Reef system dry erase board - game changer!

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently took the time to set up a reef dry erase board, and I’m super excited, so much easier to track things and maintain patterns in reef keeping, anyone have any other suggestions on what to put here?

0ABD3741-4E0A-4765-B7CF-F359A30854BE.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought of doing this. You've motivated me to do it. I don't like the log in Apex. I'll put it next to the water change system in the garage. Will see it every morning going to work.

OP
OP
Z

Zhubbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought of doing this. You've motivated me to do it. I don't like the log in Apex.
So glad! I was hoping I’d motivate someone, because I put it off for so long!!
Only thing it lacks is the long term tracking, but realistically, I think this will suffice for my needs. For now anyway.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Great idea.....but can it track UPS shipments? ;Smuggrin

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You're likely in the US judging by your outlets, why are you tracking thank temp using Centigrade?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 90's!

Lol just teasing.

I only use my dry erase board for sketching a build component or for reef tank grocery list.

I do not like using the dry erase board because you're only tracking the last test and not the trend. I have learned the hard way... if your last test was done incorrectly or you accidentally contaminated your reagents you could inadvertently try to fix an issue that doesn't exist. Furthermore I find that memory is just plain inaccurate and when I think back at a parameter that I thought was fine, it was actually on the low side.

Have you thought about a spreadsheet? A notepad?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not the best for daily parameters. I think it's a great way to keep track of RODI cartridge changes, carbon changes, UV bulb age, start date for a new fish's QT.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dry erase board above the RODI unit to track dates on filters, DI, and membranes. There’s another board to track dates on coral purchases. I also use blue painters tape to mark dates when splitting phytoplankton.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a chalkboard for things we are tracking due to changes. A calendar hangs behind the QT tank and I have an app on my phone for weekly tests, inhabitants, maintenance, lighting schedules, etc.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock it if it works friend. For me I use an Excel spread sheet and make graphs with the data. I track filter changes, livestock additions, and equipment purchases.

Happy reefing!

I think that either MS Excel or Google Sheets is the way to go for collecting data. I don't think the dry erase board methodology will alert you to trends. Trends, especially in water testing data, can be of great use when tweaking doser volume. (That said, I do use MS Notebook for tracking system changes and for upcoming maintenance alerts.)

Back