Reef Tank update: Day 12

Maiciegrassmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! I posted not long ago about my new nano reef set up, but I’ll post details below again.

- Waterbox AIO 20 cube
- Aquatop 100w titanium heater (set to 81°; heard warmer temps all an help in the cycle)
- Original return pump
- Ordered InTank chamber one media basket, but it didn’t fit so I put the original filter sock back in
- Carib sea Fiji Pink live sand
- Carib Sea life rock
- AI Prime 16HD light
- chamber 2 has the original ceramic media included, opted for Chemipure Elite instead of included carbon, and only using one filter sponge on top of those so I could fit the heater in chamber 2
- Adding microbactor7 every morning
- No lights running except to snap a photo

I picked up an API test kit and will be checking parameters tonight when I get home from work and also visiting a LFS in Houston this weekend and will have them test too.

Alright so here are my update/questions as I approach my second week completion.

1. I keep hearing tons of mixed reviews on using media while in the cycle process; what are yalls thoughts?

2. What are y’all’s recommendations for heat temperature while cycling?

3. Should my tank still look as clean? I still have no signs of any algae or the typical “ugly stage” a lot of people talk about happening in week two.

4. I am very patient and in no rush to get livestock or coral until my tank is completely ready, so any advice on what I can do to be proactive during the cycling process. I.e. testing more often, adding an auto top off, just anything really to make sure I’m doing everything correctly.

5. I’m very OCD so I’ve been using the magnetic algae scraper every day to wipe any smudges off of the glass inside and out. Is that beneficial or should I just let it go?

I’m sure there’s more questions I can think of but I think that’s plenty for now! Thanks in advance for all the help! I’m sure all you reefers know the struggles and I’m just trying to fit in with this community and learn all I can!

IMG_0766.jpeg IMG_0770.jpeg IMG_0771.jpeg IMG_0772.jpeg

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things.
Cool aquascape, interested to see what type of livestock you want to put in it.

- Beyond the microbacter, is there any other bacteria you have added to the tank to start the cycle? Live rock? Ghost feeding? etc?
- Personally I used media while cycling, I don't recall any ill effects.
- Your temp is fine, just keep it constant, I have kept mine at 78-79 since I started.
- You say day 12, but do you mean since you've filled it or started?
- Regarding the intank basket not fitting, you have to remove the two glass ledges in waterboxes to make the basket fit.

Other people can chime in that are more experienced :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On media - anything that you do to interrupt the biology that needs to happen in the tank will cost you a few times over in the future. Let the tank do it's thing and do not interrupt it.

I keep my tanks at 74-75 anymore. I used to be a firm 78 guy, but this has saved me about $60 a month in heating costs and nothing seems to care. Plus, snails are more active and work harder. Anything from 72-78 is going to work fine.

Ugly stage is coming. Don't worry about this. Each tank moves at it's own pace... kinda a parent who is SO proud that their kid is talking, walking or ding math before all the others - that kid can still end up being a moron or unathletic.

For trying to help the cycle, there is not much that you can do. The less that you do the better. Nature has figured this out and you will not be as good at it.

Clean the glass as much as you want.

If you want to document all of this in a single place, start a build thread.

In general, if you are day 12 and your ammonia is near zero, you are likely fine to add a few fish. Your tank will not be truly cycled, as in done, for many more months, but it should be able to handle a small and smart amount of fish waste and you can enjoy the tank and progress along with it. Since the tank is not cycled (as in done) it won't be able to handle a large influx of inhabitants nor a dynamic event, so just go really slow and be smart. I would not test for nitrite or nitrate until the algae has come for a month or two - it doesn't matter until then.

OP
OP
Maiciegrassmuck

Maiciegrassmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things.
Cool aquascape, interested to see what type of livestock you want to put in it.

- Beyond the microbacter, is there any other bacteria you have added to the tank to start the cycle? Live rock? Ghost feeding? etc?
- Personally I used media while cycling, I don't recall any ill effects.
- Your temp is fine, just keep it constant, I have kept mine at 78-79 since I started.
- You say day 12, but do you mean since you've filled it or started?
- Regarding the intank basket not fitting, you have to remove the two glass ledges in waterboxes to make the basket fit.

Other people can chime in that are more experienced :)
Probably just since I’m beginning I’ll start out with a pair of clown, fish, and softies and then branch out as I get more knowledgeable.
Outside of the microbactor, nothing other than the live sand unrinsed. The rock I got was dry life Rock, so not live. I did hear a ghost feeding will help. I’m just not sure how to go about that or what to get I guess now is the perfect time to figure that out since I’ll be making a trip to the store Sunday. as for the 12th day, yes, I should’ve clarified but it’s been 12 days since I filled the tank I guess not 12 days cycling.

Definitely interested in hearing what others have to say about making that basket fit because I’m sitting here with two and planned on returning them but I guess I shall wait to see if I can make that fit first because I’d definitely like to use it

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - that ceramic media will house biological filtration and bacteria. The chemipure is chemical - you might never need this at all. Chemipure elite also has GFO in it and I doubt that you want to remove po4 this early in the ecosystem development when things might need it... or the activated carbon can also bind organics like bacteria like you are wanting to develop. I would not use the Chemipure right not, if not ever.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just since I’m beginning I’ll start out with a pair of clown, fish, and softies and then branch out as I get more knowledgeable.
Outside of the microbactor, nothing other than the live sand unrinsed. The rock I got was dry life Rock, so not live. I did hear a ghost feeding will help. I’m just not sure how to go about that or what to get I guess now is the perfect time to figure that out since I’ll be making a trip to the store Sunday. as for the 12th day, yes, I should’ve clarified but it’s been 12 days since I filled the tank I guess not 12 days cycling.

Definitely interested in hearing what others have to say about making that basket fit because I’m sitting here with two and planned on returning them but I guess I shall wait to see if I can make that fit first because I’d definitely like to use it
I had a Duncan as one of my first. Easy and hardy lps, and it looks very “coral ly “ Toadstool leather great and I still have a couple in the tank. Maybe a Mushroom or two. Lots of options for coral. Don’t feel too limited.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

regarding the sock filter.
Assuming this is what you bought: https://intankaquatics.com/intank-c...rbox-marine-x-waterbox-peninsula/#description
read through the installation steps!

1697122240335.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my answers:
1-I don't use media, don't need it
2-I maintain the same temp on my tanks, 77-78, wether cycling or not.
3-Since you mention you keep the lights off, algae won't grow. The so-called "ugly stage" will start when you turn the lights on
4-best proactive thing to do is research. Don't touch the tank.
5-Its up to you, I clean it off only once week cause it sends my fish into hiding for the rest of the day, and I don't like messing with the tank at night.

As you may sense from my answers, I embrace the KISS method.

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your setup! I too have a Waterbox 20. I've had it up and running since April (7 months). I can't provide any advice on the cycle as I used Tampa Bay Live Rock and sand. I had a die off and that was about it. Nonetheless, I started very slow and still move slow today.

#2 - I keep my tank always at 78 degrees
#3 - Go on Youtube and watch some of the BRS cycling videos. It's going to get very ugly eventually. Don't be alarmed as it does not mean you are doing anything wrong. Your eco system needs to find its balance.
#4 - I think you should get an ATO immediately. I've found that it is almost impossible to keep consistent SG in only 20 gallons of water without one. You could add a clownfish in a couple of weeks. I would resist adding corals for a few months at least. When you do, I would consider some zoas. I have the same light that you have and my zoa's are insane.
#5 - Never ever use metal blades to clean algae on a Waterbox. It will scratch even if you are very careful. I prefer the Tunze magnetic scraper. It doesn't float so buy yourself some grabbers.

I need to update my build thread but feel free to ping me with any questions. I find that the nanos are in the minority here!

Here is a shot of my WB20 that I just took for this response. So this is basically 7 months in. The SPS corals are about 3 months old. That huge ball of zoas started out as 2 polyp frag about 6 months ago. They're Kung Fu zoas from Tidal gardens. It goes without saying that I have no idea how to take a good photo with an iPhone!

IMG_4455.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back