Reefapalooza Texas Oct 7-8

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am looking forward to the show. My tank is full so I have to choose new pieces carefully, much easier to do when you can see corals in person rather than through photoshop filters. I’m hoping to score another Goni or two and maybe a higher end torch. I also want an orange hammer but that is really hard to judge in online pics.
I hope you have better luck than me. I've got 2 hammers that I bought locally that were orange and cost $150/head. I saw them in person so I know they were orange. They slowly lost a lot of the orange color in my tank. They are healthy because I have probably 70 heads now but just not the same color as when I bought them. For some reason I can't keep nitrates in my tank so that may be the issue.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am looking forward to the show. My tank is full so I have to choose new pieces carefully, much easier to do when you can see corals in person rather than through photoshop filters. I’m hoping to score another Goni or two and maybe a higher end torch. I also want an orange hammer but that is really hard to judge in online pics.
Check out zooanthids.com for his Goni's. He has a good selection. If you see one you like just IM Brandon and I'm sure he will make sure he brings it to the show.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out zooanthids.com for his Goni's. He has a good selection. If you see one you like just IM Brandon and I'm sure he will make sure he brings it to the show.

I've bought a few things from them which were pretty nice and as advertised. I talked to him for a while at RAP last year and he seemed like a good guy, very willing to give advice/suggestions on coral care.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a few things from them which were pretty nice and as advertised. I talked to him for a while at RAP last year and he seemed like a good guy, very willing to give advice/suggestions on coral care.
Brandon is great. 10 to 15 years ago he actually came to several of the small swaps in Dallas, including the club held ones. I think he just sticks to the big ones now. I'm sure he hates to see me coming, I will bother him for hours if he isn't busy.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What day is everyone thinking of going? I am a little concerned if I go on Sunday, if any vendors will leave before the day before. The turnout was pretty poor last year and I imagine it being worse. People were already packing early last year.

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my 1st trade show and have a question or two.

Will vendors expect you to pick up your coral at the time of purchase, or will they hold it for you until later in the day?

Don't have a cooler on wheels and didn't want to have to lug everything around while still shopping.

I'll be driving up from San Marcos on Saturday.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will vendors expect you to pick up your coral at the time of purchase, or will they hold it for you until later in the day?

Don't have a cooler on wheels and didn't want to have to lug everything around while still shopping.

most will hold, I would definitely take pictures of everything you buy if you do it that way.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always bring an insulated lunchbox type cooler for the shows. I keep a bigger one in the car in case I fill up the regular cooler. Unless you are buying colonies most stuff will be in small containers/bags. At the last swap me and my son had between 15 and 20 bags in the lunchbox I was carrying around.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What day is everyone thinking of going? I am a little concerned if I go on Sunday, if any vendors will leave before the day before. The turnout was pretty poor last year and I imagine it being worse. People were already packing early last year.
I will be there Saturday, not sure if it will be at the opening or if we'll wait. My son works nights so he took off Saturday night so we could go on Saturday. He works Friday night so timing will depend on if he needs to take a few hours nap before heading to the show. Luckily I live up by Frisco so it is a quick trip for us unlike most of the frag swaps.

OP
OP
Reef A Palooza Texas

Reef A Palooza Texas

View Badges
Reaction score
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas Frisco Hotel & Con
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefapalooza Texas is set to make a splash tomorrow, promising an unforgettable aquatic experience for all reef enthusiasts! If you still need tickets, you can get them at Reefapalooza Texas Tickets
Countdown Graphics TX 2023_SEE_YOU_TOM (1).jpg

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to go Saturday. Those plans, as always, are subject to interruption by my wife.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds pretty good. I hope there is some good stuff left in a couple hours.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was crowded when I got there around 1 but thinned out some by the time I left. Seemed like people were buying stuff which is good for vendors. Hydros is cool and I think will be on my next tank I am setting up soon. I did not realize the X10 has built in dosing pumps, that is a pretty good deal and very compact if space is limiting. Plus the Hydros is just so much nicer looking than the current Apex, which looks like it was designed by a blind man using discarded spare parts. Seriously I could not make the current Apex look uglier or junkier if I tried, whereas the Hydros looks relatively modern and sleek. I know function is most important in a controller, but I just don't want to pay $$$$ to put something ugly on my tank.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Lou Ekus is a charming gentleman and great rep for Tropic Marin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back