Reef tank after-vacation help

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi, so I recently started my saltwater tank but went on vacation for a month. So I moved all my corals and fish to a trusted store for them to look after. I then completely shut off my tank. I am getting back in a few days and wanted to see if anyone had advice on how to deal with whatever I will come back to so I can get my livestock back in the tank. When I left I started to get some hair algae and normal algae so I assume ammonia levels are sky high, water level low, and all parameters screwed. What is a good way to clean my rocks of algae/hair algae, clean sand, glass, and get everything back on track?

Thanks!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first thing that you will need to think about is fumigating the house. If you left a reef tank with stagnant water for a month. I can only image what the die off might smell like. I would not think it would be healthy to breath.

If it's really new tank with dry rock, then you may be ok, but you said you had corals and fish.

How big is tank? What do you mean by turn off? No circulation?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think the first thing that you will need to think about is fumigating the house. If you left a reef tank with stagnant water for a month. I can only image what the die off might smell like. I would not think it would be healthy to breath.

If it's really new tank with dry rock, then you may be ok, but you said you had corals and fish.

How big is tank? What do you mean by turn off? No circulation?
Yeah because I assumed that the water level would drop and then the powerheads would be ruined by not running in water. Its 55 gallons. Its a pretty new tank, had some starter corals and fish not much probably about a month or so of running.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You assumed right. Water would evaporate. From your response you said your power heads in the display would sooner than later be exposed to air and burn up. So I think this means that you do not have a sump. Is this correct?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You assumed right. Water would evaporate. From your response you said your power heads in the display would sooner than later be exposed to air and burn up. So I think this means that you do not have a sump. Is this correct?
Yes. I have a HOB filter and skimmer for now.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Well I have 2 stages of advice for you.

1. Fumigate house when you get there. Open up all windows and invest in a can of lysol. From sounds of it, It will not be too bad if it was dry rock, but just stagnant saltwater is usually foul.

2. Scrub rocks with brush to remove algae.

3. Perform 100% water change and cycle aquarium. If you have sand, this might be a good time to stir it a bit.

Test regularly until Ammonia drops.

4. Perform another 50% water change and let stabilize for week.some turbo start would be your friend.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ok. Well I have 2 stages of advice for you.

1. Fumigate house when you get there. Open up all windows and invest in a can of lysol. From sounds of it, It will not be too bad if it was dry rock, but just stagnant saltwater is usually foul.

2. Scrub rocks with brush to remove algae.

3. Perform 100% water change and cycle aquarium. If you have sand, this might be a good time to stir it a bit.

Test regularly until Ammonia drops.

4. Perform another 50% water change and let stabilize for week.some turbo start would be your friend.
Great thanks so much

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Second set of advice.

If you decide you like reefing and you also enjoy taking vacations as I do. Then you are going to have to make some changes. There are several ways to go, but I'm going to offer you 2 on each side of spectrum.

1. Find a buddy that will come by the house and top off water in your reef and feed fish while you are gone. Basically a fish sitter. It's best to have a reefer buddy than someone who doesn't understand tanks. Work on this and relationship as there is allot of trust here. This is your cheapest option. Usually costs a few beers.

2. This option is going to hurt the pocket. Invest in fully automated system. Invest in aquarium with sump. The sump will allow you to automate everything easier and give you more water volume to work with. Invest in controller, ato system, and automatic feeder. This is a long conversation. I'm just listing the basics. This way you can go on vacation with no worries and sustain your live reef.

Turning off your tank several times a year to go on vacation is not sustainable in this hobby. If this is your only option at the moment, you may want to think this over.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ok. Second set of advice.

If you decide you like reefing and you also enjoy taking vacations as I do. Then you are going to have to make some changes. There are several ways to go, but I'm going to offer you 2 on each side of spectrum.

1. Find a buddy that will come by the house and top off water in your reef and feed fish while you are gone. Basically a fish sitter. It's best to have a reefer buddy than someone who doesn't understand tanks. Work on this and relationship as there is allot of trust here. This is your cheapest option. Usually costs a few beers.

2. This option is going to hurt the pocket. Invest in fully automated system. Invest in aquarium with sump. The sump will allow you to automate everything easier and give you more water volume to work with. Invest in controller, ato system, and automatic feeder. This is a long conversation. I'm just listing the basics. This way you can go on vacation with no worries and sustain your live reef.

Turning off your tank several times a year to go on vacation is not sustainable in this hobby. If this is your only option at the moment, you may want to think this over.
Yeah I know I have to find a better way and the only reason I went with this route was because it was a newer tank and not fully stocked yet. Ill think about what to do.. How much (to the extent of your knowledge) about would a fully automated system cost?
Thanks

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I have Neptune Apex and a custom industrial Solenoid hooked directly to RO/DI unit and sump for auto top off. As well as Neptune auto feeder. This option would not be your most economical.

Just running off the top of my head from all the options I have seen out there. This setup would be on a more high tech scale. It can be done cheaper if you want. But this is what I would plan on as far as balllpark.
1. RODI Unit if you dont have one. $150
2. Controller that allows Remote access. $200
3. Automatic Feeder $45
4. ATO - $100

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Well. I have Neptune Apex and a custom industrial Solenoid hooked directly to RO/DI unit and sump for auto top off. As well as Neptune auto feeder. This option would not be your most economical.

Just running off the top of my head from all the options I have seen out there. This setup would be on a more high tech scale. It can be done cheaper if you want. But this is what I would plan on as far as balllpark.
1. RODI Unit if you dont have one. $150
2. Controller that allows Remote access. $200
3. Automatic Feeder $45
4. ATO - $100
Ill consider that thanks. If I have some specific questions do you mind if I pm you?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @mtraylors advice for when you get home this time. And the fish sitter for the future. It could also be possible to partially automate the system. Then your life is easier when you're home and the fish sitter can do the other things.

Edit: glass or plastic lids will help prevent evaporation, even if you cover a portion of the tank you will still get gas exchange from the filter and the open part of the tank.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sure anytime
Ok so I came home just now. No smell (yayy) glass and water clear as ever and no algae at all. Some clumps of detritus or what I assume is the dead algae on the sandbed which I can clean up with the water pump/substrate cleaner. Less water then I thought evaporated and ill test the water anyways just cause im intrested in the levels. Thanks all and will update!

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ok so I came home just now. No smell (yayy) glass and water clear as ever and no algae at all. Some clumps of detritus or what I assume is the dead algae on the sandbed which I can clean up with the water pump/substrate cleaner. Less water then I thought evaporated and ill test the water anyways just cause im intrested in the levels. Thanks all and will update!
How is the ammonia level at 0? Did the bb "do its work"? Is it worth testing the rest of the parameters to see if the water is usable by chance?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS offers fish tank sitting. I wouldn't trust just anyone but I have gotten to know this guy well so him I would.
Animation is best but can still fail so having some one check on it is nice.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, reefing and vacations don't go together very easily. Even if you have someone feeding your fish, etc., you usually won't be able to relax without thinking about your tank/s. I have five tanks, and the most I can be gone is two days.

That being said, many people do it, but most come home to problems. Algae can be dealt with by cleaning the tank with a brush and siphoning out the water. Change all of the water, it won't affect your cycle. Do not add livestock back in until the tank is stable. You will want a long term plan if vacations are important to you. Good luck, and Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Unfortunately, reefing and vacations don't go together very easily. Even if you have someone feeding your fish, etc., you usually won't be able to relax without thinking about your tank/s. I have five tanks, and the most I can be gone is two days.

That being said, many people do it, but most come home to problems. Algae can be dealt with by cleaning the tank with a brush and siphoning out the water. Change all of the water, it won't affect your cycle. Do not add livestock back in until the tank is stable. You will want a long term plan if vacations are important to you. Good luck, and Happy Reefing!
Yeah I will definitely invest in getting a good system for vacation. So you are saying to throw all the water away? I am fine with doing so and think it might be for the best but it's like 50g of water so is it worth testing and seeing if it's usable? Thanks!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will definitely invest in getting a good system for vacation. So you are saying to throw all the water away? I am fine with doing so and think it might be for the best but it's like 50g of water so is it worth testing and seeing if it's usable? Thanks!
If the tank was sitting stagnant for a month I would do a 100% water change, if possible. It doesn't have to be done all at once, but I would keep changing it until it is all new water. You can test if you want though, no harm in that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back