Reefbrite Question

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll I am looking to setup a new tank that I am wanting to be SPS dominant. It's going to measure roughly 39x14x14. I originally was looking at putting 3 AI 16 Prime HD's over it. But then came across the Reefbrite Lumi Lite and the Lumi Lite Pro. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out in figuring out if either would work for me. I was planning on running 3 36" bars total. I was going to run 2 of the Actinic Blues with one 50/50. I don't really have any experience with these lights and was wondering if I would be able to achieve necessary PAR with these 3 bars or not. I didn't know if I would need to run the Actinic Blue Pro's vs the standard or if I could achieve necessary PAR with the standard Lumi Lights being a shallower tank. Just in the interest of keeping the build as budget friendly as possible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
take a serious look at Orphek OR3-90 which are PAR monsters and cheaper

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking on BRS the 36" Orphek bars they have are more expensive than the Reefbrite. Are these the ones you're talking about or am I looking at the wrong ones? If these are the ones though and would give me necessary PAR I couldn't achieve with the Lumi Lites I would go that route. What configuration of the Orphek bars would you suggest if I went that route?

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running Lumi Lite Pros over both my 20H's and love them! I havent checked the light with a PAR meter yet but I have had to throttle them back to about 50-60% power so as to not risk nuking my corals with retna frying light. I ran two of the Pro's in actinic and one of the single strips (not XHO) in 50/50's. I got about a 15K look to the tank. I have been running them a while on mixed reef and things seem to be happy although they are a bit much for the few softies I have. One thing for sure though is you will like the incredible "Pop" they are going to give your corals!

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! Do you think with the shallower tank I could get away with just running 3 of the standard Lumi Lites? Or should I maybe do a standard 50/50 in the middle of 2 of the Pro actinic blues on the outside?

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! Do you think with the shallower tank I could get away with just running 3 of the standard Lumi Lites? Or should I maybe do a standard 50/50 in the middle of 2 of the Pro actinic blues on the outside?
Hard to say. In my 20 gallon high, I am running 2 Pros and one of the cheap single 50/50's and like it. I am however getting a pretty serious 15k look which many may not like as much as i do and I have them at about 50% (# 3 of the 5 settings available using the dimmer switch).

When I set up the other tank I am seriously considering going to the regular non XHO's as it will be softies (Zoas) and LPS as I dont think I need the added row of leds that the Pro's give you. There wont be any SPS in the tank. If I find this to be lacking and I doubt it will be, I will just buy the 5 light bracket and add a couple more strips over the tank as needed.

I am kinda new to these lights and still kinda feeling my way through still as an experiment. I am planning a much larger tank in the not too distant future and I think the Reef Brites are the route I am going to go depending how well the ones over a 20H work for me.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video, seems like the Pro's would be the way to go. I like the idea of them being able to hang higher for getting into the the tank versus using the mounting legs that come with the standards. I just need to decide if I need to try to replicate their numbers by running a 4th bar or if I'd be okay running the 3. I'm thinking I could be okay with 3 seeing as how the tank I am looking at is half as deep and half as wide as the one they used for their tests.

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! With this tank I'm gonna spend the money and rent the PAR meter from my LFS so I can get everything dialed in to best grow the SPS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back