Reef Tank Dynamics

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So through the years of maintaining hundreds of tanks one thing that always gets me is how EVERY SINGLE TANK is different.

I have setup tanks side by side everything the same and one grows and does better than the other. It is just a reminder that each box is its own environment. Even if you link the tanks I have had varying results.

I think this is one of the most important concepts to learn and remember in reef keeping. Forums are a great source of information and general concepts do work but in the end the hobbyists needs to practice critical thinking skills to analyze their own tank. This comes with learning the basics about aquarium husbandry. I see too many beginners who jump in and do not actually learn what they read. They follow a step by step but do not understand what is actually happening, Learning what requirements are needed and working backwards from there to find out what is missing or messed up is how I trouble shoot most tank problems.

What works in one doesn't work in another all the time.. This is what leads to alot of fights on forums. A member insisting their way is the only way. Not true.

It is amazing how many things are going on in our boxes of water

- Chemical reactions
- Water movement
- Oxygen levels
- Allelopathy
- Chemical Warfare
- Aggression from fish
- Parasites, Bacteria, Fungi
- Nutrient import and export ( Biologically Chemically, and Mechanically)
- Light Spectrums
- Temperature
- Noise
- Stray Voltage
- Varying Salt Mixes
- Trace Elements most we can't test for
- CO2 Levels

It is amazing we are able to achieve so much in our tanks with so much going on and so much we can't really test for.

Back