Reefbreeders EXO-ATO False Alarms

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi folks - looking to see if I can get some help. I bought a RB EXO about 6 weeks ago. I read a lot of reviews/opinions here and other places. Most were very positive. It is a nice little package for the money. I saw one comment that someone was getting false alarms and the unit was beeping a warning signal when nothing was wrong. That was the only negative issue I saw. So, I got mine installed and every few days I am getting the flase alarm when there is nothing wrong. When it does the FA I power it off and on and its ok for a few days then does it again. I beleive the comment on the FA was here on R2R but now I cant seem to find it. I tried emailing RB for support thru their website but did not get a response. Is there anyone else having a similar issue that got it resolved? I am ussually home and not traveling much now due to covid but I wouldnt trust this thing to leave it alone for more than a day or two.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lance, I have 2 systems running and both use the RB EXO ATO. I do have more alarms than I like, but I don't consider mins 'False Alarms'.

One is in the sump of my 90g DT & 25g sump/refugium. The other is in my 16g RFA breeding tank with just has a HOB filter and a small Tunze in-tank skimmer.

I find about half of the alarms or more are due to things getting in the way of the lens inside the tank at the water surface. Sometimes it's just bubbles, or a small bit of debris and sometimes it's just a snail! But some times the water level has fallen as if the ATO never did it's job.

On average I'd say I get an alarm once every 7 days. I just cycle the power and clear the water away from the lens (of it's bubbles or foam). Sometimes, like every couple of months, I do take the lens and the eye and clean them.

I agree the alarms are more frequent than I'd like. But on the other hand, I'd rather have more alarms than not have alarms and have a silent problem develop.

I had a float system before the RB ATO and it was even worse in terms of algae growing on the vertical slide that the float was to move up and down on and the float would hang up. And the float was much more time consuming to remove and clean.

OP
OP
L

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply. When I get the FA Im I'm not seeing any issue that should have caused it. And, it started pretty much within a week or so of installing the unit so it cant be dirty or algae issues. I can live with the FA as long as I am here close by but I would think if you were to get the FA the unit is not going to function correctly until it is reset.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try posting your original post in the RB sponsor forum here at R2R.

I know Logan (the owner of RB) and he tries pretty hard to do a good job with his customer service.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing...I thought it was the lack of activity in 48hr alarm since I dont have alot of evap due to having a solid lid.

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have this problem. I get an alarm about once every 4-5 days. Not 100% sure why as my ato reserve is always filled and nothing changes to the unit (I hardly ever work in the area where the ATO is located). But it doesn’t bother me tremendously. Just unplug, wait a few seconds, then re plug.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that if you are away once the ato is false alarming that its not going to function and top off the tank.
Once I go with a Mesh lid it shouldnt be an issue. Dont they make upgraded mesh lids for the Bio so you can get better lighting and such?

OP
OP
L

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE - It turns out that the ATO was working correctly. I was getting an alarm because the ATO was not running mpre than once every 2 days or so in my biocube. Logan at RB sent me the Prism sensor to excahnge with the EXO sensor which should work since it does not have the low usage alarm feature. Thanks to Loagan at RB for the outstanding customer service.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back