OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure, I have littered the place with videos mine host from the tube. I bet vimeo would work too, any common site for vids.

on one of your test rock areas, don't scrape any, just wet it with peroxide and let sit 4 mins, rinse off, and leave the algae in place to be worked solely by the peroxide. one spot is harsh rasp and peroxide, other spot is just peroxide.

Doing all your rocks at once will not hurt, but until we know which method gets the least growback its better to wait a bit for the test rocks to indicate best move. I need this pics thanks tons. They will also be linked to tank reword threads at nano-reef.com

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m sad and I feel like NASA trying to launch a test capsule on a particular day for the right weather or when the allied forces were trying to get the correct and most effective day to storm Normandy but now here this, because every time I water change I scrub the test rock i would like to test on, there’s not enough grown to produce enough data for the results we are trying to find with both methods of the peroxide treatment so with all the strength I have in me I’m going to hold off a few days. I know it’s a sure thing that it will grow back because it always does. I’m sorry if I got your hopes up. I will come through though. This will be fun and with all I have read from you Brandon this will work out in my favor and the favor of my eyes.

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!! [emoji57] my apologies with grammar and spelling. It’s not my forte. I’m a teacher, but not an English teacher.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on what you said. You are acting early enough that there's not much test surface. Let's do your whole tank really then. Rasp and peroxide what you can, burn it good. No harm to filtration bacteria sets open boundaries. I think only small grow backs might occur, not large scale if we have a clean sandbed/cloudless.

Either way it won't be waste of time the peroxide will extend time before growback and we often get really lucky, a good while till mass growback.

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say whole are you meaning dosing or are you just referring to eventually treating each problem area. Also I’m confused how we are going to do the sand. Will I remove which I’m not supposed to because it’s a shallow bed and definitely a after thought after 3 months

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends how much work you want to do. I personally would never consider a tank restored if the sandbed clouds if you grab some, and drop it back down. Most do that clouding, bc the keeper was hands-off on the bed over the last several mos and its time to clean them thoroughly.

in that case, you'd hold out fish and corals in a bucket of tank water you siphoned off, leaving now only rocks, water and sand in the system.

you'd take out all rocks, set on counter, and scrub using a knife, not a brush, debride, and peroxide as a good 5 min burn before rinsing and setting those rocks aside for re use.

the sand would be all at once taken out and either rinsed, until cloudless, or replaced and that sand would be rinsed before installation. no cloud is the # 1 rule to a true fix.

refill the tank with half old tank water, half new, put stuff back in all set.

If the bed portion is too much work, then just do the rocks portion of those steps, its all external work on rocks you took out of the tank. if a swirling mess of detritus is up under them as you lift them out, that signals bed cleaning time again to me.

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not against the work and I actually have back up sand that i recently learned how to rinse better with a pillow case. Only con is that I would rinse with tap water to get the full effect so obviously some bad effects there because I’m not sure if tap water imports the algae or just the nutrients

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its harmless to use tap on either living or dry sand we show why in the sand rinse thread. clearly we don't put wet tap sand back in the tank, its pre washed finally with saltwater before use. replacing the bed with fully rinsed new sand is ideal.

don't use the pillow case just straight rinse. if you really did fix up that bed I bet your back wall growths would lessen. the pillow case restricts some of the properties of open rinsing that remove organics and silt.

I feel confident that in delaying just to a minor degree, a couple rounds might be needed on the rocks but you are still acting quick enough that first treatment will really turn them around.

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew ok. We are going to beat this thing and I hope I can document it well enough for this to pay it forward beyond my tank. Merry Christmas!!

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure Merry Christmas we're blessed yes for sure.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following .. glad I read this post , some really good info .. I’ve been dosing peroxide in my tank for last 2 months as a battle against Dino’s .. I have just been dosing 2x9ml each day on a 90g .. but I’ve also been adding bacteria once a week as well .. my Dino’s have gone and my little bit of hair algae has gone too .. but my buble algae is getting a hold .. I’ve seen no ill effects on my tank ..
B57205F9-9C1E-4991-A538-AC22468B2B06.jpeg

462DE48A-5410-4B00-BE88-7C3BA7BD8901.jpeg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, wow that's shocking thank you so much for that. I have reef envy

look at the coralline and deep coloration that was preserved, homerun

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, wow that's shocking thank you so much for that. I have reef envy

look at the coralline and deep coloration that was preserved, homerun

Thank you sir !!
But after reading your post , I’m amazed it worked .. all I was doing was dumping 9ml in the morning and 9 ml at night after lights out ... I was also doing a small wc everyday while syphoning as much of the Dino’s out as possible .. I also turned down my white light and shortened the time as well ( so I got that right ) I’ve not had too do the 3 day lights out either .. I must have the luck of the Irish ☘️ on my side I guess !!

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir !!
But after reading your post , I’m amazed it worked .. all I was doing was dumping 9ml in the morning and 9 ml at night after lights out ... I was also doing a small wc everyday while syphoning as much of the Dino’s out as possible .. I also turned down my white light and shortened the time as well ( so I got that right ) I’ve not had too do the 3 day lights out either .. I must have the luck of the Irish ☘️ on my side I guess !!

Any shrimp In your livestock?

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
678c737901560a8d30be82b53ea06887.jpg
16416db824fb7ca11bfa00220db6f49e.jpg
so this was before and during a bath of only 3% hydrogen peroxide, it killed the stars and spaghetti worm, plus algae but feather dusters, purple algae, and GsP all alive. Oh and since this I’ve dosed about 3ml this morning in which I noticed all my Coral’s which include zoa, candy chance, favia, stylophora, and some mushrooms kind of ticked but all came back to happiness a few hours later. My tank includes a skarlet skunk who’s still living. The algae defiantly took some damage.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips indeed are full coverage options that's for sure. Sprays and mists will allow those benthic creatures to survive if the invasion was just topical

But for rooted serious invasions, agreed dips inundate the entire rock at the loss of pods etc, same as if it was a big freshwater dip. Those were cool red variety I only have the whiter ones wish I had those red stars

yuppyguy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips indeed are full coverage options that's for sure. Sprays and mists will allow those benthic creatures to survive if the invasion was just topical

But for rooted serious invasions, agreed dips inundate the entire rock at the loss of pods etc, same as if it was a big freshwater dip. Those were cool red variety I only have the whiter ones wish I had those red stars

I think i started out with 2 and now I have hundreds. If you were close I’d give you that rock because it has new tenants.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back