Red Sea REEFER 250 ALL Pre-Conditioned and most CAPTIVE-BRED Fish, SPS, Zoanthids. Slow Poke Reef. WE HAVE WATER!! start page 61.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I believe are the top 10 parameters to test for in reef tanks. Pretty much in this order for importance. However Potassium's role in coral's health wasn't very well understood until lately and has been drawing more attention all the time.
  • temp
  • salinity
  • pH
  • alkalinity
  • PO4
  • calcium
  • NO3
  • ORP
  • magnesium
  • potassium

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Perfectly_Imperfekt1 no I have not researched it. Are you you using that method and what do you think? I’ve seen a few guys are using it. Is @Dal-Reef using it? I believe he has a Reefer 250 if I remember correctly. The problem I see with adding a lot of additives is that you’re just adding back what the skimmer is taking out. You just have to find a happy medium with the import and export. I will definitely Google RM And check it out and tell you all what I think although I’m pretty much set on using RS additives. Is RM for ULNS?

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 , next week I'm sending off my first ICP test to be done. Ordered my trace elements so I can add back what's needed, if anything. RM is for any system. If you have LPS, SPS, mixed reef, zoa's. Relatively cost effect and cheaper than other elements such as RS. After spending some time on RM facebook page and reading all the users comments and the amount of information that's passed around to help is awesome. Including the owner/creator of RM Andre. Like anything else, it's what you put into it that you get back. The best part of this RM method is that you know exactly what you're adding back to the tank and you're tracking it. No water changes, to hardly any if needed. There's too many times that I've adding things to my tank and thought I wonder if that's enough, does it really work(snake oil). There's too many people that have success and such a great support group to not try it. Especially because I have a small tank and I tried other methods over the years. Take a look at this link and read the handbook to get a basis on it, Then check out RM Facebook page.

The skimmer won't effect the elements as much as you think. Also people are running carbon at some level too. You're adding each raw trace element back to the tank individually , not a mixture of nutrients in a bottle such as AB+, etc.

example of all the trace elements and additives; flouride, boron, nickel, zinc, rubidium, etc. Each in their own bottle.

save.PNG

Everyone's tank is different obviously. I will keep you posted on my thread how this RM works and my monthly ICP test, and corrections. Theoretically you can stop monthly tests and go to every couple months or 3 months once you get down what your tanks uses based on it's live stock. This has been proven in the RM group.

Last edited:
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 , next week I'm sending off my first ICP test to be done. Ordered my trace elements so I can add back what's needed, if anything. RM is for any system. If you have LPS, SPS, mixed reef, zoa's. Relatively cost effect and cheaper than other elements such as RS. After spending some time on RM facebook page and reading all the users comments and the amount of information that's passed around to help is awesome. Including the owner/creator of RM Andre. Like anything else, it's what you put into it that you get back. The best part of this RM method is that you know exactly what you're adding back to the tank and you're tracking it. No water changes, to hardly any if needed. There's too many times that I've adding things to my tank and thought I wonder if that's enough, does it really work(snake oil). There's too many people that have success and such a great support group to not try it. Especially because I have a small tank and I tried other methods over the years. Take a look at this link and read the handbook to get a basis on it, Then check out RM Facebook page.

The skimmer won't effect the elements as much as you think. Also people are running carbon at some level too. You're adding each raw trace element back to the tank individually , not a mixture of nutrients in a bottle such as AB+, etc.

example of all the trace elements and additives; flouride, boron, nickel, zinc, rubidium, etc. Each in their own bottle.

save.PNG

Everyone's tank is different obviously. I will keep you posted on my thread how this RM works and my monthly ICP test, and corrections. Theoretically you can stop monthly tests and go to every couple months or 3 months once you get down what your tanks uses based on it's live stock. This has been proven in the RM group.

@Perfectly_Imperfekt1 thanks for the link. I checked out the website but didn’t check out the user guide as I didn’t have time. How much info is there to read? When I first heard of the method I thought Vodka dosing hence the name Moonshiner’s. I would really appreciate you updating your progress with the method. It will really be interesting.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Perfectly_Imperfekt1 no I have not researched it. Are you you using that method and what do you think? I’ve seen a few guys are using it. Is @Dal-Reef using it? I believe he has a Reefer 250 if I remember correctly. The problem I see with adding a lot of additives is that you’re just adding back what the skimmer is taking out. You just have to find a happy medium with the import and export. I will definitely Google RM And check it out and tell you all what I think although I’m pretty much set on using RS additives. Is RM for ULNS?
I am running it and love. My tank is exploding with growth. I am about to tear it down since will be traveling full time in our new RV. After that will be building a new home with my own Fish room and 300 gallon. I would high recommend the Moonshiner process. It really super easy to follow. Check out my build tread with lots of pics. Here is our new coach we will be rolling in. Just cannot run a tank in it :p
20211017_093126.jpg

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Perfectly_Imperfekt1 thanks for the link. I checked out the website but didn’t check out the user guide as I didn’t have time. How much info is there to read? When I first heard of the method I thought Vodka dosing hence the name Moonshiner’s. I would really appreciate you updating your progress with the method. It will really be interesting.
@powers2001 , there's a lot to absorb. But it's not uncommon to read it several times and then again. LOL. But so much worth it. Just as @Dal-Reef said, the growth was exploding. One of the joking bad things about RM method is that you need a bigger tank, or more fragging/cropping of corals because of the growth. Definitely will keep you posted on my thread. Keep warm up there!

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running it and love. My tank is exploding with growth. I am about to tear it down since will be traveling full time in our new RV. After that will be building a new home with my own Fish room and 300 gallon. I would high recommend the Moonshiner process. It really super easy to follow. Check out my build tread with lots of pics. Here is our new coach we will be rolling in. Just cannot run a tank in it :p
20211017_093126.jpg
@Dal-Reef glad you found a method you like and glad it's giving you good growth. ;-) I like your RV, looks all pimped out. Good luck with your new house and tank !!!

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 , there's a lot to absorb. But it's not uncommon to read it several times and then again. LOL. But so much worth it. Just as @Dal-Reef said, the growth was exploding. One of the joking bad things about RM method is that you need a bigger tank, or more fragging/cropping of corals because of the growth. Definitely will keep you posted on my thread. Keep warm up there!
@Perfectly_Imperfekt1 I finally skimmed over the moonshine user guide and I think it's doable although my heart is still set on RS trace/nutrients. I plan to do some more research on RM and who knows it might win me over!! Two things of note I saw was Rubidium dosing for Zoanthids and other softies. Never heard of it. I plan to have a lot of Zoas. And the other thing was Spirulina for Phosphate? I've thought about phytoplankton from Easy Reefs. It keeps for 6 months without refrigeration. I believe Spirulina is a type of phytoplankton. As far as Montana weather, it finally got above freezing today and the sun actually came out!!

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001, it's very interesting. Do you have a FB page? Check out the RM method FB page. Tons of tons of things to read from actual users and the founder of FM. Cool stuff to read and compare. Geek out. LOL! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1755992217822887/?multi_permalinks=4731292476959498

Spirulina is a great and natural way to raise phosphates. So is phyto. Spirulina you just use the powder form from Amazon. It's a type of cyno bateria. Lots of good reading about good bacterial in our tanks and how it effects our coral growth. It's good for human consumption too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a air flow meter from Dwyer. I will have to keep an eye on skimmer air intake at least until I have the air intake balanced out between when skimmer is drawing air through CO2 reactor and drawing air from ambient source. Without setting the air drawing’s between the two to be the same there would normally be a big drop of air draw when the air solenoid switches to CO2 scrubbing. The air flow going through the scrubber is impeded by media. The switching of the solenoid between the two air sources could potentially raise or lower the water level in the skimmer according to air draw volume. With this meter I can measure air volume to balance between two sources: reactor and, room or ambient.

—Mitch.

B8EE997F-884D-45BF-828D-B10C6949F8CD.jpeg

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001, it's very interesting. Do you have a FB page? Check out the RM method FB page. Tons of tons of things to read from actual users and the founder of FM. Cool stuff to read and compare. Geek out. LOL! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1755992217822887/?multi_permalinks=4731292476959498

Spirulina is a great and natural way to raise phosphates. So is phyto. Spirulina you just use the powder form from Amazon. It's a type of cyno bateria. Lots of good reading about good bacterial in our tanks and how it effects our coral growth. It's good for human consumption too.
@Perfectly_Imperfekt1 I just joined the FB group so I’ll check that out too when member request is fulfilled. Never heard about Spirulina for phosphate but well aware of human consumption. Mom owned health food store for 20 years where I worked.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building shelves for inside the cabinet. Cut up the pieces with circular saw. Added brackets to shelves. Cut holes with hole saw for routing cords. Checked the fit. Ready to paint Apex orange. Waiting for grommets for cord holes.

—Mitch.

6EF1CFE1-E414-4754-B6C5-7A16404ECB48.jpeg

A94CDB87-810C-4BA8-8425-5B79FD2623EE.jpeg

C6368E8F-AAE6-431D-BB06-94B08B5D1A30.jpeg

2A367755-A330-47AB-A01D-95E2A881278D.jpeg

DA8D0F11-6397-4D8D-84ED-0D896DA20700.jpeg

21055577-9044-4B07-8F63-67AAB02B5C86.jpeg

5C2C424C-6EE2-4FD9-A689-7E09BA233A8F.jpeg

A2EC2867-3CB4-48DD-9B50-5AD1F8AE88B7.png

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank going in this room what was once the dining room. Against that wall.

Bottom pic air conditioner goes in that window. Window might have to be enlarged to accommodate the A/C. Tank can’t be setup until window enlarged if needed.

—Mitch.

5C68056B-D632-46A3-AEF4-B4F59B8B2BFF.jpeg

02BA0D2D-F09A-4059-A50D-A4AC2C902042.jpeg

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a UV to fit inside the cabinet. Pentair couldn’t go anywhere. Also picked up a lighter skimmer to use on lighter bioload until load high enough for the Octo Essence skimmer. Bubble Magus Z-Series extremely small footprint. Will do unboxings later.

—Mitch.

EBBDE0D3-853B-418F-AB26-0987AB5AEAFF.jpeg

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the uv unboxed. Pretty basic. Ordered the mounting brackets today. I might run it 12 hours on and 12 hours off to keep from killing beneficial bacteria but still kill pest organisms.

7B2D85C0-886F-404E-8281-1C9BCED3DC50.jpeg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a UV to fit inside the cabinet. Pentair couldn’t go anywhere. Also picked up a lighter skimmer to use on lighter bioload until load high enough for the Octo Essence skimmer. Bubble Magus Z-Series extremely small footprint. Will do unboxings later.

—Mitch.

EBBDE0D3-853B-418F-AB26-0987AB5AEAFF.jpeg
I was looking at Aqua UV for my 250. I have a 57 watt in my 900. What watt is that one?

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb that uv is 13 watts.
@Jeffcb let me elaborate on the size of this UV. I can’t remember the rule of thumb for the number of watts per gallon but Aqua Ultraviolet company rates this 13 Watt for a 75 USG system. Their 8 Watt unit they rate for a 70 USG system at least that’s what BRS says on their product description. I went for the 13 Watt it was only about $30 more but I have a custom sump that’s around 21 USG + DT 54 USG = 75 G. Today I’m going to take the housing of this uv and the shelves I made before applying another paint coat and make sure I can get both inside the cabinet. I’ll make a post on it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back