ideas like (NO3/PO4 and coral growth [test both low and high nutrients]) (Ca/CO3 and coral growth [like increase to high levels like 490 and 12 or something]) (photo period and coral growth) (pH and coral growth [lower pH]) ?

(also will these be risky in terms of the actual coral's health)

Just wondering if the community here has some ideas they're willing to share :p
Sounds fun! Almost anything with coral growth will need a lot of time and 2 tanks with the same corals, unless you can provide different environments for each one in the same tank (like feed one, but not the other.) Unfortunately, for most projects about coral you can't do a proper experiment without a least several of the same coral.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the rules? Our local schools forbid the use of any live animals, including invertebrates. At my work, before we can experiment with animals, we have to first be approved by our institutional animal care and use committee.

Jay
Yep, they allow it, I asked.

How long do you have to prepare and do this?

If it is a while, then you might be able to do a coral growth progression.
I think I have until December or January
Sounds fun! Almost anything with coral growth will need a lot of time and 2 tanks with the same corals, unless you can provide different environments for each one in the same tank (like feed one, but not the other.) Unfortunately, for most projects about coral you can't do a proper experiment without a least several of the same coral.
Yea true, I do have spare tanks and equipment lying around so

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it with zoanthids and count polyps, or any coral and just use change in mass.
Could also use lights that have independent channel control and report percent rather than wave length. Could borrow a par meter from your local club (or do the BRS rental thing) and test if par n blue = par n white.

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also use lights that have independent channel control and report percent rather than wave length. Could borrow a par meter from your local club (or do the BRS rental thing) and test if par n blue = par n white.
I currently have radions and a Seneye which could work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back