Reef tank cycled? never seen Ammonia spike

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 75g 4 weeks ago with wet rock I picked up from a reefer abt 8 moths ago and had it in a bucket of water with pump but no heater ever since. Then added the sponge and filter floss from my 30 gallon established tank back in forth for abt 3 weeks added 2 Molly’s 2 weeks ago. Ive been testing for 2 weeks and never seen an Ammonia or Nitrite spike. I wanted to know if I’m good move fish over to new tank or give it more time?

58137449-FC56-4B80-8295-735261A64830.jpeg 2B383CA5-69DB-4FFF-9A93-CCBE5F578E0E.jpeg

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’re good from here.
Even tho I never witnessed or seen ammonia or nitrites on my test? I’ve ghost feed added 2 Molly’s and never seen the spikes

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, your done. Using rock from your friend that you kept in water kept your bacteria alive.

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, your done. Using rock from your friend that you kept in water kept your bacteria alive.
I’m just surprised I’ve kept it in a bin for abt 8 months with no heater just a pump thought the bacteria would die off from no feeding or from the cold. The bin was inside my house I’m in Cali so the coldest it gets in the home maybe 50*F

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they live as long as there's water. in fact that's all that's needed to cycle up a system, water and eight weeks wait. all the extra stuff from live rock was redundant.

lol earlier I got a call at work rightwhen I saw this thread so inb4 stallers he he only had time for one word

nice unison skip cycle call. cycle=skipped. you could have moved all that to a new home, or to a reef convention and back again over and over.

benefit of owning already cycled rocks, and keeping them wet.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see how badly this hobby needs cycling info that is relative to the actual environment vs add dead shrimp, wait 30 days or 100 if you're on api…

Matched to your unique presentation the reef was cycled a month ago, and still is, and will be no matter what you do within reason.

we would specifically not cause an ammonia spike here nor expect one, how come no books, articles or entries tell us this

= worldwide bottle bac sales conspiracy

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skip cycling is the antithesis to bottle bac sales. It has been a joy aiming these mutually exclusive concepts at one another for twenty years online, I know the sellers read this stuff occasionally.

they're still winning by a mile though. we get nothing in writing, the concept is merely whispers at reefcentral and full steam here but its a world of web nerds practice, no formal acceptance

yet

I officially call/demand macna produce a speaker on skip cycling, the kind that needs no retail buy.

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skip cycling is the antithesis to bottle bac sales. It has been a joy aiming these mutually exclusive concepts at one another for twenty years online, I know the sellers read this stuff occasionally.

they're still winning by a mile though. we get nothing in writing, the concept is merely whispers at reefcentral and full steam here but its a world of web nerds practice, no formal acceptance

yet

I officially call/demand macna produce a speaker on skip cycling, the kind that needs no retail buy.
True, i thought about buying the products online after doing research on what most ppl do to cycle tanks, and then researched which is best one to use was just overwhelming YouTube vids but decided to try another route

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this technique is literally isolated from our training.

consider this: every aquarium convention ever made, from macna to aquashella to reefstock/decade after decade all do what you did in booths that then sell products meant to unstall cycles

is that funny :)

they don't need the product to actually set up shop, though, that's key.

for dry rock starts we all know bottle bac is used, but very few know that live rocks just don't need any help. enough we can assemble a hundred reefs off the technique. that is done right here:

your reef belongs in there. that's what kind of cycle it is.

even youtube and the forums mainly will not practice skip cycling.

the biggest sales driver in unneeded bottle bac is our own peers, its always recommended just in case. we will never need it when dealing in live cured aquarium rocks. handy dandy

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back