OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much :) I already like it a lot here! I've been on other aquarium based forums and not gotten half the welcome nor half the good advice in twice the time, ha, ha.

I do hate to start posting a build thread yet because it will literally be months before I actually get the thing paid for and home. I may just hang out and ask questions until I'm closer to the day I bring it home. I am also remodelling my living room to accommodate the aquarium and two small kittens. That may be a sign that I have an addiction...

Thanks again!!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty 0f people start their build threads before they even have their tanks - me being one of them. :) You can see what I mean by following the link in my signature for the 125 Reef Savvy. It is a good way to get feedback on what they want to do. Posting here has already helped you to decide to get a different tank.

Is this the sump that you got? I just Googled the model number and this is what I found, made by Aquarium Life Support Systems.

AL3457.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty 0f people start their build threads before they even have their tanks - me being one of them. :) You can see what I mean by following the link in my signature for the 125 Reef Savvy. It is a good way to get feedback on what they want to do. Posting here has already helped you to decide to get a different tank.

Is this the sump that you got? I just Googled the model number and this is what I found, made by Aquarium Life Support Systems.

AL3457.jpg

Yes, that's the one :)
The pump that comes with my setup is the Syncra 2.0 (7.9 Head 568 gph) Not sure what the 7.9Head part means...mm maybe??

Check out your local Reef club!

@CastAway
@cale0721 @Chriscrna @BlueDevil

Great idea! I'm in a relatively metropolitan area that supports two large aquarium stores--one of which is saltwater only--so I'd say there is probably a local club!

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the hobby! This the best place to gather all the info you need while you plan your setup. The folks across the entire site are most helpful so don't hesitate to ask all the questions you ever have!
Also, what part of East TN are you in? We have a local club in Knoxville with plenty of knowledgeable folks and meet once a month at a members house to check out their setups and just chit chat about the hobby and whatever else! It is a great opportunity to have some face to face discussions with folks in the hobby and exchange info on things that work/don't work. If interested check out the local forums and say hello! [emoji4]

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the hobby! This the best place to gather all the info you need while you plan your setup. The folks across the entire site are most helpful so don't hesitate to ask all the questions you ever have!
Also, what part of East TN are you in? We have a local club in Knoxville with plenty of knowledgeable folks and meet once a month at a members house to check out their setups and just chit chat about the hobby and whatever else! It is a great opportunity to have some face to face discussions with folks in the hobby and exchange info on things that work/don't work. If interested check out the local forums and say hello! [emoji4]

Thank you! I'm actually in northeast Knox county so very close :) I would love to meet others in the hobby. I'll check the forums out!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a massive amount by reading some of the articles already referenced in this thread. I also am a big fan of the BRS 160 video series, which is packed with info.

P.S. My daughter starts her 1st job as an RN in two months. Now I just have to get her into reefing :)

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've already devoured the articles mentioned above, lol, plus lots of online videos and I may or may not have cleaned out the local used books store! I'll definitely look up the BRS 160 videos!

Tell your daughter to hang on for the ride! I've never regretted becoming a nurse. It's my second career and one that I'm very passionate about doing well. The trick, tell her, is to find an area of nursing that she loves and never settle for a workplace, a boss or a specialty that she is unhappy in. Nurses do some of the hardest and most stressful work there is. If you aren't happy and are always stressed out then you are doing bad things to your body and your spirit and not doing your coworkers and patients any good either. I hung on way too long at my first job. I kept trying to make it better at that facility. (I'm a little stubborn that way, lol!) I could have kicked myself later though when I found a wonderful home and realized how miserable I had been at the old one! Tell her good luck!!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Scrappy!

I consider this one to be a GREAT resource.
e37e040df2f71c0396c0ab0660aef5bc.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :)

I just ordered The Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder Vol 1 & 2 by M. Moe (forward by Julian Sprung) from Amazon last night. Your recommendation will be next up!! I'm an avid reader so it shouldn't be too long before I need it :D

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some may laugh, but for setting up a first reef, this "coffee table" book is incredible in my opinion. Simple and contemporary. Heck, I'll loan it to you! Just PM.
923fc07544369a043638f7c0ac3a67aa.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be wonderful! Now for this not very up-to-date old woman.....gotta figure out how to PM....lol!

And nothing wrong with coffee table books. They have the best pictures!! And even books that may have some obsolete technical information can still have great info on things that don't change over time!

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Scrappy! You're starting one heck of an adventure. Following your build and looking forward to seeing it come alive. Don't hesitate to ask us anything.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back