Reef Sock Troubles

u1tranova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have had some problems with my "reef socks" clogging up really fast. I have 2 on my main display and they are maybe 10months old. I usually rinse them out every couple months and that solves the problem until they got dirty again I assumed. So I tried to clean them again about a week ago, and they are already backing up and almost overflowing. I guess my question is, are reef socks necessary and if so, how should I clean them, and if I would be better off just buying new ones? Any opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated. I will try to post a pic later if it would help. Thank you

Dustin

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the older they get, the quicker they get dirty especially if rinsing is the only form of cleaning, i have to replace mine in the tank once a week, i have about 7 on hand and rotate through them... sounds like you need to join our BRS group buy and buy some more :)

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have had some problems with my "reef socks" clogging up really fast. I have 2 on my main display and they are maybe 10months old. I usually rinse them out every couple months and that solves the problem until they got dirty again I assumed. So I tried to clean them again about a week ago, and they are already backing up and almost overflowing. I guess my question is, are reef socks necessary and if so, how should I clean them, and if I would be better off just buying new ones? Any opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated. I will try to post a pic later if it would help. Thank you

Dustin

Rinsing once a month is just letting all the tank waste Rot in the filter socks which will cause high Po4 levels and Nitrate in your tank. When using Filter Socks the more often you clean them the better, At least weekly but I do mine every 3-4 days and there is a better way to clean them. I turn them inside out and rinse them as clean as possible then soak them in a mixture of water and bleach, Just enough bleach to get a 20% solution of water to bleach. Then let them soak until they are white again and rinse well with dechlorinator and let them air dry until you can not smell any bleach and they will last a lot longer this way. I have been doing this for years with no ill effects but use lots less socks that i used to throw away when they got like your are getting. JMO
Bill

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing once a month is just letting all the tank waste Rot in the filter socks which will cause high Po4 levels and Nitrate in your tank. When using Filter Socks the more often you clean them the better, At least weekly but I do mine every 3-4 days and there is a better way to clean them. I turn them inside out and rinse them as clean as possible then soak them in a mixture of water and bleach, Just enough bleach to get a 20% solution of water to bleach. Then let them soak until they are white again and rinse well with dechlorinator and let them air dry until you can not smell any bleach and they will last a lot longer this way. I have been doing this for years with no ill effects but use lots less socks that i used to throw away when they got like your are getting. JMO
Bill
+1 Definitely the 20% bleach soak. When I went to a sock Berlin style sump it made me miss the white and blue clearing pad..that was a just cut a new ones one, replace, and throw away the old.

Like Bill, I have 10 on hand. I also tried the Mesh, but found that Mesh was only good if my tank was super clean., and after awhile the tank would dirty up again with a mesh sock because it was not as efficient as a felt sock. this is of course, my experience. Others may have had better results with mesh than I did. I am back to felt now and change every 3-5 days.

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Bill, also, if you don't clean your socks often, you will also have some dissolved organic matter issue...

Boogie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days if I'm lucky. I have 9. Wash them in the steam cycle (sterilize cycle i think is what its actually called). Once with Bleach, once with no bleach. I have to do it on nights the GF isn't home as she doesn't "appreciate" these types of socks in the wash.

OP
OP
u1tranova

u1tranova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice everyone. I really felt like a noob for posting my problem, but I feel better about it now. Hopefully this is the cause of the small rise in nitrate levels I've tested lately because it sounds like an easy fix. I've always been worried about using bleach but I guess I need to drop that fear and try it. Everyone seems to have good results. So 20% bleach and should I use tap water or RO? Thanks

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about bleach. As long as it is rinsed well you shouldn't have any problem. I usually put my socks in the washing machine with bleach and put it on the delicate cycle.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure whatever your bleaching doesnt smell like bleach and you'll be safe as Bill said.

also I don't use filter socks I just syphon out my sump when doin WCs but also I run an algae scrubber. Its an option.

Last edited:

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about bleach. As long as it is rinsed well you shouldn't have any problem. I usually put my socks in the washing machine with bleach and put it on the delicate cycle.
Just to preface the bleach part (and reiterate Bills statement), if you rinse thoroughly and let completely dry (a few days), and it don't smell like bleach, your ok...if it smells like bleach, it was not rinsed good enough. Bill uses a dechlorinator just in case..it's an option, albeit one I don;t use.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll turn my washer on with nothing in it on a short cycle. Then I add the socks, turn it on hot, and a hard spin. No bleach, no soap....just water. rinse in a little RO/DI and done.

findad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use the washer also(the wife loves it) :snicker:, add bleach like normal and select the extra rinse cycle let them air dry for a few days.
No probs so far

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife actually likes it when I wash the socks in there. The washer (and clothes) gets a funky smell if it isn't bleached every so often. I think the manual recommends running a cycle with bleach occasionally.

OP
OP
u1tranova

u1tranova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im buying an extra set of socks tomorrow and will try my first bleach wash with the old ones. Don't upset your wives too much guys...luckily I don't have that dilemma yet. :haha:

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use filter socks I just syphon out my sump when doin WCs but also I run an algae scrubber. Its an option.

This is the same thing i do, unless there is a reason to polish the water. I Thought that if you ran a sock it would harm your pod population, is that true?

OP
OP
u1tranova

u1tranova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what I am concluding from what I've read here is that if I DONT run with the socks, I may have more pod reproduction and more algae growth? Is that why you say you use an algae scrubber? I already use a scrapper every few days, and I did seem to have a larger pod population a few months ago. I may try running without them for a bit, or since I have 2, maybe just run 1 at a time.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back