Reef tank essentials

Reefkeeper14

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2011
Messages
203
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought id ask all of you what you guys would consider to be the essantials to starting a reef aquarium, lights, skimmer, reactor ,ats ,etc and so on. Also post the brand of the item you believe to be essantial if you think that brand makes the best.
 
Well the tank first of all, a good top off, great skimmer, RoDi Unit and decent lighting. The rest can be done later but that list comprises what I think is most essential and the items I would ALWAYS want to have when starting a tank.
 
As far as essentials go I would list the following:
A sturdy tank with good silicone
A sump that is 35% or larger of your display tank
A protein skimmer that is at least as good as a reef octopus
A heater with digital control and probe
Thermometer
Return Pump
Powerheads
Lights that are appropriate for what you want to grow
Rock
Sand
Algae scraper for glass
screen top if you want wrasses and/or gobies

I'm probably forgetting something....
 
Mallorie kind of got it all.. but above all that patience.. patience is a must good things never happen fast in this hobby/passion of ours.
 
RO/DI. Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything depends on its quality.
 
RO/DI. Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything depends on its quality.
Ditto. I'd recommend getting this up and running before you even start setting up the tank. Buy extra DI resin. Make sure you can get to the DI reservoir easily since it needs the most changing.

Lighting depends on what you plan on putting in it, but I wouldn't mess with any lighting that is not for reefs (High output T5 or better).
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new