Reefer 250 V3 Gate Valve Install

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I have a Reefer 250 with the V3 sump and I wanted to swap the red sea valve with a gate valve and these are the parts I needed and pics of what I did.

A. CoralVue PVC-CPLG-32 32mm Metric Standard Coupling (Purchased from CoralVue)
B. CoralVue 32mm to 1" Metric to Standard PVC Adapter (Purchased from Bulk Reef)
C. 1” Spears Gate Valve Slip x Slip (Purchased from Bulk Reef)

1” Schedule 80 Pipe Grey 46" length (Purchased from Bulk Reef)

I cut the pipe into a 2inch piece to fit between B and C, and a 16in piece to go out the bottom into the sump.

I also had to move the pipe holder down a bit. I didn't know if there was an easier way to do this but it worked out great.

I cleaned up the rough edges with a file and used Oatey grey PVC cement no primer.

Gate.jpg
RedSeaValve.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job! May I ask, what's so bad about the RSR valves? Ive seen a couple people remove theirs now and am genuinely curious as to why.

OP
OP
Zotch

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job! May I ask, what's so bad about the RSR valves? Ive seen a couple people remove theirs now and am genuinely curious as to why.

People claim over time the valve gets gunked up and they have to adjust it a lot or open it to clean it.. While mine is brand new and not showing any issues I wanted to do this to possibly avoid issues down the road. And I felt like tinkering a bit :)

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

B. CoralVue 32mm to 1" Metric to Standard PVC Adapter (Purchased from Bulk Reef)

Gate.jpg
RedSeaValve.jpg
I have a quick question. Why did you need Part A? 32mm Metric Standard Coupling? Why can't part B glue directly to the 32mm piping above A?
I ask because Coralvue is out of stock on the PVC-CPLG-32 (Part A). If I really need this part, do you know any other manufacturers of plumbing fittings that can supply the same part?

GreatOthersBrother

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part B and the 32mm pipe are the same OD. They won't fit. You can get some flex tube from your local hardware store and slip the 32MM pipe into then hose clamp them together. That is what I did while waiting on my coupler. I put the gate valve on the horizontal pipe not the vertical though.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zotch. I recently got the V3 sump. Just got the reefer 350 a few weeks ago. I used the same parts you did to mod the spear valve, however it looks like your return piping is on the Left side wall of the cabinet? My return is to the right side of the cabinet. (When facing the tank from the front)

Did I install the sump backwards? but how is that possible, my return pump is still behind the return line from the overflow.. .

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zotch. I recently got the V3 sump. Just got the reefer 350 a few weeks ago. I used the same parts you did to mod the spear valve, however it looks like your return piping is on the Left side wall of the cabinet? My return is to the right side of the cabinet. (When facing the tank from the front)

Did I install the sump backwards? but how is that possible, my return pump is still behind the return line from the overflow.. .
You have it correct, I also have Reefer 350 v3

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I have a Reefer 250 with the V3 sump and I wanted to swap the red sea valve with a gate valve and these are the parts I needed and pics of what I did.

C. 1” Spears Gate Valve Slip x Slip (Purchased from Bulk Reef)

1” Schedule 80 Pipe Grey 46" length (Purchased from Bulk Reef)

I cut the pipe into a 2inch piece to fit between B and C, and a 16in piece to go out the bottom into the sump.

I also had to move the pipe holder down a bit. I didn't know if there was an easier way to do this but it worked out great.

I cleaned up the rough edges with a file and used Oatey grey PVC cement no primer.

Gate.jpg
RedSeaValve.jpg
How much did you leave hanging off the 90 elbow at the top to slide the coupling over? Would a 32mm slip x slip union adapter work here as well, or is the space too tight?

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did you leave hanging off the 90 elbow at the top to slide the coupling over? Would a 32mm slip x slip union adapter work here as well, or is the space too tight?

Yes, I did a union slip adaptor. Then I moved the clip drilled into the cabinet appropriately lower since the union is larger.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you didn't use primer? Is it unnecessary? Will be following your steps exactly to swap out my Red Sea Valve with a Spears Gate Valve.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back