REEF TANK = NEVER ENJOY A VACATION AGAIN???

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We went out of state this weekend, for Easter. Water change, check. skimmer cup cleaned, check. ATO filled up, check. What could go wrong? Certainly not another heater malfunction. Thanks to Inkbird and my neighbor, I already averted that crisis. I asked the same neighbor to stop by once on Saturday and once on Sunday for a quick feeding, as I would return Sunday evening. Well, this morning I got a phone call around 11am. He had been trying to call me since 9, but I had my ringer turned off. Apparently my ATO stopped working and my return pump was running dry. Thankfully he knows enough about my setup and was able to scoop some water from the ATO res to fill up my return chamber. Everything is good now, right? WRONG! I started dosing kalk through my ATO a few weeks ago...panic mode! At this point, he is out of town doing the Easter thing. I'm in the middle of Iowa, doing the Easter thing / reef tank, freak-out. Well, I made it home a couple hours ago. Return chamber almost dry again, bubbles in the dt. Everything still alive and thriving, but dang! I did install a pH controller when I starting dosing kalk and it was turned off. It's the Milwaukee mc122 with the giant, red power button on the front...and it was switched to off. I'm to the point where I'm either giving up on vacations or reef tanks. (Vacations) It seems no matter how much planning goes into my out of town trips, something always goes wrong! It's like, if Charlie brown set up a reef tank.

20210404_203843.jpg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATO you use? I'd never leave town unless I was running the Tunze 3155

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are wiser for the experience!

You will be able to go on vacation again because of an inexpensive Wyze internet wireless camera and an Neptune Apex System. Little bit of an investment with the Apex but incredible peace of mind when you are away and instant notification if something goes wrong.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In 17yrs of reefing, the absolute best thing I've ever bought....hands down

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are wiser for the experience!

You will be able to go on vacation again because of an inexpensive Wyze internet wireless camera and an Neptune Apex System. Little bit of an investment with the Apex but incredible peace of mind when you are away and instant notification if something goes wrong.
I'm not knocking Apex, I know it would be a good investment, as I already have a Seneye. But the day they make a little, Italian plumber wearing a red hat that jumps out and fixes leaks and plugs in ATOs and stuff...I will buy one that day!

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not knocking Apex, I know it would be a good investment, as I already have a Seneye. But the day they make a little, Italian plumber wearing a red hat that jumps out and fixes leaks and plugs in ATOs and stuff...I will buy one that day!
Gonna look into that camera though!

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank only needed a friend or relative to come over 2x a day, get a zip lock bag out of the freezer and dump the contents in the tank. The rest can take care of it's self for a week without issue if you build with a vacation in mind.
someone had to come over "only" twice a day??

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My last tank only needed a friend or relative to come over 2x a day, get a zip lock bag out of the freezer and dump the contents in the tank. The rest can take care of it's self for a week without issue if you build with a

There were already there 2x a day to feed my cats so they are coming 2x a day with or without fish. Plus I have several family members less than 2 miles away.
Technically I could have put my auto feeder on the tank and it will run itself for 5-7 days depending on evaporation. It does so all the time. It's only when I go out of town it seems something always happens. An Apex would not have fixed my broken heater last Christmas! But yes, it is nice having someone to count on in an emergency!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two considerations

1) How much do you have invested in your livestock?

2) How worried are you going to be next time you leave your aquarium for a vacation? Will you lose sleep?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point I'm way more invested in equipment than livestock, however I do not consider my fish expendable. They are an emotional investment. And yes, I will most likely lose sleep worrying. Especially after this incident! Apex will be my next big investment but I'm probably already 8 g's and 16 months into this 40 breeder so according to my gf I'm not allowed anymore big purchases this year! Haha yeah right!

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex I use the Apex Auto feeder when I leave town and I use the Apex ATK and i dose with the DOS. But I also have redundant backups.
1. I have a mechanical ATO that use siphon nothing electrical No sensors.
2. I have multiple heaters not just one but 3 total.

I love the ability to look at my phone and see things are running smooth.

That all being said it also seems that either you have a lot of evaporation maybe need to cover something. Or you have a very small sump with a very small return chamber if your running dry that fast. I could have No topoff at all for at least a week before water level would be a problem at the return pump. Now salinity would go up which I would see on my Apex but I would have water circulating.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an Apex I use the Apex Auto feeder when I leave town and I use the Apex ATK and i dose with the DOS. But I also have redundant backups.
1. I have a mechanical ATO that use siphon nothing electrical No sensors.
2. I have multiple heaters not just one but 3 total.

I love the ability to look at my phone and see things are running smooth.

That all being said it also seems that either you have a lot of evaporation maybe need to cover something. Or you have a very small sump with a very small return chamber if your running dry that fast. I could have No topoff at all for at least a week before water level would be a problem at the return pump. Now salinity would go up which I would see on my Apex but I would have water circulating.
I'm running a trigger saphire 34 on my 40b...decent size return chamber, way overkill for my tank size! Literally 1/4" clearance both front to back and side to side of my stand, but that's another issue entirely! On average, 5g will last about 5-7 days on my tank. I keep tons of flow in my sump, except for the middle section with my bio media. I agree with u, I should get some covers on that thing! I'm sucking air within a half a day of my ATO loosing power. ie: forgot to plug back in after wc

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you have to go through that. It’s a very frustrating part about this hobby. I have an apex with a trident and a system that I rarely have to touch, even when I am home, but It’s really been hitting me lately about how locked in I am at home with this hobby. I’d love to travel for extended periods and work from other cities but it’s so tough to trust being away from my tank.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in your boat as I'm scared as heck. I got a texas 10 day trip coming up in may. Fish don't eat pellets. So combo of my father, co worker and friend splitting the days. They gotta feed tank 3 times a day and swap filter sock and dose my zeo stuff every day.

I'm in full panic mode

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will do fine for a week plus being fed once daily or even every other day or so. No need to worry about getting someone to stop over multiple times per day in my opinion. Buy a camera, and have someone stop by every other day and enjoy your vacation.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back