Reefer 250 Overflow Very Loud

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I inherited a Red Sea Reefer 250 about two years ago, and during transport, the heavily-modified overflow pipe the original owner had installed broke, so I had been using the emergency drain pipe for this entire time. However, I finally got all the replacement parts for the main overflow pipe and installed them tonight, and I noticed that it is incredibly, ridiculously loud. I tried adjusting the valve on the pipe, the power of my return pump, and raising/lowering the water level, as well as taking off the silencer, but nothing made any difference. How can I quiet it down? Or is it supposed to be this loud? Here is a video of the sound, please let me know if you need pictures of the sump.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you want to so is set the desired pump speed to what you want then open the valve all the way open. Then start closing it (1/8" to 1/4" turns) with a 30-second wait between adjustments. When the water level reaches the edge of the emergency overflow, stop.

This should eliminate the vast majority of any water noise aside from an occasional trickle down the emergency overflow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not completely convinced the valve is even doing anything - I turned it all the way to the left, which took about 10 full rotations. Even when it seemed like it should have been completely closed, it was still going as though it was fully open. I tried turning it a little further left, and now it feels a little stuck, but the water flow is still going strong and is just as loud

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not completely convinced the valve is even doing anything - I turned it all the way to the left, which took about 10 full rotations. Even when it seemed like it should have been completely closed, it was still going as though it was fully open. I tried turning it a little further left, and now it feels a little stuck, but the water flow is still going strong and is just as loud
You need to start with it turned completely clockwise to the right answer then slowly open it with micro adjustments to the left. You want the water level just below the over flow pipe.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the overflow should be completely submerged? I noticed that the water level in the overflow box is really low, should I add more water first?
You may have to add more water when all is said and done (just look at your return pump chamber). When the water level is right near the edge of the emergency overflow pipe in the overflow - that's where you want it.

Upvote 0
Back