REEF TANGS! How many tangs do you have in your reef?

How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank?

Votes: 419 25.8%

Votes: 340 20.9%

Votes: 284 17.5%

Votes: 220 13.5%

Votes: 117 7.2%
  • 5+

Votes: 235 14.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 0.6%

• Total voters

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 gallon lagoon (4'x2'), and I used to have two, a two-spot bristletooth and a baby yellow. I recently caught and rehomed my bristletooth (see my build thread for the fish trap video if you're interested) because every since the baby yellow was added about a month ago, the bristletooth has been antagonizing everyone else in the tank. Could I have worked at keeping both of them by trying some more tricks? Possibly. But I didn't feel that it was going to lead to a long, happy life for either of them if I tried to do that, given I have a few other bossy fish in the tank as well (a melanurus wrasse and flame angel).

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I dont have any in my tank now as I only have a 75 gal but I just left my local petco and saw a sailfin that I was tempted to save from being there. Theres been a hippo since before Christmas thats head is slowly getting more damaged and they won't come down on price just to save the fish. I know they get to big for my tank though. Idk if I should just get it and try to rehome to save from the certain death of petco or just let it go..
Its on a store by store basis. Check the panel near the register to make sure firstly that you're talking to the store manager.
Ask them to call corporate to get the discount on the fish with HLLE simply because no one will buy a cosmetically damaged fish for full price; especially when there is no guarantee on their life.
When I lowballed for my tangs I was lucky, the manager had his own SW tank so could understand where I was coming from, and they had a ton of Tangs with HLLE.
They still have two (another sailfin and another hippo tang) that I could probably get but 5 Tangs in a 4' wide 120g may be too many.
Needless to say, I've tried it several times and been successful twice. Being told no is not failure; its just negotiation.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I voted No as my Aquarium is only 123L (32.5gal).

I don’t know of any tangs that are suitable for a tank this size. Although I would like to know if it is possible.

As we’ll, I’d love to know what herbivores I could substitute with.
I really dig my lawnmower Blenny - he chomps down the algae and his antics are hilarious

:

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just got the 2 in my 180. My big chunky sailfin and my slightly smaller, but equally chunky Two Spot Bristletooth.

20220216_144939.jpg

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 tangs (so far) in my 180 gallon:

Sailfin,
Scopas,
Gem,
Yellow Scopas
Naso,
White Tail Bristletooth...

Possible 7th whenever i can find it ... Koi Scopas, with the White and Yellow Morph.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a sucker for tangs. Always have been and always will be. But we are limited in how many and what types we house in our reefs by tanks sizes, other inhabitants etc. But that won't keep us from talking about them today! :)

1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?

2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?

image via @vetteguy53081
tang.jpeg
1. How many tangs (surgeonfish) do you have in your reef tank now?
3 - pair of yellows and a purple
2. What tangs do you have and if you're comfortable with it tell us what size tank you have?
HAHAHAHAHAHHA i was going to say 20 gallons - but no - 5 foot redsea reefer xl 525

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang in my tank for about 4 years. He passed and havent had one since. Great fish spent all day swimming and grazing. I think he was a few years old when I got him. The store I got my tank from had to rehome from a tank tear down. I think I paid $50 for him; prices are insane to replace him now.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had many tangs over the years but I did take some time off from the hobby. Im back in now but haven't set up my qt tank yet. A must for tangs in my opinion

Johra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 - Yellow Tang, Chocolate Tang, Sailfin, all eat about 4 times a day an graze on a variety of algae I provide.

Waterbox 220.6, unfortunately may add one more.. Achilles the three we have are best friends, no attitude or issues ever. They all hang out together and have plenty to eat.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tangs:

blue tang
Yellow tang
Orange shoulder tang
Naso tang

They will move into the new 260 in a few short weeks!

WisReef

Jedi Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One hippo, one powder blue and one yellow tang in my 150 long. :)

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 tomini in a 90g. 10 months in the tank now. Likely to stay that way.

I’d be ashamed to admit how many I had 20 years ago when I started in a 65g then a 55g.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back