Reef setup without powerheads

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any builds on here free of powerhead? I'm planning a setup for a rimless long aquarium and trying to see if anyone has had any success with being able to hide all of their equipment using returns and no powerheads. Just want to see what their setup looks like

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want to hide powerheads or not have any at all?

Hidden powerheads become a huge pain when they have to be pulled out to be cleaned.

Consider 2 or 3 return pumps and split each one into 2 heads. I had a 90g tank with one return pump at 900gph and no powerheads. But I wasn't happy with the flow and added powerheads.

20200117_163512.jpg
20200118_160241.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH You are running a closed loop system. This may be @dbleoh7 is looking for

Mine is still in it's infancy as I need to do a little more work and my flow really isn't proven with corals yet, although I seriously don't see any issues. @Scratch08 and @Fin Are good resources as well.

@dbleoh7 what size of tank is this, I might have an Idea that will work really well depending on the size of tank also if you're using sand. If not it might be trickier

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the one I had in my 140. The only hole I drilled was in the back wall for the closed-loop input. The four returns ran off of an OceansMotions 4-way valve and all entered the tank from the top. Two bottom returns were plumbed with black PVC down the back wall (alongside the overflows) and then ran under the sand bed to the two front corners. Those fittings (45 degree) were covered in rock rubble with hot glue and almost completely submerged in the sand bed. These eventually were covered with GSP and other corals. The closed-loop pump was A ReeFlo Dart (old model which I think is now a Snapper or some other name). The upper front returns ran along the inside of the canopy to the front upper corners.

Anyway, here are some pics on how this was set up (tank started in 2006 and ran until I sod it in 2018).

From the top...

ClosedLoop-Top.JPG

Closed loop plumbing ran through the OceansMotions 4-way valve and over the top of the tank.

ReturnHeads7.jpg

Shows all plumbing in the closed-loop. The only thing that was slightly visible was the Omni-Flex nozzles in the upper front corners. The drum inside the 4-way fired two returns at once. LF lower & RF upper and cycled to the opposite side. It ran that way for 14 years.

ReturnHeads4.jpg

This is how I hid the lower front returns. Hot glue and coral rubble.

ReturnHead1a.jpg

After the sand was added.

ReturnHeads5.jpg

This is the only FTS of the tank that I could put my hands on at the moment, but you can see that most of the plumbing is fairly well hidden. That's an MP-40 you see on the back wall not the closed-loop input. The arch hid the large screen on the input.

140-9-29-09.jpg

Anyway, that is how I did mine. Lots of different ways to skin a cat.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the one I had in my 140. The only hole I drilled was in the back wall for the closed-loop input. The four returns ran off of an OceansMotions 4-way valve and all entered the tank from the top. Two bottom returns were plumbed with black PVC down the back wall (alongside the overflows) and then ran under the sand bed to the two front corners. Those fittings (45 degree) were covered in rock rubble with hot glue and almost completely submerged in the sand bed. These eventually were covered with GSP and other corals. The closed-loop pump was A ReeFlo Dart (old model which I think is now a Snapper or some other name). The upper front returns ran along the inside of the canopy to the front upper corners.

Anyway, here are some pics on how this was set up (tank started in 2006 and ran until I sod it in 2018).

From the top...

Closed loop plumbing ran through the OceansMotions 4-way valve and over the top of the tank.

Shows all plumbing in the closed-loop. The only thing that was slightly visible was the Omni-Flex nozzles in the upper front corners. The drum inside the 4-way fired two returns at once. LF lower & RF upper and cycled to the opposite side. It ran that way for 14 years.

This is how I hid the lower front returns. Hot glue and coral rubble.

After the sand was added.

This is the only FTS of the tank that I could put my hands on at the moment, but you can see that most of the plumbing is fairly well hidden. That's an MP-40 you see on the back wall not the closed-loop input. The arch hid the large screen on the input.

Anyway, that is how I did mine. Lots of different ways to skin a cat.
Thanks for showing the setup. I like the returns in the sand for sure. I was thinking of drilling the tank from the bottom and having the returns come from below the tank with check valves to prevent back flow into sump in case of return failure. Also having flow control valves (not sure that's the correct name) in each pipe so I can divert more flow to different returns to alter my flow as needed

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still in it's infancy as I need to do a little more work and my flow really isn't proven with corals yet, although I seriously don't see any issues. @Scratch08 and @Fin Are good resources as well.

@dbleoh7 what size of tank is this, I might have an Idea that will work really well depending on the size of tank also if you're using sand. If not it might be trickier
I'll be working with a smaller tank. I'm thinking either a rimless 36" x 18" x 18" or 36" x 18" x 14" (L x W x H)which is somewhere around 33 - 50 gallons. The light is a single pendant I would hang above. The overflow would be in a corner mostly hidden by Stax rocks so you couldn't see it. I'm thinking of having the bottom drilled and having 3 returns coming from below if that's even doable or safe (I'd have check valves).

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for showing the setup. I like the returns in the sand for sure. I was thinking of drilling the tank from the bottom and having the returns come from below the tank with check valves to prevent back flow into sump in case of return failure. Also having flow control valves (not sure that's the correct name) in each pipe so I can divert more flow to different returns to alter my flow as needed
A closed-loop is a closed system. The water will always be contained in the plumbing, even if power is lost. No need for any backflow prevention.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A closed-loop is a closed system. The water will always be contained in the plumbing, even if power is lost. No need for any backflow prevention.
Oh ok. So you had 1 return from the sump to the tank and 1 return closed loop?

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, you can. Look into using Sea Swirls. Can run one or more off a return pump depending on the size. Can also add random flow nozzles which are really nice. Can also run dual returns with one on each, etc. Even closed loops.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. So you had 1 return from the sump to the tank and 1 return closed loop?
The closed-loop does not involve the sump at all. You are taking water from the tank and returning it to the tank. It does not go to the sump.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can. Look into using Sea Swirls. Can run one or more off a return pump depending on the size. Can also add random flow nozzles which are really nice. Can also run dual returns with one on each, etc. Even closed loops.
Looks like the sea swirls sit on top of the tank though. Since it's rimless I want to be able to look down and not see any equipment. The random flow nozzles definitely look like a good idea

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be working with a smaller tank. I'm thinking either a rimless 36" x 18" x 18" or 36" x 18" x 14" (L x W x H)which is somewhere around 33 - 50 gallons. The light is a single pendant I would hang above. The overflow would be in a corner mostly hidden by Stax rocks so you couldn't see it. I'm thinking of having the bottom drilled and having 3 returns coming from below if that's even doable or safe (I'd have check valves).

As you can see there are numerous options aafoot. My tank has almost exactly what you were thinking of doing and that's a closed loop system with holes coming up from the bottom of the tank with multiple outlets, RFG's, flat and round nozzles. I will say that as of right now it has been a bit of a pain in the neck but once it's all sorted out I'm sure I will still love it. You can see my current plumbing setup below... It is run by dual Ecotech Vectra M2's that I've just got sorted out with mobius.

20200703_211235.jpg

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see there are numerous options aafoot. My tank has almost exactly what you were thinking of doing and that's a closed loop system with holes coming up from the bottom of the tank with multiple outlets, RFG's, flat and round nozzles. I will say that as of right now it has been a bit of a pain in the neck but once it's all sorted out I'm sure I will still love it. You can see my current plumbing setup below... It is run by dual Ecotech Vectra M2's that I've just got sorted out with mobius.

20200703_211235.jpg
This is pretty much spot on to what I was thinking of. So both Vectras are running from the sump and neither are closed loop? How many return nozzles do you have? Any pics of underneath with the pumps and tubing?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much spot on to what I was thinking of. So both Vectras are running from the sump and neither are closed loop? How many return nozzles do you have? Any pics of underneath with the pumps and tubing?

Both Vectras are running as a Closed loop system. The intake which you can see as the white pipe that run horizontally underneath the shelf rock Is centered in the middle of the tank in the bottom. This intake is going to be swapped out for something MUCH less intrusive in the near future.

The Intake is 1 1/2" (Knowing what I know now I probably would have gone with a 2-2 1/2' intake for the volume of water being sucked in). It feeds 4 1" outlets staggered off the corners of the tank and these are all split to 2 3/4" outlets for a total of 8 3/4" outlets.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and enjoy the plumbing pictures :p I highly suggest if you go this route to ensure you are able to center your pumps instead of having to offset them. It definitely adds to the complexity ;Bored
20200808_175912.jpg
20200808_175945.jpg
20200808_175837.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and enjoy the plumbing pictures :p I highly suggest if you go this route to ensure you are able to center your pumps instead of having to offset them. It definitely adds to the complexity ;Bored
20200808_175912.jpg
20200808_175945.jpg
20200808_175837.jpg
Ask to see the sump.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200808_175912.jpg
20200808_175945.jpg
20200808_175837.jpg
Thanks for the pics! I really like this setup. Since my footprint is going to be a smaller tank I'm going to have to make sure there is enough room underneath for a sump plus 1 or 2 closed loop systems like you have. I went through your build thread. Unfortunately I can't have a basement sump like you have haha.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 67 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.3%
Back